• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So, your saying that the AWB governed NFA items as well? I'm asking, been curious about this.

How did that effect other things NFA?

Not sure it did, but F1 ing a rifle post ban IS making a new rifle(SBR) and subject to all the new rules.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So, your saying that the AWB governed NFA items as well? I'm asking, been curious about this.

How did that effect other things NFA?

NFA is effected by many other regulations such as 922r. The 94 AWB was no different.

For instance a post ban AR (Lets say it was made in 1997) could have a FIXED Stock, Pistol Grip, and Muzzle Brake (Which had to be PINNED to the Barrel if there was threads). You could NOT put a Sound Suppressor on that gun because it would mean TWO Evil Features exist on a Post Ban gun.

In order to use a sound suppressor you would have to put a Thumbhole Stock or a CA Compliant "Non Pistol Grip" Grip to remove the one "evil feature" ro get another "evil feature"

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    So just to be clear... I have some pre-10/13 lowers and some post-10/13 lowers.

If I SBR the pre-10/13 lowers, they get a new mfg. date and then what... I have to immediately strip the current non-HBAR uppers and can't put any non-HBAR uppers back on ever again?

If I SBR the post-10/13 lowers, I lose nothing because they're already stuck w/ HBAR uppers in MD unless I put shorty uppers on them, which I can do in any profile or configuration I like because they're NFA weapons and no longer governed by the Firearms Safety Act?

I suppose I'll just buy a bunch of cheap HBARs to SBR, then.

Also... ProtegeV, tell me more about your theory on engraving (or not). PM if you'd like.

-Rob

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

If I SBR the pre-10/13 lowers, they get a new mfg. date and then what... I have to immediately strip the current non-HBAR uppers and can't put any non-HBAR uppers back on ever again?

If I SBR the post-10/13 lowers, I lose nothing because they're already stuck w/ HBAR uppers in MD unless I put shorty uppers on them, which I can do in any profile or configuration I like because they're NFA weapons and no longer governed by the Firearms Safety Act?

Also... ProtegeV, tell me more about your theory on engraving (or not). PM if you'd like.

-Rob

Im referring to how the ATF handles other laws and regs. I cannot say how the MSP views the issue.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

-Rob

This is my understanding of MD law. As well.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    IANAL.
    But the ATF views a SBR in two distinct states. As an SBR when it has a short upper on it and *NOT* a SBR when it it has a long upper on it. When you have a long upper on it you have manufactured nothing in their eyes. FWIW, You can even write them to permanently rescind the stamp if you like and *presto* it just like it was before. So my INTERPRETATION as to how MD sees it and what I have been doing:
    1) A pre-Oct 2013 lower can forever have any profile >16" upper on it.
    2) A pre-Oct 2013 lower that was SBR'ed post Oct2013 must abide by FSA2013 when its SBR'ed. When a >16" upper is on it, it reverts to #1 (its not a SBR.)
    3) A post-Oct 2013 lower must always abide by FSA2013 limits (whether SBR'ed or not.)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I agree with Chad that, if you think there is an AWB coming down the pipe, you are way better off sitting on SBRs than rifles when that hits.

HauptsAriba

Feb 16, 2014
    Anne Arundel
    IANAL.
    But the ATF views a SBR in two distinct states. As an SBR when it has a short upper on it and *NOT* a SBR when it it has a long upper on it. When you have a long upper on it you have manufactured nothing in their eyes. FWIW, You can even write them to permanently rescind the stamp if you like and *presto* it just like it was before. So my INTERPRETATION as to how MD sees it and what I have been doing:
    1) A pre-Oct 2013 lower can forever have any profile >16" upper on it.
    2) A pre-Oct 2013 lower that was SBR'ed post Oct2013 must abide by FSA2013 when its SBR'ed. When a >16" upper is on it, it reverts to #1 (its not a SBR.)
    3) A post-Oct 2013 lower must always abide by FSA2013 limits (whether SBR'ed or not.)

I would have to agree with this, and hope it's correct. Otherwise, SBRing a pre oct13 lower would diminish the overall options of said item.

I'm thinking that the only rule is the 29> issue. Since it's no longer a long gun, it should not matter what profile the barrell is. I hope.....comments welcome.

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    I would gladly buy someone lunch if we could meet and help walk me through the Form 1 process. I purchased a trust and want to SBR at least my 300 BLK and hope to add a can but want to make sure I don't screw anything up.

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Assume money isn't an issue - is there any reason to not SBR all of my current ARs?

Can I SBR a post-FSA HBAR upper and do anything I want with it?

-Rob

Voluntary national registration & "introducing the man into your life".

Harder to sell NFA items if you ever planned to.

Prospect of 10yrs in federal prison and $250k fine if you or your family screw something up during transport or transfer.

Getting harassed at the range to "show your papers".

Other than that....

Last edited:

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Here's one recent example I've come across. Yea, could be a fairytale but not hard to find these on the interwebz.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1...nge_and_my_SBR_mix__My_range_day_.html&page=1

OP asked for "any reason" to reconsider so I just wanted to lay it out there. Probably not a likely problem but I'd want to know about the possibility if roles reversed.

Even with that story, it's just a range commando being an *******. Not rogue atf agents doing random inspections at gun ranges...

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I've had a RO at Hap Baker ask for suppressor papers. And I've been at the range in Blacksburg VA when the cops were called. Apparently someone nearby calls them when they hear mgs. Officers checked the man's paperwork (he was an 07ffl) and went on their way. Very polite. They were just responding to a call and doing their job. So it does happen.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I've had a RO at Hap Baker ask for suppressor papers. And I've been at the range in Blacksburg VA when the cops were called. Apparently someone nearby calls them when they hear mgs. Officers checked the man's paperwork (he was an 07ffl) and went on their way. Very polite. They were just responding to a call and doing their job. So it does happen.

The second part is understandable. Douchy, but understandable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom