• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Way to score, Todd S! Loading .357 is a perfect caliber to get the hang of reloading.

Were the dies carbide? Those you don't have to lube the case to use.

Bikebreath is right .. if the dies are carbide, as most newer pistol dies are, they do not need to be lubed.

RCBS carbide dies, come in a grey box. The older, and I believe obsolete, steel RCBS pistol dies come in a green box. There are still a few non carbide RCBS steel pistol dies floating around - but thats old stock.

The Rockchucker is a fine press. I still use an older Rockchucker II, and have no plans to change it.

Did you get a Rockchucker II or a Rockchucker III. The III has an interchangable handle mount holes on the block(can mount it for a lefty or rights on the same block) The II can only be mounted in the single hole for a righty - which I am.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    K31, I thought you are not supposed to lube the shoulder. How do you avoid lubing the shoulder with spray.

It's not a problem. The spray leaves very little behind and it gets dispersed evenly if you follow directions. Like I said, I've never dented a case with Dillon spray-on lube.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    I was taught that bottleneck cases required lube, and haven't heard anything to the contrary regardless of whether or not the sizing die is carbide. For pistol cases that require extra effort sizing (my "Glocked" .40 S&W that go through the Lee through-and-through resizer) I use a spray lube but even the lanolin/alcohol ones feel greasy unless I run the cases through a tumbler again.( I do this because I was taught that one of the initial actions in the firing cycle of an autopistol involves the expanding brass case momentarily grabbing the walls of the chamber, and the residual case lube might interfere with that action)
    For rifle cases, I use Imperial Sizing Wax which has worked very well with no dented shoulders. I can wipe this off with a rag after sizing.
    I believe that Ohaus makes most of the scales for the various companies-they are all good, but I trust my PACT electronic scale-every time I cross check it with my Dillon beam scale (also Ohaus), they agree to within 0.1 gr.
    DocAitch

Last edited:

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    Thanks for all of the great replies!

Now I need to decide on some components for my 223. I have already cleaned about 1000 cases with most being LC 11 brass. I'm going to deprime and resize in the next couple of days. I think I'm going to try Varget and TAC. My barrel is 1 in 7" twist, so I'm probably going with some heavier 69 or 77 gr bullets. For the time being, I'm going to only make batches of 20 rounds. Until I find what the rifle likes. Any suggestions on bullet manufacturers and weight? Maybe some suppliers also...

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    While Imperial sizing wax works well, it is even a slower method than the pad. You basically need to handle each individual case to ensure uniform coverage.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks for all of the great replies!

Now I need to decide on some components for my 223. I have already cleaned about 1000 cases with most being LC 11 brass. I'm going to deprime and resize in the next couple of days. I think I'm going to try Varget and TAC. My barrel is 1 in 7" twist, so I'm probably going with some heavier 69 or 77 gr bullets. For the time being, I'm going to only make batches of 20 rounds. Until I find what the rifle likes. Any suggestions on bullet manufacturers and weight? Maybe some suppliers also...

I get good results with noslers. A lil cheaper than sierras.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Even with carbide rifle dies, you should still lube the cases. You haven't had the pleasure of getting a case stuck yet. When you do, you'll kick yourself in the scrote for not lubing properly.

38/357 is a nice caliber to start out with. The carbide dies rule in pistol calibers.

I've lubed tens of thousands of bottleneck cases with the RCBS pad and still using the original bottle of lube! It goes a loooong way. (Even after reaming the nozzle out with a drill bit for faster flow.) 5 drops on half of the pad distributed evenly will do hundreds of cases in a sitting.

I've just recently started with the Dillon lube for bulk cases. I am most of the way through the bottle after only a couple thousand cases (I think I'm over lubing a bit).

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    carbide rifle dies

Aren't there carbide dies for rifle cases? I thought I'd heard that somewhere.
    Dillon sells carbide dies for the .223 and the .308 but they advise that lube still has to be used. The dies are advertised not to scratch and wear in high volume reloading situations'.
    DocAitch

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Try PAM for case lube, easy peasy. Put cases in a gallon ziploc, give 2 sprays of 2-3 seconds, zip closed and tumble about a bit. Let it sit while to eat dinner then setup your press and size away. When done wash PAM off with soap & water, also wash and lightly oil die. The PAM will not cause oil dents on the shoulder. Been using it for a year and have sized close to 10,000 cases from .223 to .30-06.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    For a scale if you want beam the RCBS 505, if you want electronic Sartorious makes one for about $300 that is dependable.

Bullets- Sierra 77 MK's (priciest usually), Nosler 77's or Hornady 75 BTHP's. Those three will load to mag length. Hornady 75 A-Max will not seat to mag length. Also worth shooting out to 300 yards on calm days are the 60gr flat based Sierras; also 52 or 52 BTHP or 52 A-Max by sierra or Hornady (much cheaper than the 75's or 77's).

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    So far I have 77 and 69 Sierra MK's. I picked up 500 Vmax 55 gr. I have 1000 hornady 55 gr spire points coming next week(lighter stuff will be plinking ammo). I'll look and see what is available at Chantilly later next week. Hopefully some 8lb powder(that I can split with my father-in-law) and more primers. I'm going to load some v-maxs with H335 and try them tomorrow at Hap Baker. I started out light and will work up from there. I think I'm going to load some 77gr MK's with Varget tonight also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom