• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I took my tech test a couple weeks ago and passed the first time through. It was actually easier than I thought it would be. I will probably take the general test sometime in the late summer / fall, but that requires some refresher on some stuff. Got a few simplex 2m contacts so far, haven't really messed with any of the local repeaters yet, still getting a feel of the land. I thought I would seek out a vanity call sign, but I got KC3FDX and in a way, I kind of like it.

Mark

Congratulations! FOX-DELTA-XRAY

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I took my tech test a couple weeks ago and passed the first time through. It was actually easier than I thought it would be. I will probably take the general test sometime in the late summer / fall, but that requires some refresher on some stuff. Got a few simplex 2m contacts so far, haven't really messed with any of the local repeaters yet, still getting a feel of the land. I thought I would seek out a vanity call sign, but I got KC3FDX and in a way, I kind of like it.

Mark

Congrats!

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville

Mark

Mine ended in ZLS and I didn't like it at all. I went with a vanity.
    Congrats on getting the test. Good for you for starting with simplex contacts.
    My first QSO was with my cousin who was driving the car in front of me - we discussed where to stop for coffee.

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    So, couple of things. I finally got around to getting all the local repeaters all programmed in both my HT and mobile. So far I am only set up with the 2m and 70cm bands, but I am trying to learn some Morse code and study up for general, so maybe some HF stuff is in my future :D Where is everyone hanging out on those two bands? Any non-HF MDS hangouts?

Second, being that I am quite visual and nerdy, I made some cheat sheets that fit neatly into luggage tag laminates. I thought for all those new folks like me who can't remember every single little thing, these might help. So feel free to use and share them. I adapted some ARRL charts and the data from TMARC for the Maryland band plans. I am going to work on the 23cm, 33cm, 1.25m and 6m band plan cards when I have time.

Mark

Attachments

• ham_cards_public.pdf
      1.1 MB · Views: 648

retafshooter

Apr 28, 2014
    West Elkridge
    License Renewal

I just renewed my license. I've been inactive for about 10 years, but came across a copy of my old license in the drawer and noticed I was past due since last month. I went on line and renewed, so I'm good until 2025. Did they say there was a 2 year grace period? Or did I read that wrong?

KF4TE

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    So, couple of things. I finally got around to getting all the local repeaters all programmed in both my HT and mobile. So far I am only set up with the 2m and 70cm bands, but I am trying to learn some Morse code and study up for general, so maybe some HF stuff is in my future :D Where is everyone hanging out on those two bands? Any non-HF MDS hangouts?

Second, being that I am quite visual and nerdy, I made some cheat sheets that fit neatly into luggage tag laminates. I thought for all those new folks like me who can't remember every single little thing, these might help. So feel free to use and share them. I adapted some ARRL charts and the data from TMARC for the Maryland band plans. I am going to work on the 23cm, 33cm, 1.25m and 6m band plan cards when I have time.

Mark

I'm up on CARA's 2M repeaters mostly (.135 and .390). I occasionally listen in on CARA's 70CM repeaters. I also listen on the CMRG system when traveling outside Howard/Montgomery County. CMRG is a neat system. Bryan has done a hell of a job with it and is a nice guy to boot.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I just renewed my license. I've been inactive for about 10 years, but came across a copy of my old license in the drawer and noticed I was past due since last month. I went on line and renewed, so I'm good until 2025. Did they say there was a 2 year grace period?
    KF4TE

Yes.

§ 97.21 Application for a modified or renewed license grant.

(b) A person whose amateur station license grant has expired may apply to the FCC for renewal of the license grant for another term during a 2 year filing grace period. The application must be received at the address specified above prior to the end of the grace period. Unless and until the license grant is renewed, no privileges in this part are conferred.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

Mark

Nice.

I've got "hang tag" with some of my mobile radios buttons/button combinations on it.

BigCity

retired undertaker
    Oct 24, 2007
    Carroll County
    I'm up on CARA's 2M repeaters mostly (.135 and .390). I occasionally listen in on CARA's 70CM repeaters. I also listen on the CMRG system when traveling outside Howard/Montgomery County. CMRG is a neat system. Bryan has done a hell of a job with it and is a nice guy to boot.

Hyper, I am mostly on CARA 2m also. What is CMRG?

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    Hyper, I am mostly on CARA 2m also. What is CMRG?

Central Maryland Repeater Group.
    It is a group of repeaters covering much of the state. There is one in Aquasco, Suitland, Laurel, Baltimore, and Frederick. They are all linked - so if you key up on one you are outputing to all of them. Pretty slick. From Thurmont you can talk to someone in Waldorf on HTs.

The Laurel repeater seems to be wigging out right now. Not sure what that's about. I'm sure Bryan is aware of it and working on it. They may all be in standalone right now since Laurel is a hub.
    http://www.n3st.net/index_files/CMRG_Repeaters.htm

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    This stuff is as bad as guns, or cameras, or boats, or...

I just ordered a Yaesu FT-7900R and a Larsen 2/70B. That $27 Baofeng proved to be expensive in an unexpected way.

I've been wanting to get into ham and keeping up with this thread until I read post 927. Realization.

The thread is really like "the depot" section. Thanks for all the informative posts. :)

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Central Maryland Repeater Group.
    It is a group of repeaters covering much of the state. There is one in Aquasco, Suitland, Laurel, Baltimore, and Frederick. They are all linked - so if you key up on one you are outputing to all of them. Pretty slick. From Thurmont you can talk to someone in Waldorf on HTs.

The Laurel repeater seems to be wigging out right now. Not sure what that's about. I'm sure Bryan is aware of it and working on it. They may all be in standalone right now since Laurel is a hub.
    http://www.n3st.net/index_files/CMRG_Repeaters.htm

Thanks. I am still trying to learn what repeaters are out there and where my RF holes are for my lowly 5 watts. Oh, I can't wait to upgrade to a dual or quad band mobile with more power.

I've been wanting to get into ham and keeping up with this thread until I read post 927. Realization.

The thread is really like "the depot" section. Thanks for all the informative posts. :)

Yeah, stuff can be pricy.

You're just learning right along with us n00bs.

I was talking with someone this morning about their planned power supply. instead of taking and buying a true HAM supply, they were going to buy a 15~20 buck sever power supply that runs X, then add resistors and drive it to the necessary voltage to power his HF rig. I found that really interesting.

It's stuff like that, that makes me want to find a good Elmer or club to learn hands on.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    MOST switching PS's do not have issues at all, I've seen or run several, including one i repurposed from a Dell Server (73A)....never had a noise issue

SOME will randomly have noise but rarely will, typically a few capacitors in the right spot fixes that....Mostly those PS gripes are from oldtimers with no experience with them (they just know they don't like them based on things they have heard)

Don't Get me wrong...i love my old astron...but there is nothing wrong with a decent switching PS

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    Yeah you guys are all right with the power supply thing. I've run a variety of power supplies: an old astron linear, a newer Pyramid switching supply, an old generic one from eBay, and one I put together using an ATX power supply out of a PC.
    The only one I get noise on is the old generic one from eBay but I can hear a hum just switching it on.
    You can go expensive and not have a problem but you can also go cheap and not have a problem. I'd build another ATX supply in a heartbeat if I needed another one. Very cheap and easy. The newer switching supplies are much better than they used to be.

Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville

Your post got me thinking: This thread really doesn't belong in Central MD.
    In addition, it is very easy to get into ham without spending a fortune. I let costs keep me out for way too long. My first radio was one of those cheap HTs. My second was a Yaesu 2M mobile that I still have in a drawer somewhere that I picked up for $100 used. You can get affordable used gear very easily. Don't let the prices of brand new retail stuff scare you out of a great hobby. There are also hams that will let you borrow stuff and coach you - especially when it comes to public service events. I would spend a whole day working with a new ham at a public service event.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom