Anne Arundel First Alert - Accidental Shooting at 2600 Block of Annapolis Road (Cindy's?)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I hope they don't have that policy. If I'm shooting at an indoor range, it's almost always by myself.
    AIUI, places with that policy will rent a gun to a lone shooter if they BYO gun from home, because that communicates to the store that you don't need a rental to off yourself.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I hope they don't have that policy. If I'm shooting at an indoor range, it's almost always by myself.

The policy only excluded non-members who wanted to rent a firearm to shoot. If you had your own firearms you could shoot alone all you want.

Personally, as a business owner, I would have a similar policy if someone decided to off themselves in my establishment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    Some of the comments in this thread imply that people sometimes go to gun ranges for the express purpose of committing suicide. I've never heard of this. Do I understand correctly?

I always thought that most gun suicides were done somewhere privately where the individual wouldn't be stopped.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    AIUI, places with that policy will rent a gun to a lone shooter if they BYO gun from home, because that communicates to the store that you don't need a rental to off yourself.

Fair enough. I haven't needed to rent a handgun.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Some of the comments in this thread imply that people sometimes go to gun ranges for the express purpose of committing suicide. I've never heard of this. Do I understand correctly?

I always thought that most gun suicides were done somewhere privately where the individual wouldn't be stopped.
    It's way too common. Continental has had a couple, and Bel Air Gun Range had one a few months ago. Doesn't make the news but word does get around.

Allium

Senior Keyboard Operator
    Feb 10, 2007

If you think about it, the whole guns are bad because of suicide, it is the most effective final measure. A lot of others such as pills, hanging, jumping leave too much to error. What do you do if you don't have a gun? Buy one - theres a wait. Steal one? Or rent? I think if someone is that determined, they will find away. I think if they already have access of course they will do it elsewhere but lacking one.. Unfortunately there's no way a person can read a persons mind to say - nope, wont rent to you. A pamphlet will deter them as much as McGruff the crime dog prevented crime and Nancy Reagan's just say no stopped drugs.

I think not renting to a walkin with no brought from home is a step. But there are first time shooters that will miss out on trying guns. I dont think my first time at a commercial range was with someone. I've rented a few just to try them out and see if I like them, especially before buying.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    It's way too common. Continental has had a couple, and Bel Air Gun Range had one a few months ago. Doesn't make the news but word does get around.
    I know of a sporting clays course where a young man sat down on a bench and ate his shotgun.
    Incredibly sad.

RFBfromDE

W&C MD, UT, PA
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 21, 2022
    The Land of Pleasant Living
    And that you are not a prohibited person.

1. Yes.

2. They are.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    How does a gun range know if you are a prohibited person, besides you telling them you aren't?

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    The ranges that have a “lone renter” policy, it, usually, only applies to first-time customers. If you are already in their system, it, usually, doesn’t apply.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    I received the R. Bud Dwyer packet he sent out before shooting himself under the chin with a .357 magnum on live TV back in the 80's. OMG the river of blood that streamed from his nose the the exit wound was something. This is terrible for all involved.

I received the R. Bud Dwyer packet he sent out before shooting himself under the chin with a .357 magnum on live TV back in the 80's. OMG the river of blood that streamed from his nose the the exit wound was something. This is terrible for all involved.
    It was a snow day, and being a 15yo Harrisburg native, I watched it happen on live TV. It took a few seconds for me to comprehend what just happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom