• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Depending on the exam you're taking, you will need a calculator and scratch paper. I know I can't do square roots and trig in my head, but if you can, more power to you.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Thanks! One more thing, can I apply for a vanity call sign at the same time, or is that a separate process?

Tac

Zombie Threat Reducer
    Oct 16, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I believe you have to wait till the FCC issues you a callsign. That's what I had to do. As soon as you show up in their database, you can apply. You don't have to wait for it to show up in the snail mail.

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I believe you have to wait till the FCC issues you a callsign. That's what I had to do. As soon as you show up in their database, you can apply. You don't have to wait for it to show up in the snail mail.

Correct, IF your desired call is even available

Tac

Zombie Threat Reducer
    Oct 16, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    There is a resource online that you can search call signs with. It's very popular but the name escapes me at the moment. With it you can search call signs of different lengths (based on license level), as well as it will search applications and predict which, if any, will be approved by the fcc

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Coupla questions about the technician license exam:

1. Is scratch paper permissible? (For doing calculations, etc.)

2. Do I need to preregister or something? There's something about getting an FCC id# before taking the test, what's this about?

Generally, they will give you all you need. In the tests I've taken they said to do calculations on the back of the answer sheet if you were so inclined. DON'T write in their test book.

You can use your own calculator but they will want to check it and zero any memory first.

Preregistration is usually recommended. Most places take walk-ins but if they fill up...

I got the FRN before I took the Tech. test. You can get it at the FCC ULS site.

https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do

By using it, you don't have to give your SSN, and after you pass the Tech you only use your FRN. It's not that they are not trustworthy people, I just don't like using my SSN for anything I don't have to. It was never meant to be a universal identifier. Be prepared however to have to explain what you are doing though. I found that they weren't familiar with pre-getting an FRN but it got straightened out in a couple of seconds.

You have to get a license before you apply for a vanity callsign.

Last edited:

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    There is a resource online that you can search call signs with. It's very popular but the name escapes me at the moment. With it you can search call signs of different lengths (based on license level), as well as it will search applications and predict which, if any, will be approved by the fcc
    Is the site you mention the same one in the link I provided above your post?

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    You shouldn't need to do any Calcs, it's mostly rules and regs but yes you can (See link)

Depending on the exam you're taking, you will need a calculator and scratch paper. I know I can't do square roots and trig in my head, but if you can, more power to you.

Yes and yes, like some really brilliant person once wrote in a FAQ, it's possible to just memorize the correct answers.

However, learning one or two simple formulas can help you answer a bunch of questions, or, narrow your choices.

For instance, the 300/Frequency_in_Mhz = Wavelength_in_Meters and 300/Wavelength_in_Meters = Frequency_in_Mhz can answer or narrow down the answer to questions on the tests about:

- Wire antenna length
    - In what band is a given frequency
    - And, of course frequency to wave length conversions

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.

I use www.ae7q.com

Good luck to anyone taking the exams this weekend at Timonium!

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    I decided not to go, but to wait until I've studied enough to take both the technician and general exams at the same time.

I have been practicing by watching this YouTuber's videos. She has all the technician class pool questions up, and is currently rolling out the general class pool questions:

http://www.youtube.com/user/W3JAG/videos

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    I decided not to go, but to wait until I've studied enough to take both the technician and general exams at the same time.

I have been practicing by watching this YouTuber's videos. She has all the technician class pool questions up, and is currently rolling out the general class pool questions:

http://www.youtube.com/user/W3JAG/videos

Memorizing isn't Understanding...Hope you are using the videos in conjunction with a manual of some type to understand WHY the answer is what it is

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Memorizing isn't Understanding...Hope you are using the videos in conjunction with a manual of some type to understand WHY the answer is what it is

I have played with electronics and radio since I was a kid, so I have that pretty well covered. It's mostly the regulatory stuff I lack knowledge on. The pool questions give me insight on what I need to read up on.

I wanted a ham license at 13, but hated anything to do with morse code. OTOH, I hate speaking into a mic. If/when I do any actual transmitting, it'll most likely be PSK31, trying to eke out DX contacts on minimal power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I wanted a ham license at 13, but hated anything to do with morse code. OTOH, I hate speaking into a mic. If/when I do any actual transmitting, it'll most likely be PSK31, trying to eke out DX contacts on minimal power.

It's a pretty common social phobia. I remember when I took my Tech exam afterwards the lead VE say something about being shy about making that first contact and I thought he was exaggerating. But even though I had jobs in the past where I used radios I still felt a little funny keying the mic for the first time.

One thing I can say to everyone. don't be hesitant to tell people you are a "new ham" even add that to your first transmissions when others come back to you. They'll likely let you know things they might not otherwise like, you sound like you're a little too close to the mic. You'd be surprised how helpful people are on amateur radio. Yes, like any where else there are the few Richards but they usually get shutdown or ignored rapidly.

The best thing to do is listen for a couple of weeks before you make that first call so you get the syntax, mores and culture.

MDGolom

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2010
    Baltimore County
    I have/had the same problem with mic shyness. I'm getting over it and am pretty comfortable with the "you're 59 from Maryland, 73". But when it comes to the chatty people out there who want to talk about everything including the weather, it's a problem.

As for digital, I like RTTY. I'm lucky that my radio can encode and decode without additional hardware.

Dec 31, 2012
    2 × BaoFeng UV-5RE Plus(UV-5R Plus) Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, Improved Stronger Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 Enhanced Version)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C3DJXSC/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_04_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$64.64 for 2
    Good deal or not?

I have the typical frs/gmrs walkies but these look like a good upgrade.
    I'm considering taking the ham plunge and having a pair of 'useful' radios would be a bonus.

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    If you don't have a license, don't bother buying 'em. They're very hard to program without the software, and you can't legally transmit on ANY frequency with them without a license.

The price isn't bad, but you're getting a $25 radio... Keep that in mind. A big-three radio is MUCH better, and there are some chinese brands that are getting a lot better -- baofeng isn't quite there yet.

Dec 31, 2012
    If you don't have a license, don't bother buying 'em. They're very hard to program without the software, and you can't legally transmit on ANY frequency with them without a license.

The price isn't bad, but you're getting a $25 radio... Keep that in mind. A big-three radio is MUCH better, and there are some chinese brands that are getting a lot better -- baofeng isn't quite there yet.

Getting a license was a part of the plan. I just need something to get started. Programming cables are available and also cheap. I don't want to dump money into another hobby that I have limited time to engage in so a free or nearly free class and some cheap radios seemed the way to go.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    2 × BaoFeng UV-5RE Plus(UV-5R Plus) Dual-Band 136-174/400-480 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio, Improved Stronger Case, More Rich and Enhanced Features (2013 Enhanced Version)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C3DJXSC/ref=pd_luc_sbs_02_04_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$64.64 for 2
    Good deal or not?

I have the typical frs/gmrs walkies but these look like a good upgrade.
    I'm considering taking the ham plunge and having a pair of 'useful' radios would be a bonus.

$32.32 per radio is pretty close to the cheapest I've seen them on Amazon. Once in a while they show up for $30/ea. on the lightning deals.

They work fairly well but as noted the programming (by hand) sucks. Fortunately Chirp, the free ware programming software works with them. I'd pay more and invest in the cable with an FTDI chip but others seem to have no problem with the cheap cables with knock off chipsets.

Last edited:

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Baofeng. I have been looking at them for a cheap in recently. Programming them cannot be nearly as difficult as taking the test? I got a 63% on the sample test with no knowledge what so ever, but want to learn. Can you download apps? J/k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom