• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    mossberg mvp for 360 ( as stated in the OP) is a great deal. I believe that rifle only comes in 5.56 though, no need to order a different caliber. Is that the rifle they were offering?

12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    Thats no Mossberg MVP in that pic

I did some research on Gunbroker and it seems that the ad shows a Mossberg ATR ---Not an MVP which takes detachable AR15 mags. This means that the clerk at Dicks gave wrong info When he said he could order it for me in .223 --it isnot made in that caliber.

Everyone who said "deal with IP's not the big box stores" is right. The aggravation of dealing with people who do not know their business is not worth the small cost savings. I had high hopes for buying at Dicks because it is only a few miles away and easy to get to...

LESSONS LEARNED..................

4MDGunRights

Gun Totin' Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Morris Co, New Jersistan
    There are deals to be found at Dick's, but their firearms knowledge and customer service has a lot of room for improvement. I wouldn't stop shopping there, just accept Dick's for what they are: a big box store with poor sales staff and customer support. If you can find a deal there anyway, jump on it. My last deal was the Marlin 795 which came in at less than $100 out the door from Dick's after rebate; try finding a deal like that at your LGS. I am all about supporting my LGS, but I also am frugal and don't like tossing away my hard earned paycheck at a LGS if they can't be competitive in price.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

My desk (taken 1 minute ago):

22F26D85-A2A7-4060-B5CE-277139293739-1329-00000299E9A5A009.jpg

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    Dick's sale circular this weekend featured a sweet deal on a scoped "Ruger"
    walnut stock centerfire bolt action rifle. Identified as "trophy hunter" it is priced at an unbelievable $299.

So this morning,I drive on down to Dick's in Crofton/Gambrills to score one as a Christmas present --to me. Show clerk the circular --get a blank look and he says "we don't have in stock--can order and have in 3 days". I mention that I have never seen a Ruger that looked like photo. He looks in catalog, then does a second look at circular and says " That's a Savage Axis--comes with a Nikon scope ". I say "OK, I'll take one of those, order me one in .223".

Clerk goes in back to place order, gone for 20 minutes. Comes back out with dumb look on face and says the gun in ad is a Mossberg MVP with a Barska scope. Six of them in display case with nce walnut stocks but none in .233.
    Again, he says he can order a .223 --I say OK and he disappears in back for another 20 minutes. Comes back saying he can order but not available with
    walnut stock--will cost me $60 more to get a cheap black plastic stock.

So here we are: 1. Not a Ruger 2. Not a Savage 3. Not a Nikon Scope

4. Not a wood stock 5. $60 more than advertised

At this point my wife who stuck with me during an hour of BS is gritting her teeth and wanting to shop at Wegmans so we walk out.

This is my first and last visit to Dick's. They may be ok for buying jock straps and sweater vests but they don't know jack squat about guns.

Apparently the wrong logo was placed in the ad. Disclaimers will be in the small print so you'll have to look hard to find it in some obscure location possibly located on another page of the ad; and yes, it is legal.

From the title, I thought maybe my wife started this thread. :o

This is a screen cap of the ad, its still listed on their site
    dicks_ruger.jpg

If it were me, id have walked out of there with a $299 scoped ruger. There are laws against bait and switch, and a $299 scoped ruger turning into a Mossberg with a barska is not a mere typo.

See my above post. I don't think this is bait & switch though I can't see and read the fine print in that gun description.

My desk (taken 1 minute ago):

22F26D85-A2A7-4060-B5CE-277139293739-1329-00000299E9A5A009.jpg

Yeah, like I posted this morning, knew it had something else more to the title; Dick's Sucks, Beating Dick's, etc................Definatey a thread worth jacking:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    I stopped going to Dick's over a year ago because of ZERO customer service & high prices.

I always buy my firearms from my local dealer who knows what end the projectiles leave the barrels.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    I did some research on Gunbroker and it seems that the ad shows a Mossberg ATR ---Not an MVP which takes detachable AR15 mags. This means that the clerk at Dicks gave wrong info When he said he could order it for me in .223 --it isnot made in that caliber.

Everyone who said "deal with IP's not the big box stores" is right. The aggravation of dealing with people who do not know their business is not worth the small cost savings. I had high hopes for buying at Dicks because it is only a few miles away and easy to get to...

LESSONS LEARNED..................

For the most part yes but you don't always get great advise at dealers either.
    For example: I was in Anglers today to pick up a couple things and a lady came in asking about buying a gun for HD. For the most part the clerk gave good info until he started talking about what the shotgun would do.
    He swayed her to a 500 HD style which is fine. He told her the difference between semi auto and a pump. When describing the pump he told her she would have to push the bolt release after eack shot to pump the gun. :sad20:
    Then he said because it's a shot gun it would be shooting hundreds of pellets and you don't have to aim or be accurate, just point and shoot. He said the hundreds of pellets spread way out so you don't need to be to accurate. :sad20: The clerk must live in a house with 15 yard long rooms or hallways and use bird shot for his HD ammo.
    I wanted to interject but resisted, just minded my own business and moved on. I kind of hung around the whole time to hear what he said, thats why I can tell you this story.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Hey Doc, I heard that stuff does wonders for a marriage even if you don't have ED, is it true?

Not so much. If you can get wood on your own, you are GTG. Save the money and buy her flowers.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I have had good luck at the Dicks in Waldorf, one guy there, don't know his name, knows a great deal about his firearms.
    I haven't dealt with anyone else at that store, nor any other Dicks...

You're probably referring to "Eddie".
    Young guy knows quite a bit about firearms, or at least he reads (and retains) a lot about 'em.

Most of the employees at the Waldorf Dick's are known as "Air exchangers".
    They suck in oxygen. Spew out carbon dioxide. Period.

TLL

God Bless America
    Jan 6, 2011
    Virginia
    The problem I find with them is the sale prices do not ring up at the register very often. Stopped going years ago. Tried them again last month....same deal.

Sent from here

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    There are deals to be found at Dick's, but their firearms knowledge and customer service has a lot of room for improvement. I wouldn't stop shopping there, just accept Dick's for what they are: a big box store with poor sales staff and customer support. If you can find a deal there anyway, jump on it. My last deal was the Marlin 795 which came in at less than $100 out the door from Dick's after rebate; try finding a deal like that at your LGS. I am all about supporting my LGS, but I also am frugal and don't like tossing away my hard earned paycheck at a LGS if they can't be competitive in price.

OR you could live in Columbia, go to the Dobbin Center Dicks, and find that all the guns, ammo and related supplies are not sold there any more. Stick with your local dealers. Period. :party29:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I've come away from the counter at a lot of places kind of shaking my head about the level of knowledge from the people behind the counter. It's worse in places like Dick's, but I've experienced it at smaller shops too.

There seems to be this attitude that 1.) because they work in a gun shop and 2.) because I don't look the part, (I guess I'm not redneck enough?) that automatically they are experts who know more than me, and I know next to nothing.

I'm the first to admit that I don't know everything and that there is a lot that I don't know, but I've been around a lot guns my whole life, spent time in the shop reloading, casting bullets, doing lots of shooting, and I spent a lot of time reading publications that wound up on the reading table next to my Dad's chair, so I'm not exactly fumbling around for information either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom