• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Slightly off topic, anyone check rail tracks around road crossings on train routes to power plants for coal? If there are enough bumps coal spills off the cars. Might get bituminous instead of anthracite and I wouldn't want to depend on this supply for a primary heating source. It is free.

Back in the depression the kids used to hop slow moving coal trains and kick the coal off then walk back along the tracks picking it up to be able to have some heat in their homes.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Just brought home from my shop what I will presume to be the last ton I'll need for this season. Next year I think I'm going to get a full 22 ton TT load and do a small amount of retailing in 1 ton bulk sack quantities. For me, the bulk sacks are easier than setting up a bin or other means for bulk delivery to my home. I can shovel right out of the sack into a 5 gallon bucket and take it inside daily that way.

Swaged

May 30, 2011
    North of North Laurel
    Hard to imagine peeps with natural gas want to burn wood to offset the cost of other fuel? Is Natural Gas that expensive?

No, it's about a comfort level. Radiant heat beats forced air any day.

==========================

Burning wood is WORK, any way you slice it, "free", dropped off, already downed, whatever, it's a total PITA. Coal isn't near the work of wood, half the mess, far more BTU's than even the best hardwoods, much easier stove to run (and keep going, 100% of the season nonstop).

For BTU/cost comparison try this - http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/fuel_cost_comparison_calculator/

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Slightly off topic, anyone check rail tracks around road crossings on train routes to power plants for coal? If there are enough bumps coal spills off the cars. Might get bituminous instead of anthracite and I wouldn't want to depend on this supply for a primary heating source. It is free.

HaHa!
    That reminds me of one of my Father's stories about his childhood.
    He grew up in Southwestern Virginia and his job was to walk along the tracks behind his house and collect coal. I don't believe my Grandfather ever had to buy any coal!

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Hey how much do you guys think is reasonable for a new coal stove and installation ? My budget is about $3000, I really can't spend more than this. I don't have an existing fireplace or chimney in my house, so it would need a complete install. Not sure if you need a backdrop or some kind of stone platform for the stove to stand on ? Is this doable / reasonable? Or am I way low balling here.

tailboardtech

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2011
    upperco
    I'd say lowbaliling it more than likely the chimney alone is going to run you that with a pre manufactured chimney and also installation . You need to have a fire resistance flooring under it when I worked for bumgartners they were about $200 and heavy as hell. The stove depending on the size will be $1000+ unless you find a sale or a good used one. With a coal stove you will have to make sure the grates are in good shape and not cracked.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    I'd say lowbaliling it more than likely the chimney alone is going to run you that with a pre manufactured chimney and also installation . You need to have a fire resistance flooring under it when I worked for bumgartners they were about $200 and heavy as hell. The stove depending on the size will be $1000+ unless you find a sale or a good used one. With a coal stove you will have to make sure the grates are in good shape and not cracked.

Ok thanks my logic was installation would be 2x the price of the stove. Thinking a stove was about 1,000 - 1,500. But sounds like I need to keep saving up to get this done before next winter.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Does anyone know where you can get bagged coal? Being the start of summer, it might be tough...

TSC did have it (Aberdeen anyway). If you call one they can check the inventory of others I believe.

If you want a BIG bag I have a few 2,000lb super sacks left over. Can load it right into a pick up for you.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    TSC did have it (Aberdeen anyway). If you call one they can check the inventory of others I believe.

If you want a BIG bag I have a few 2,000lb super sacks left over. Can load it right into a pick up for you.

2,000lb "super sacks"

That is something funny in a juvenile way! :D

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Hey how much do you guys think is reasonable for a new coal stove and installation ? My budget is about $3000, I really can't spend more than this. I don't have an existing fireplace or chimney in my house, so it would need a complete install. Not sure if you need a backdrop or some kind of stone platform for the stove to stand on ? Is this doable / reasonable? Or am I way low balling here.

Keep an eye out on craigslist. we got ours for a couple hundred bucks. They guy had bought the house and didnt want it. We drove 2 hours to get it. It was across the bridge in Annapolis.

dfens42

Publius
    Jun 7, 2012
    Free America-WV Province
    Slightly off topic coal furnace story:

House I am living in now in WV had a coal burning furnace when I was growing up. In order to convert it over to gas and central air, we had to torch the cast iron coal burner apart, and it still took 6 grown men to carry the 3 pieces.

Still have the coal chute and bin though :D

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    Defens I hear you on the heavy gauge of steal used on a coal burner. When I had my Insert installed it took three men and a dolly. By time we got it off the truck into my house and into the fireplace one guy hurt his back to the point he had to go to the hospital that evening. I ended up hearing that he was out of work for 3 months do to a disk issue it had caused.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I have started looking for coal already on craigslist. I may have to try and possibly catch up with PJDiesel and see if he still has some supersacks that he may want to part with. I would only need 1 for the up coming season. It would also be nice to introduce ourselves in person to fellow coal burners and MDS users. If I remember correctly PJ only lives about 5 miles from me too that I have read from previous post of his.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'm here. I have no problem selling one. They are located at my shop (Stevenson Road in North East).

Depending on how antsy the wife gets about "downsizing" to a smaller home, I might order a full TT load from Keystone in August.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    Ok Thanks PJ. Stevenson Road is not far from me at all. I pass it about 1 day a week when my wife and I go to our sons house. I see that road going the back way from our house to his down by the creek and old stone house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom