• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I'm going to get into metallic reloading for my AR-15 in .223/5.56. I've decided on a Rockchucker press kit. It comes with the 5-0-5 scale, powder thrower, lube pad, loading block, speer reloading manual, powder funnel and chamfering/deburring tool. I am going to order a case tumbler(probably the cabelas tumbler and media seporator). I already have digital calipers. I am going to hold off on getting the case trimmer for now and will get the RCBS primer pocket swager. I've read through past posts about die sets and think the x-dies might be what I need. I'm probably going to check the Timonium show to pick up some powder and primers. My rifle is 1 in 7" twist. I'm probably going to stick with 55gr bullets for now. Is there anything else I'm missing for getting setup?

Thanks in advance,
    Todd

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    See my past post about the RCBS lube pad and driving a rusty nail through my scrotum rather than using that ever again. Get a bottle of Dillion or the like, spray-on case lube (lanolin and alcohol) and throw the pad in the thrash. I would not hold off on a case trimmer.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    Ok. I'll get a spray bottle of lube. I'll look into case trimmers also... Right now all I have is a couple hundred once fired LC brass. Hopefully after resizing, I won't need to trim right away.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Ok. I'll get a spray bottle of lube. I'll look into case trimmers also... Right now all I have is a couple hundred once fired LC brass. Hopefully after resizing, I won't need to trim right away.

if it doesnt exceed the max lenght.. 1.750" is the trim lenght.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Do yourself a favor, Save and buy Dillon's swedger and there large Vib tumbler. Its all built to last. Dillon's tumblers are overbuilt and will last forever and best of all super quiet.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I would buy these two items for case trimming. I do this for my other rifle cases. The red circle in the case trimmer is the part I put in my electric drill. The other photo is of a .223 case length gauge.

Attachments

• images-1.jpg
      images-1.jpg
      4.5 KB · Views: 204
    • images.jpg
      images.jpg
      4.4 KB · Views: 201

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    The case lube pad that comes with the Rockchucker kits works fine, Some people rather stab themselves in the scrotum - thats fine & dandy, but I can honestly say, I NEVER have had any case stuck in the die. Ive resized more 223/5.56 cases then I can count, and have yet to have one get stuck in the die - period. A little bit of that lube goes a long way. You do not HAVE to buy the messy spray to lube your cases.

Not sure if your kit comes with neck brushes, I would consider getting one, that works with the RCBS accesory handle. They are inexpensive. Use the neck brush with just a touch of the case lube that will come with your kit, to lube the mouths. This will keep from overworking the cases, and makes the mouth expansion/resizing smoother. You may also want to invest in a flash hole deburring tool, and a 22 cal pilot. It will screw on to the same handle you use to lube case mouths. Deburring the flash holes, will help make your cases more consistent in primer flow pattern. Again - inexpensive tool, that will work fine.

Since you loading 223/5.56 Nato - you will need to deal with primer crimps. The RCBS swaging die works perfect, and wont break the bank like the Dillions do. You will get a lifetime warranty on it, and it fits the Rockchucker perfect. Not to mention it wont eat up more benchspace like the bulky Dillion swager. You can also cut the primer crimp by hand, which can get tedious if you have a huge amount of brass to process.

55 grain bullets maybe on the light side for a 1-7 twist for .223. Look at some good load data (your Rockchucker kit will come with Speers manual - Good book!) to help you determine what bullet weight should work for you.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Never dented a case with Dillion spray lube, can't say the same for the pad. Also, I spray all my cases, at once, shake, spray again and I'm done. Rather than, roll out a precise amount, roll a few cases in it, make sure the pad is still properly lubed, roll a few more, repeat ad nauseaum.

Spray lube is messy? It never touches your fingers until you pick up a case to size it and by then most of the alcohol is gone. I clean up by running the cookie sheet I use under the sink for a few minutes. I never counted how many cases I've lubed with a single bottle but it is probably in the thousands.

Also, I have actually used both.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    K31, I thought you are not supposed to lube the shoulder. How do you avoid lubing the shoulder with spray.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    Well, as it turns out I am now the new owner of a used Rockchucker. I went to the Timonium show and found the press, a powder measurer and the guy threw in .357 dies(that's one of the loads I will be building). Saved a couple hundred $$. Always nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom