• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Hey all, I should be getting my renewal for my federal taxidermy permit in about a month, and I can do waterfowl again after having let the permit lapse a few years due to lack of duck taking in my old location. Now I am in HDG, aka decoy town. I prefer ducks only, geese can be a total PIA LOL. I'm not too interested in trying duck hunting myself though. I just know if I went woody hunting with someone I'd be too distracted by beaver, muskrat, mink, and otter sign sure to be there. Mallards make me think of raccoons and coon trapping LOL. Every other duck except sea ducks makes me think of fox trapping LMAO.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Hey all, I should be getting my renewal for my federal taxidermy permit in about a month, and I can do waterfowl again after having let the permit lapse a few years due to lack of duck taking in my old location. Now I am in HDG, aka decoy town. I prefer ducks only, geese can be a total PIA LOL. I'm not too interested in trying duck hunting myself though. I just know if I went woody hunting with someone I'd be too distracted by beaver, muskrat, mink, and otter sign sure to be there. Mallards make me think of raccoons and coon trapping LOL. Every other duck except sea ducks makes me think of fox trapping LMAO.

I breast out most of my birds so the left overs end up as bait in 220 box sets for coon.

HarCo.45

Nov 4, 2010
    Went out to try and find some last minute wood ducks.... Didnt get anything but a Hooded Merganser drake.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Not a fan of water fowl hunting (I'm a fair weather type of guy :D)but have been quite a few times over the yrs. (average 2-3 days a season).Back OT,1 thing I saw yrs. ago on a hunt and occasionally on T.V. was "flags".Is that a last resort technique or a proven method for geese?

Proven. Sean Mann (very successful Eastern Shore guide) claims he uses a flag every hunt.
    yeah, sean told me if you are working an area that doesnt get alot of migratory traffic, its better to save the flag for when they get educated. less call,more flag and let them do their thing.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    OK so Ive been doing some research and I am tight on cash...selling a house is getting more and more expensive....anyway I was thinking how could I make my own decoys instead of spending tons on shells.

I stumbled upon this and wanted to get your thoughts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYz78JS_PJw
    jpo, i have maybe 3 dozen siloettes cut out that need to be painted and staked. half the work is already done if you want to come get them. If you want, you can come down for a morning goose hunt in the first split and i will send them home with you.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    For goose hunting do I need decoys?

If you have a place to hunt, I have plenty of decoys I can bring along and two layout blinds. Have not seen much movement around here in Howard County, but probably going to hunt a field over here Saturday morning, maybe even Friday morning.

If you find a field that the birds really, really want to get into, then a dozen or two decoys will do the job. I run about 12 dozen shell decoys and just got permission from my wife to buy a couple dozen big feet after the new year.

Edit to add: Just realized that Saturday is opening day for geese. I hate opening days on the weekends.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I scored a public land goose pit reservation in Cecil county for Saturday. I can invite up to three other hunters. I have a dozen full body decoys and a bunch of goose rags. I have only minimal experience from the last two seasons and would appreciate someone who wouldn't mind sharing their hard earned goose hunting wisdom. PM if you are interested or for details.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Just finished up 3.5 dozen Final Approach last night (flocked heads and tails):

Very nice. The biggest problem with full bodied geese is if you have to travel to different fields or if you cannot secure them in your blind in the field you hunt. I', still going to get a bunch of them anyway. Just need to take more people along to hunt so they can help put everything out.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    Very nice. The biggest problem with full bodied geese is if you have to travel to different fields or if you cannot secure them in your blind in the field you hunt. I', still going to get a bunch of them anyway. Just need to take more people along to hunt so they can help put everything out.

X2 full bodies are a lot of work! I think I like the flocked shells with motion steaks just as much as the full bodies. Hard to beat 10 dozen FFD full bodies though, that's my goal if somebody happens to die and leave me an inheretance:innocent0

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    X2 full bodies are a lot of work! I think I like the flocked shells with motion steaks just as much as the full bodies. Hard to beat 10 dozen FFD full bodies though, that's my goal if somebody happens to die and leave me an inheretance:innocent0

Yep, they are a ton of work. Putting them out takes forever and if you have to move them to different fields it is even worse. They are on sale at Cabelas for $135 per 6 right now. Told my wife that this morning and she said "That isn't bad, why don't you get a couple dozen." Going to hold off until after we fund the kids' 529 plans though. My brother wants to get a new trailer, so I will probably take his old single axle trailer, enclose it, and make it into a decoy hauler.

Best way to hunt with a lot of full bodied geese is with a pit blind where you can store everything in the blind and lock it up. Working on buying my own farm so I don't have to ask permission to put a pit blind in.

Franklin

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 12, 2012
    close to budds creek
    yeah i made a half ass hauler out of a lawn trailer last year. helped alot to be able to keep the heads and stands on!
    Yep, they are a ton of work. Putting them out takes forever and if you have to move them to different fields it is even worse. They are on sale at Cabelas for $135 per 6 right now. Told my wife that this morning and she said "That isn't bad, why don't you get a couple dozen." Going to hold off until after we fund the kids' 529 plans though. My brother wants to get a new trailer, so I will probably take his old single axle trailer, enclose it, and make it into a decoy hauler.

Best way to hunt with a lot of full bodied geese is with a pit blind where you can store everything in the blind and lock it up. Working on buying my own farm so I don't have to ask permission to put a pit blind in.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'm looking at bags, I want ones that work with the stands on though.

Enclosed trailer is obviously ideal, but kind of a big investment with no other planned uses for it.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011

Hattrick

Mar 7, 2013
    Me and two buddies killed 6 mallards, 7 green wing teal and 1 hen woody this morning. Not a bad day sit i would say

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom