• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I do not know if I would take such a shot but the round is up to it and it seems that the shooter is as well.

I would love to see a picture of the rifle and scope.

So, when is someone going to make a 7mm/.50?

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    excellent shooting. i would LOVE to learn from you or anyone how to shoot long distance. thats a tough shot, on a not very big animal. 1000 yards on paper is impressive i dont care what anyone says. but the adrenaline of having the crosshairs on the animal in a hunt coupled with that distance and all the math that goes into it, and the shooting fundamentals you need...makes that a damn impressive shot.

out of curiosity, what makes you choose the custom 7mm load over say a custom hand loaded .338? i dont know jack about 7mm...but it sounds interesting..

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    ..how to shoot long distance.

A couple good and reliable sources on the internet I'd recommend to start:

Ryan Cleckner (former Army sniper) has a few videos through the NSSF where he explains MOA, Mils, Windage, and other aspects rifle shooting. I think they are some of the best on the web. A selection:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDrrJA14wtg&feature=relmfu
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA2PZBD5Tjg&feature=plcp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5AGsHSIsVo&feature=plcp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p026Y0WUy6Q&feature=plcp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTSBcNgGMNo&feature=relmfu

Mil-dot has extensive information on applying the mil-dot reticle. The information applies to other reticle as well.
    http://www.mil-dot.com/

Shooter Ready is a slick interactive application that lets you practice on the computer:
    http://www.shooterready.com/lrsdemo.html

Hope it helps to get you started!

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    out of curiosity, what makes you choose the custom 7mm load over say a custom hand loaded .338? i dont know jack about 7mm...but it sounds interesting..

It's not an off-the-rack 7mm; it's a wildcat from Allen Precision. Generally, AP rounds are standard rounds that have had their case capacity increased to get blistering speeds (in this case, a 7mm projectile in a necked down 338LM case.) Throwing a 175gr pill 3500fps, I can't image what the barrel life on that rifle must be; 800-1000 rounds?

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Thanks for the links and info guys. That is some super interesting stuff. I get it now, shitload of powder and smaller round. Guessing it has a great flat trajectory?

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Great shot, congratulations! One of these days I'm heading out west but I want more trigger time on game here and at the family farm in Michigan first.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I know I will get flamed here but this is not hunting, it is an exercise in equipment oneupmanship. Just because it is possible to shoot an animal from more than half a mile away it does not make it a good idea. Sorry, just my opinion.

:thumbsup: I have mixed emotions about long distance shots...sure its a kill and sure its technically hunting...but you arent challenging the animal at that range...Im more for the fair chase short range shots...but to each his own...

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    :thumbsup: I have mixed emotions about long distance shots...sure its a kill and sure its technically hunting...but you arent challenging the animal at that range...Im more for the fair chase short range shots...but to each his own...

But what about those who sit in a tree stand and wait until the animal walks by and then fires on the animal?

The one whitetail I took in my life I was shown where to sit and told where to watch. I was a guest with my boss, his dad and several uncles. They had hunted the same land for at least a decade and they had good intel on where the deer were and their trails. All I did was wait for the doe and I nailed here with a slug at 20 yards.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    But what about those who sit in a tree stand and wait until the animal walks by and then fires on the animal?

The one whitetail I took in my life I was shown where to sit and told where to watch. I was a guest with my boss, his dad and several uncles. They had hunted the same land for at least a decade and they had good intel on where the deer were and their trails. All I did was wait for the doe and I nailed here with a slug at 20 yards.

i agree. we share a range with deer hunters. "hunters". sitting in a tree stand above a feeder isnt hunting, its a cowardly ambush. a 1000 yard shot is more difficult than 15 feet with a crossbow or compound bow. tree stand/feeder hunting isnt hunting. its waiting. i wish i had a picture of what these fools do...

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I too have mixed emotions on long range hunting shots but I must say, that was impressive!!!!

For sure the OP had the equipment, knowledge and experience to make that shot.

For someone like myself who was thrilled to take a elk at 200+ yds, I am humbled.

:thumbsup:

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    i agree. we share a range with deer hunters. "hunters". sitting in a tree stand above a feeder isnt hunting, its a cowardly ambush. a 1000 yard shot is more difficult than 15 feet with a crossbow or compound bow. tree stand/feeder hunting isnt hunting. its waiting. i wish i had a picture of what these fools do...
    you could easily miss at 1000yds or 20...
    1000yds is an ambush too

1000yd shot takes skill...as does a 20yd shot...all be it different skills...
    at a 1000yds an animal doesnt care if you are there or not...20 its on alert to any move you make...thats all Im gonna say about it...I'll just say I'll agree to disagree and keep hunting.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    I'm on both sides with this one, 1100 yard cold bore = helluva shot. On an animal that you don't need to survive...I'm iffy. I don't know antelopes, but I'd think 200 yards of running is a little less than a clean, humane kill. Then again, maybe they're REALLY fast and hardy and a good lung shot is going to take a bit to catch up. I'm not a seasoned hunter, I've never killed anything except this cat that jumped in front of my big red Magnum (Darwinism at its finest) so maybe that's to be expected with a lung shot. My anatomy says the exit wound is a bit more gut than lung though.

In summary:
    Helluva shot
    On an animal...I'll politely disagree.

MDHunter

Ultimate Member
    Mar 12, 2007
    Free America
    I don't know antelopes, but I'd think 200 yards of running is a little less than a clean, humane kill. I'm not a seasoned hunter, I've never killed anything...

Very few lung shot animals drop right there and die, even if they're 25 yards away when you shoot them. The antelope was dead long before it hit the ground.

As for clean humane kills...those only occur on TV. If a hunter doesn't kill a game animal, here are the animal's most likely options for dying:

- predation: often the animal starts to get eaten before it's even dead, if caught by wolves, coyotes, mountain lion, or bear

- disease: 1-2 weeks, sometimes more, of suffering

- starvation in harsh winter: again, 1-2 weeks of suffering

Given those options for death - which one seems like the most humane method?

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    I'm on both sides with this one, 1100 yard cold bore = helluva shot. On an animal that you don't need to survive...I'm iffy. I don't know antelopes, but I'd think 200 yards of running is a little less than a clean, humane kill. Then again, maybe they're REALLY fast and hardy and a good lung shot is going to take a bit to catch up. I'm not a seasoned hunter, I've never killed anything except this cat that jumped in front of my big red Magnum (Darwinism at its finest) so maybe that's to be expected with a lung shot. My anatomy says the exit wound is a bit more gut than lung though.

In summary:
    Helluva shot
    On an animal...I'll politely disagree.

Most deer like animals will run with a lung shot if shoulders aren't broken so 200 yards is very realistic for a FAST animal that covers ground quickly.

You're not eating it so not to worry.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    That's a nice shot. A damn nice shot.

Everyone may have differing opinions on long-range hunting, and that's fine and good, but let me just say this - I've taken deer a hell of a lot closer than the OP's range, and even taking out the heart and lungs in one well-placed shot, the little bugger still covered 25 to 30 yards on adrenaline alone before it dropped.

xd40c

Business Owner-Gun Toter
    Sep 20, 2007
    East Earl, PA
    I love to hunt as much as the next guy. I'm usually out with the bow though. 1150 yard! Whew! Not sure I can even see 1150 yards. So while it's not a shot that I could take, (I possess neither the skill or talent that a shot like that requires) congrats to you for a clean kill.

buffalobob

Dec 10, 2009
    DC
    Here is an antelope my daughter shot a few years ago at about 350 yards and it ran about 125 yards or so. The exit hole is so big you could stick your fist through it. Same rifle and bullet!

Cyntia350yds2.jpg
    [/IMG]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom