• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I was at my local Walmart yesterday and stopped by the ammo section. I had not been there in several months and wanted to see their stock and prices. I was kind of surprised at what I saw. I have been buying the Federal AutoMatch 22LR box in 325 rounds there for a long time. When Covid hit they kept it in stock most of the time at $16 and change. Then they didn't have any for a bit. When it come back in stock it was up to $19 and change. A few months back I had noticed it went to $21.xx. Yesterday it was $25.xx. My most recent ammo purchases have seen the general prices of most ammo going DOWN. Why is the 22lr ammo at Walmart going UP???? Is this the current trend with 22lr ammo in general now?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I was at my local Walmart yesterday and stopped by the ammo section. I had not been there in several months and wanted to see their stock and prices. I was kind of surprised at what I saw. I have been buying the Federal AutoMatch 22LR box in 325 rounds there for a long time. When Covid hit they kept it in stock most of the time at $16 and change. Then they didn't have any for a bit. When it come back in stock it was up to $19 and change. A few months back I had noticed it went to $21.xx. Yesterday it was $25.xx. My most recent ammo purchases have seen the general prices of most ammo going DOWN. Why is the 22lr ammo at Walmart going UP???? Is this the current trend with 22lr ammo in general now?
    $30.99 direct from Federal. Midway USA list price is same, $30.99, their regular price is $24.99, but now on sale for $19.99. I’d say your WalMart is reasonably priced, you may want to grab it while you still can.

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I had been buy the boxes every chance I got. Which was a lot. I am well stocked right now. I would almost say I have to much but I don't think there is such a thing. hehe

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    I will be shooting more 22 once I can decide on which 22 pistol to buy. I like the Ruger Mark iv 22/45 lite, the tx22, the FN502, and the sig322.

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I will be shooting more 22 once I can decide on which 22 pistol to buy. I like the Ruger Mark iv 22/45 lite, the tx22, the FN502, and the sig322.
    I can vouch for the TX22 being an awesome handgun. I probably shoot it the most because it’s cheaper to feed.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Pre-Covid, a 100rd bulk pack of Federal 12G game shells cost about $21. A couple months ago it was $32, and the other day it was about $35 in the Mt Airy Walmart.

blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county
    Yup sounds about right, they're getting us every way they can. Yup Tx 22 is a good pistol I got the competition model, I like my 22/45 to but it's a mark III.

Chieflywaze

Mar 13, 2023
    Liked the TX22 so much, that I also bought the compact. No issues but I'm using CCI mini mag. The take down and cleaning is a breeze too. OBTW, I've read that because its striker fired, no worries dry firing!

Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    Liked the TX22 so much, that I also bought the compact. No issues but I'm using CCI mini mag. The take down and cleaning is a breeze too. OBTW, I've read that because its striker fired, no worries dry firing!
    Now that you have both which one is your favorite??? And why?

Chieflywaze

Mar 13, 2023
    I really don't have a favorite, both pistols are similar but for different uses. To use a tool analogy, the full size is like a 6" Phillips screwdriver the compact is like a stubby Phillips.
    But some folks may be partial to one over the other based on their liking.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Pre-Covid, a 100rd bulk pack of Federal 12G game shells cost about $21. A couple months ago it was $32, and the other day it was about $35 in the Mt Airy Walmart.
    At least they carry the 100 rnd bulk packs. I haven't seen them in my local Walmarts for months even though the managers at the stores I frequent say they get some occasionally. Almost everywhere has 12 ga trap and field type loads north of $10/25

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yes, we have hit bottom on ammo prices, possibly firearms availabilty as well. People all across the country are afraid of anarchy and taking their own safety personally.

We may be a little blind to the nationwide trend due to our recent changes and being on the very front end of the anarchy in advance of the rest of the nation. People are taking Brandon's statements about banning AR's and all semiauto firearms seriously.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Why would anyone get anything other than a Ruger MK series .22 pistol? The aftermarket parts and accesories are limitless.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Why would anyone get anything other than a Ruger MK series .22 pistol? The aftermarket parts and accesories are limitless.
    If they're so good, why are there so many aftermarket parts? Why is it necessary to change a bunch of parts if the gun is good to start with?

I'm only half joking about this. I know the Ruger MK pistols are great pistols. It does make me wonder though why so many people are hell bent on changing out a lot of the factory parts. Same with the 10/22. I'm somewhat guilty of that myself.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I quit going to Walmart when they stopped selling handgun ammo and .223

My view as well.

I expect Walmart to be out of the business entirely one day. The more rural roots of their business model probably means that happens somewhat later, rather than sooner. But who truly knows how much later? I'm convinced it's coming.

In the meantime, I think it likely that perhaps Walmart has decided (or will quietly decide) that it doesn't want to be a lowest price ammo leader.

For these reasons, I try my best to support those who support my values. That isn't Walmart, other than reluctantly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom