• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Your post got me thinking: This thread really doesn't belong in Central MD.
    In addition, it is very easy to get into ham without spending a fortune. I let costs keep me out for way too long. My first radio was one of those cheap HTs. My second was a Yaesu 2M mobile that I still have in a drawer somewhere that I picked up for $100 used. You can get affordable used gear very easily. Don't let the prices of brand new retail stuff scare you out of a great hobby. There are also hams that will let you borrow stuff and coach you - especially when it comes to public service events. I would spend a whole day working with a new ham at a public service event.

Several things really interest me after having my ticket for a little over a month;

Skywarn: I'm going to take a class when they get going again this fall.
    NVIS Comms: Simply from the standpoint of being able to communicate in a radios w/o repeaters.
    WAS (Work All States): Trying to get a contact in each state

Then there are the things I didn't think I'd even want to learn, but have decided I do want to learn and explore from an e-comms / disaster / mobility scenario:

Packet & Data
    QRP transmitting
    CW transmitting

You are 100% right about the cost of new equipment vs. used and (like firearms) keeping one from participating and exploring in the hobby.

That said I've got some ideas, but there are other priorities for me at the moment (factoring in that I'm on a spending ban currently).

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Check out the Ham Radio forum on arfcom. We regularly do all of those things you listed, and more.

I think we're about to have one of our emergency drills soon. (mostly on HF, but sometimes we do HF+VHF)

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Check out the Ham Radio forum on arfcom. We regularly do all of those things you listed, and more.

I think we're about to have one of our emergency drills soon. (mostly on HF, but sometimes we do HF+VHF)

I've read over there a bit; it's a bit overwhelming.

I was gonna say, we could almost stand a HAM radio forum here...but; w/ arfcom having a good one, I doubt it needs the redundancy.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    WAS (Work All States): Trying to get a contact in each state

If you have HF, don't stop at WAS.

There is also WAC (Worked All Continents, Antarctica not required).

WPX (Worked Prefixes), need to document, IIRC, 600 different call sign prefixes.

DXCC, worked 100 "countries." Check the rules, Alaska and Hawaii are "countries," Used to be separated by at least 75 miles of water (Hawaii) or have to transit another country to get to it by land (Alaska).

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I bought a radio while home in Iowa on vacation, and took it back to Korea with me. I was sweating bullets sneaking past Korean customs, I tell you, as also had a haul of Coach brand purses and shoes I'd gotten dirt cheap at an outlet store (for wife).

I bought a used Yaesu FT-950 off of QRZ, and now have it running in Seoul. I spend so much time mucking around getting my antenna up on the roof of this 6-story building. In the the end, I built a delta loop with ladder line, up about 4 meters from the cement flat-top roof, hanging off of PVC pipes I mounted to laundry posts and such, using hose clamps. Ends up being between a 20m and 30m loop, but I have a balanced tuner, so I tune up to everything from 40m up. I'm getting TONS of signals from everywhere around Asia, and as far as Kabul so far. Very little from the USA, but I haven't hit the right time of day yet to get them. I can only listen for another month, though, as I'm waiting for my Korean license approval. Luckily, I get a lot more bandwidth with it, compared to my lowly USA Tech license. I can talk on 10, 15, 17, and 40 on down here.

The pileups are just nuts. I am not a fan of them, as it all seems like a glob of signals. I have been trying to tune to just a few specific signals within them, but they last too short before the next person, and then it's another pileup again. Tons of people from Japan, China, and the Philippines on top of each other. Hope I can find some more English-speakers on here, and just talk to them one day.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    If you have HF, don't stop at WAS.

There is also WAC (Worked All Continents, Antarctica not required).

WPX (Worked Prefixes), need to document, IIRC, 600 different call sign prefixes.

DXCC, worked 100 "countries." Check the rules, Alaska and Hawaii are "countries," Used to be separated by at least 75 miles of water (Hawaii) or have to transit another country to get to it by land (Alaska).

Yeah, I've just started to learn what they are as well.

JRMills

Feb 20, 2012
    USA
    Hello. I had a question and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I figured you guys would be able to point me in the right direction.

I am a volunteer firefighter in Western Md. I was looking for a radio that I could use to listen to the fire dispatch. I know that Washington County uses a p25 trunked system. I believe they still transmit on a non trunked system.

The sole purpose of the radio is to listen. I remember looking in this thread yesterday and seeing talk about the Baofeng uv5r. But I cannot find it now on my phone. Is there anyone that can confirm that I will be able to use this for my intentions?

I normally use a scanner app on my phone when I am not at the station but it's delayed about 45 sec and so is my text alert.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Hello. I had a question and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I figured you guys would be able to point me in the right direction.

I am a volunteer firefighter in Western Md. I was looking for a radio that I could use to listen to the fire dispatch. I know that Washington County uses a p25 trunked system. I believe they still transmit on a non trunked system.

The sole purpose of the radio is to listen. I remember looking in this thread yesterday and seeing talk about the Baofeng uv5r. But I cannot find it now on my phone. Is there anyone that can confirm that I will be able to use this for my intentions?

I normally use a scanner app on my phone when I am not at the station but it's delayed about 45 sec and so is my text alert.

Your best bet is to see if they'll give you a pager or a radio.

Otherwise, you're looking at a $300 scanner. Any digital trunking P25 Phase II scanner will get what you need, but they're not cheap.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    I know that Washington County uses a p25 trunked system. I believe they still transmit on a non trunked system.

If they are transmitting using P25, trunked or not, the Baofeng will not be able to decode it. P25 is a digital system, and the Baofeng radio can only do analog FM.

That said, it may be worth finding someone with an FM receiver in the area (doesn't have to be Baofeng, analog FM is analog FM) to test reception to check if the frequency you're trying to listen to is actually digital or analog.

JRMills

Feb 20, 2012
    USA
    If they are transmitting using P25, trunked or not, the Baofeng will not be able to decode it. P25 is a digital system, and the Baofeng radio can only do analog FM.

That said, it may be worth finding someone with an FM receiver in the area (doesn't have to be Baofeng, analog FM is analog FM) to test reception to check if the frequency you're trying to listen to is actually digital or analog.

I understand about the p25 trunked system being encoded but like I also stated I am pretty sure it is transmitted on a non trunked system. According to radioreference.com it is transmitted on a repeater.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?inputs=1&ctid=1209#cats

I am believe it is not encoded. I really don't want to have their radio in my pov and risk it getting stolen. Hopefully someone in the area sees this post and can check for me.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    According to radioreference.com it is transmitted on a repeater.

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?inputs=1&ctid=1209#cats

Which of the listings are you trying to receive? It sounds like there are 3 possibilities for Fire dispatch:

1. "Most fire operations have moved to Washington County's P25 trunked system." -- Can't receive on the Baofeng
    2. "Some emergency vehicles are equipped to operate on the Local Government Talkaround repeater (453.150 w/ 77.0 PL) for extended coverage." -- Can be received by the Baofeng, but the descriptions makes this sound like a backup system not in regular use.
    3. "Fire & EMS Dispatch (Simulcast)" on 33.86000 MHz -- Outside the frequency range of the Baofeng UV-5R (136-174 MHz, 400-480 MHz), but could be received by a more robust Ham radio or other scanner.

Did I miss something?

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    You should be able to use an app. My brother in law does this; I'll ask him what app he listens to. Basically any call they get hit with at his VFD will alert in text on his phone.

JRMills

Feb 20, 2012
    USA
    Which of the listings are you trying to receive? It sounds like there are 3 possibilities for Fire dispatch:

1. "Most fire operations have moved to Washington County's P25 trunked system." -- Can't receive on the Baofeng

2. "Some emergency vehicles are equipped to operate on the Local Government Talkaround repeater (453.150 w/ 77.0 PL) for extended coverage." -- Can be received by the Baofeng, but the descriptions makes this sound like a backup system not in regular use.

3. "Fire & EMS Dispatch (Simulcast)" on 33.86000 MHz -- Outside the frequency range of the Baofeng UV-5R (136-174 MHz, 400-480 MHz), but could be received by a more robust Ham radio or other scanner.

Did I miss something?

I want to say the #2 is broadcasted all the time. I can recall my dad using an old scanner about a year ago and was able to still able to hear all dispatches. But he no longer has it to test if that's still the case. I decided to get the Baofeng . It was only $20. I can always get my license and pick up a new hobby anyways if it doesn't work.

There are some internet rebroadcasts of many cities and their services online.

http://www.broadcastify.com/

Something like this:

http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/ctid/1212

Thanks but the re-broadcast is too delayed

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    The Depot is is for firearms posts. I put this here because it was the closest thing I could find except the WC.

I shudder at the thought of being in the Water Cooler. There really is no fitting place. I'm glad it's here or I wouldn't have found it.

Anyone going to help out at the Marine Corps Marathon this year? I've done it the last four years and it's a blast.

Registration opened a week or so ago. If you want to volunteer these are the two links you need:

https://mcmregistration.com/Register/default.aspx?cat=122700&newgroup=true&event=32395

and

http://mcmham.org/Volunteer/

If you're interested, there are some events coming up in Patapsco Valley State Park. One is a foot race and the other is a Mountain Bike ride. The interesting thing about these two events is the terrain - for the most part we can't just use a single repeater with HTs. PM me if you're interested. The events are August 8th and 9th. You can do both or either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom