• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Is it possible to burn coal in a wood burning insert?

I have this insert:

http://www.regency-fire.com/Product...-Iron-Stoves,-Fireplaces---Inserts/HI300.aspx

HI300D-1872x1040.aspx

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Man I wish I had a place to store a ton of coal at one shot.
    Takes up exactly the same room as a standard pallet. Getting it off the truck is the issue I guess for most. I started out last year getting loose nut (bulk) at Duvalls and then Benjamins. Duvalls kinda sucks because they dump it into your truck, Benjamins has a yard guy who would help me load up 5 gallon buckets with a shovel. I prefer to be weighed in and out, makes sense to know exactly what you're paying for. Duvalls are good people, nice to have a local source for parts, I don't think I'll ever have a need to buy coal from them again though.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    All was good here with the Hitzer too. I have burned 1 ton since starting up on November 15 2014. Just had to get another half ton on Saturday. That should finish me off for the year with about a 1/4 ton left over.

How are you liking your coal stove Seagrave? I bet you love the amount of heat it puts off!

Love it! More importantly, the wife loves it! It's 77* right now and I'm wearing a thong! :D

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    I can't do these electric bills anymore. A heat pump is just not working for me. $400 electric bills and my house is still chilly. This past week has been brutal.

I have an 1100 sq. ft rancher. Any coal stove recommendations? I was thinking about going into the 'Stove Store' on route 40 in elkton and finally pulling the trigger. Anyone have experience with them?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Duvalls in Rising Sun or buy one used on Craigslist. I'd want to buy a stove from a retailer with coal experience. Duvalls heats their repair shop with coal and has both bulk and bagged for sale.

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    Man I wish I had a place to store a ton of coal at one shot.

I built a box 4' cubed with a sloped roof that lifts to fill. Bottom has a chute that I can lift to let the coal out. The box is up on blocks so a coal bucket can sit under the chute for filling.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I can't do these electric bills anymore. A heat pump is just not working for me. $400 electric bills and my house is still chilly. This past week has been brutal.

I have an 1100 sq. ft rancher. Any coal stove recommendations? I was thinking about going into the 'Stove Store' on route 40 in elkton and finally pulling the trigger. Anyone have experience with them?

That Stove Store on Route 40 seemed very high on pricing to me. I would say like what PJDiesel is telling you and go to someone with experience in coal like Duvall's, since they use what they sell or Wood Stoves and More in Claymont DE and talk to Joe.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Forgot about Woodstoves and More, they know coal stoves too. I've cleaned up a few sweet little antique parlor stoves for them.

Makanik

Oct 11, 2014
    Cecil Co. Maryland
    I built a box 4' cubed with a sloped roof that lifts to fill. Bottom has a chute that I can lift to let the coal out. The box is up on blocks so a coal bucket can sit under the chute for filling.

I need to build something for sure. I am using a plastic shipping crate right now. It is serving its purpose but I need bigger for a better savings.

moojersey

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Sep 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    Ok thanks for the heads up on pricing. I'm not very handy so I'm a little hesitant to buy a used one. I will def check out duvalls. I def want coal not wood for the better heat and less hassle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I need to build something for sure. I am using a plastic shipping crate right now. It is serving its purpose but I need bigger for a better savings.

I may be developing something this spring using a 330 gallon IBC tote (holds right around a full ton). Thought I was going to get to it this fall, but,... no go.

Duvalls is definitely the spot for people knowledgeable about coal stoves.:thumbsup:

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore

Byler's just west of Dover carries several coal stove models - http://bylers.com/stoveshoppe/index.html (they don't show coal on the site but they carry Hitzer and 1 other brand)

...............and they have really good ice cream too!

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Here is what i use. it's a Godin. we originally burned wood for the first year but then switched to coal and haven't looked back. its allot easier to deal with than wood. I get the coal from a place in Salisbury called Farmers and Planters. We buy it by the ton and use nut coal. We do have central heat and a/c but we use this as the main source of heat and it works great.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Slightly off topic, anyone check rail tracks around road crossings on train routes to power plants for coal? If there are enough bumps coal spills off the cars. Might get bituminous instead of anthracite and I wouldn't want to depend on this supply for a primary heating source. It is free.

MunkMaster

Aug 9, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    Thanks guys. My father in law liked our stove so much he got one just like it but in a blueish green and shorter. He also built the fire place(he is a retired Mason), and the chimney is the tallest free standing one he ever did. We have cathedral ceiling in the living room and it is 36 feet high. It was new construction and was built before the roof was built.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom