• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • imaoldcowhand

Aug 3, 2018
    In the process of downsizing, and moving, I’m in a quandary of how to store my ammo to keep it dry.

Is airlock bags the way to go?
    ie: Food Saver vacuum bags.

Edit:
    I’m looking for long term storage.

Thanks for any recommendations.

Last edited:

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    So I found Plano containers on sale at home Depot. They did not seal but did have latches that cinch. I added weather stripping to the lid to make it seal. Was cheap and efficient. But loading one of those up is heavy.

namrelio

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2013
    Frederick Co. Virginia
    I finally got around to packing and labeling mine from moving. Like said above plastic ammo cans from HD. They also have the steel ones. Make sure you use the coupons. Walmart has the steel ones also. All are nice cans.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Ammo cans are my go to too. While they come in many sizes, the big ones require sherpas to help move them. .30 and .50caliber cans are moveable by mortals over the age of fifty. They’re not cheap. Other than that, I’d agree that the half footlocker size RubberMaid type bins are great for storage with desiccant or goldenrod type dehumidifier. They are not moveable for most folks once filled. I’ve also found luck with anvil cases with wheels on the bottom to move ammo. Moving dollies under footlockers work ok too. I’ve known folks who use the vacuum seal bags with loose and boxed ammo with some sort of silica/desiccant in each bag. It will work too.

Best of luck.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I prefer to store mine in cars.

Not sure how they do it in other parts of the state but in Central Maryland we do it differently ;)

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    put the ammo you bought on a shelf inside your house. It should stay dry there as long as your house doesn't fill up with water. Being on a shelf gives you time to do something if it does start to fill with water. Do not store in shower, bathtub sink or toilet, just avoid bathrooms and laundry rooms. Most ammo you have to pay for comes in a container. That container made it from the manufacturer to your home in one piece. I fill up ammo cans with loose ammo that I reload because the bullets and brass came in a big bag in a big box.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Ammo cans are the best IMHO.
    You can them cheap at shows and eBay. The walmart ones are Chinese and a bit smaller the standard 50 cal cans.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    Ammo cans are the best IMHO.
    You can them cheap at shows and eBay. The walmart ones are Chinese and a bit smaller the standard 50 cal cans.

I chose 50Cal cans for 223 and 30Cal cans for pistol rounds. I started with 50Cal cans for everything and switched the pistol rounds to 30Cal cans due to the weight.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    They're also great for storing all those Lego's you've spent hundreds ( and hundreds ) of dollars on over the years before you realized your kid just wanted the characters out of them.

LOL! We had a 30 gallon plastic tub full of Legos from when our kids were little. I'm not even sure what happened to them. I probably could get 2 or 3 of those new Pythons for what we spent on Legos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom