• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 12a10

Apr 6, 2009
    AA County Crownsville
    Dick's sale circular this weekend featured a sweet deal on a scoped "Ruger"
    walnut stock centerfire bolt action rifle. Identified as "trophy hunter" it is priced at an unbelievable $299.

So this morning,I drive on down to Dick's in Crofton/Gambrills to score one as a Christmas present --to me. Show clerk the circular --get a blank look and he says "we don't have in stock--can order and have in 3 days". I mention that I have never seen a Ruger that looked like photo. He looks in catalog, then does a second look at circular and says " That's a Savage Axis--comes with a Nikon scope ". I say "OK, I'll take one of those, order me one in .223".

Clerk goes in back to place order, gone for 20 minutes. Comes back out with dumb look on face and says the gun in ad is a Mossberg MVP with a Barska scope. Six of them in display case with nce walnut stocks but none in .233.
    Again, he says he can order a .223 --I say OK and he disappears in back for another 20 minutes. Comes back saying he can order but not available with
    walnut stock--will cost me $60 more to get a cheap black plastic stock.

So here we are: 1. Not a Ruger 2. Not a Savage 3. Not a Nikon Scope

4. Not a wood stock 5. $60 more than advertised

At this point my wife who stuck with me during an hour of BS is gritting her teeth and wanting to shop at Wegmans so we walk out.

This is my first and last visit to Dick's. They may be ok for buying jock straps and sweater vests but they don't know jack squat about guns.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Another reason to support our IP's.

Pick up the phone, or send them a PM, and see what they can do for you.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    walnut stock centerfire bolt action rifle. Identified as "trophy hunter" it is priced at an unbelievable $299.

So this morning,I drive on down to Dick's in Crofton/Gambrills to score one as a Christmas present --to me. Show clerk the circular --get a blank look and he says "we don't have in stock--can order and have in 3 days". I mention that I have never seen a Ruger that looked like photo. He looks in catalog, then does a second look at circular and says " That's a Savage Axis--comes with a Nikon scope ". I say "OK, I'll take one of those, order me one in .223".

Clerk goes in back to place order, gone for 20 minutes. Comes back out with dumb look on face and says the gun in ad is a Mossberg MVP with a Barska scope. Six of them in display case with nce walnut stocks but none in .233.
    Again, he says he can order a .223 --I say OK and he disappears in back for another 20 minutes. Comes back saying he can order but not available with

At this point my wife who stuck with me during an hour of BS is gritting her teeth and wanting to shop at Wegmans so we walk out.

This is my first and last visit to Dick's. They may be ok for buying jock straps and sweater vests but they don't know jack squat about guns.

I believe you we're the gentleman I was speaking with. I was the guy waiting to look at that Marlin lever action, but the clerk never came back out:sad20: Sorry to hear your deal didn't work out.

DrunkUncles

Mar 18, 2011
    Edgewater MD
    Another reason to support our IP's.

Pick up the phone, or send them a PM, and see what they can do for you.

I totally agree!!! I can personally vouch for 2A Sales and Engage Armament. Just about everything I own has been purchased from those 2 places and I've never been disappointed.

To HELL with the boxes, go see the small businesses... They will take care of you.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    This is a screen cap of the ad, its still listed on their site
    dicks_ruger.jpg

If it were me, id have walked out of there with a $299 scoped ruger. There are laws against bait and switch, and a $299 scoped ruger turning into a Mossberg with a barska is not a mere typo.

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan

Not sure what you're disappointed about, the ad doesn't specify a Nikon scope, the Nikon is advertised in the package below the rifle you were looking at. I can see how the logos is misleading, maybe bring it to the attention of the company via email and they'll likely send you a G.C.? I've had good experiences buying from that Dick's and much better service than their other locations. The reality is that our IP's can't beat the big box prices, maybe if one of them wanted they could price match advertised specials?

JCB003

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2007
    Definitely Mossberg...Lightning Bolt Action Adjustable Trigger System = Mossberg. Not that most people would know that esp. with the ad type as Ruger.

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    This is a screen cap of the ad, its still listed on their site
    dicks_ruger.jpg

If it were me, id have walked out of there with a $299 scoped ruger. There are laws against bait and switch, and a $299 scoped ruger turning into a Mossberg with a barska is not a mere typo.

Thats no Mossberg MVP in that pic

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    My dealings with the gun guys at the Crofton Dicks have been horrible. They are complete idiots.

RRDiesel87

Mar 26, 2010
    Hanover, PA
    Ill admit, Dicks can really be hit or miss when it comes to firearms knowledge, it depends on the area. I work at westminster and everybody in the lodge pretty much knows their stuff, we hear horror stories from customers all the time about some of the other stores

SMPress

Apr 24, 2009
    Charles County
    I have had good luck at the Dicks in Waldorf, one guy there, don't know his name, knows a great deal about his firearms. I haven't dealt with anyone else at that store, nor any other Dicks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom