• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    Assume money isn't an issue - is there any reason to not SBR all of my current ARs?

Can I SBR a post-FSA HBAR upper and do anything I want with it?

-Rob

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    The ONLY reason I don't have an SBR is because I love to take different rifles to hunt coyotes, and they wont let us hunt with an SBR. That is really the only reason. If I had some wicked cool 10.5" AR all I will want to do is wack a coyote with it. Maybe I could on private property......hmmm

I shot one with my Garand, next I plan to use my "Nam AR" for one, then the M1A.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The ONLY reason I don't have an SBR is because I love to take different rifles to hunt coyotes, and they wont let us hunt with an SBR. That is really the only reason. If I had some wicked cool 10.5" AR all I will want to do is wack a coyote with it. Maybe I could on private property......hmmm

I shot one with my Garand, next I plan to use my "Nam AR" for one, then the M1A.

who is "they"? The state?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Yes you can and you can always slap an Hbar upper back on if the need arises.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I wouldn't SBR all of them, which ever one's would suit the purpose better, but not all of them. Lot's of shit to write to ATF if you plan to go out of state. Even if you write a length of time letter..hassle.

bbrown

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 10, 2009
    MD
    SBRs aren't as easy to sell as standard rifles.

I know, I know, you don't understand the meaning of the word "sell". :)

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Yes and no. see my post above.

You do not need to file a form 20 if you have a >16" upper on it. The ATF has clarified this in a letter. A rifle that is registered as a SBR that is not currently in a SBR configuration is simply a plain rifle, not a SBR. So throw a 16" upper on and go over state lines all you want. You may NOT bring the short upper with you unless you filed a form 20 (clarified in the letter).

The only reason not to SBR all your lowers is the stamp and engraving cost plus the diminished resale value. (no one likes having YOUR trust info on a common lower.)

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The only reason not to SBR all your lowers is the stamp and engraving cost plus the diminished resale value. (no one likes having YOUR trust info on a common lower.)

If you belive that a lower with a serial number on it actually requires engraving as an SBR :innocent0

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    You do not need to file a form 20 if you have a >16" upper on it. The ATF has clarified this in a letter. A rifle that is registered as a SBR that is not currently in a SBR configuration is simply a plain rifle, not a SBR. So throw a 16" upper on and go over state lines all you want. You may NOT bring the short upper with you unless you filed a form 20 (clarified in the letter).

Interesting. So what if your SBR started life as a pistol. If you bring it back to pistol configuration can you transport it out of state without notification?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Interesting. So what if your SBR started life as a pistol. If you bring it back to pistol configuration can you transport it out of state without notification?

Yes. As long as you remove the stock(adjustable gas can stay) and any VFG.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side

If you're planning to "wack" a coyote with it, I'd suggest a longer barrel might give you longer reach and thus a tactical advantage. If you looking for the challenge of a an up close "wack", I'd suggest using a pistol and giving it a good whip. In my experience it is difficult to get close enough to wack coyote with a pistol. I did it once but witnesses think the coyote might have actually been a feral cat.

If on the other hand you are looking to shoot a coyote, I can't give advice because i don't hunt and don't know hunting rules.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

Are you saying for all of the OPs lowers since they are post 10/13 our was that a general to everyone's lowers? I was under the impression that if you SBR a pre 10/13 receiver, the lower now has a new manufacture date which is post 10/13 and you are no longer allowed to put non HBAR uppers on it.

That is why I ended up SBRing a post 10/13 lower.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    If you're planning to "wack" a coyote with it, I'd suggest a longer barrel might give you longer reach and thus a tactical advantage. If you looking for the challenge of a an up close "wack", I'd suggest using a pistol and giving it a good whip. In my experience it is difficult to get close enough to wack coyote with a pistol. I did it once but witnesses think the coyote might have actually been a feral cat.

If on the other hand you are looking to shoot a coyote, I can't give advice because i don't hunt and don't know hunting rules.

Well, out here we do this almost every "range" trip since we shoot on national grassland. They are EVERYWHERE. The one I "wacked" with the Garand came to my hand call from behind, and was startLed when it saw me about 20 feet away. She took off on a run when she heard my safety come off, and I hit her at about 10 yards. It depends where you are hunting. This was in the mountains, where they can't see far. If you do your part, it is typically within 75 yards. Grasslands, can be as far as you feel you can shoot it. I'm happy to answer any questions you have in regards to how to do it. :innocent0

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    If they pass a NEW Federal AWB you will regret not SBR'ing them.

Most people did not know this about the 1994 AWB. If you had a pre 94 AR15, you could retain more than ONE of the "Evil Features" which are Pistol Grip. Folding/Collapsible Stock, Bayonet Lug, Threaded Barrel, or Flash Hider (Silencers are Flash Hiders).

If you decided to take your pre 94 AR15 and do a Form 1 to BR it in 1998, it then became a NEW firearm, thus it can only then have ONE "Evil Feature". Sorta sucks IMO.

Im going to Form 1, 2 more of my Lowers NOW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom