• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    :D

Sorry for a noobie question, but after looking at numerous sites (including Yooper's), & searching here, I'm still as confused as before.

I have this Chinese one I got at the Westminster gun show years ago. Is it a type 56? What is the year? I've seen plenty of blade bayonets, but not too many of these spikes. How come? The 9696 is the arsenal, correct?

Attachments

• SKS_02.jpg
      SKS_02.jpg
      25.6 KB · Views: 455
    • SKS.jpg
      SKS.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 458

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    Yea that's the Arsenal number. That's a commercial production one. In mint condition with all matching parts it's maybe a 300-350 gun. The spikes are on the later ones. Nothing rare about that.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Yea that's the Arsenal number. That's a commercial production one. In mint condition with all matching parts it's maybe a 300-350 gun. The spikes are on the later ones. Nothing rare about that.
    i'd buy that for $300 all day long!
    nice rifle.:)

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012

Thanks! I figured it is commercial one. Do you know which arsenal that is?

nice looking gun....Choot it!

I do!

i'd buy that for $300 all day long!
    nice rifle.:)

Sorry, I'm keeping this one.

What about dating it? I get different opinions on different sites as to figuring it out.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Dating is the main reason the ATF used to never allow Chinese SKS rifles C&R status.
    Now the cats out of the bag with the Sino-Albanian beater ones they recently granted C&R status.
    As far as anyone knows now they are all C&R.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Dating is the main reason the ATF used to never allow Chinese SKS rifles C&R status.
    Now the cats out of the bag with the Sino-Albanian beater ones they recently granted C&R status.
    As far as anyone knows now they are all C&R.

Not so. BATFE knew the time window during which those rifle were shipped to Albania, and that happened over 50 years ago. The importers were apparently able to make a persuasive argument based upon when the Chinese started, and stopped, providing materiel support to the Hoxha regime.

If anyone makes the assumption that they are now all C&R, and they sell the wrong one as such, they might get a surprise.

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Yes, characters say it's a Type 56.

The recent batch of imports from Albania were earlier production guns, so that's why they have blade bayonets. Yours was imported before the first assault weapon ban in 1989 stopped the importation of evil rifles (bayonet is an evil feature). The vast majority of the Chinese ones imported before 1996 had spike bayonets. They were a bit later production than the blade bayonet ones.

Rem700fan

Ammo Disposal Expert
    Jul 11, 2012
    Eastern Panhandle, WV
    Google " Chinese sks survey". You can get an idea of when it was made by looking at dates of slight changes in manufacture listed on that site. This is assuming all factories made those changes during the same time period.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    Google " Chinese sks survey". You can get an idea of when it was made by looking at dates of slight changes in manufacture listed on that site. This is assuming all factories made those changes during the same time period.

There were three or four (including me) people trying to sort out the changes and dates that they happened. Most were doing this by comparing various rifles and markings -- which is as reasonable an approach as any. I tried looking at things such as Mao's movement to create a "Third Front" by building railroads into the interior of the country, and creating arsenals and other industries away from their traditional sites in the major coastal cities. I also looked at government and police powers, and who was using what, and when (and who was exporting what, and why).

The guys who compared parts and changes have come up with some fairly reasoned hypotheses about chronology and dating, but it can't be considered factual.

My conclusions from looking at political and manufacturing influences showed some factual broad trends, but nothing definitive to date specific rifles.

In short, we may claim that we know, but we really don't know that much for sure. We have a window of a few years (under 5, if I recall correctly) during which the Chinese provided the Albanians with arms and ammo, and it's clear that all of the rifles provided the Albanians were <26> (Jianshe arsenal) production.

We can only hope that sometime in the future Chinese manufacturing records will surface and we'll get access to production data on these rifles.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Not so. BATFE knew the time window during which those rifle were shipped to Albania, and that happened over 50 years ago. The importers were apparently able to make a persuasive argument based upon when the Chinese started, and stopped, providing materiel support to the Hoxha regime.

If anyone makes the assumption that they are now all C&R, and they sell the wrong one as such, they might get a surprise.

How do they tell the difference between those shipped to Albania and any other blade bayonet older Chinese SKS ?
    We had older blade bayonet SKS rifles (Sino-Soviet) here a hell of a long time before these were ever imported and they weren't C&R then.
    Does the ATF have a comprehensive list with all the serial #'s of those that are C&R and those that are NOT :lol2:
    How will you Know if you are buying one of "Those" or one from years ago ? :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom