• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    It has been a while since I read it, so I can't answer.
    I understand. I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday and propagation is pretty technical anyway.

In trying to understand your perspective, I found an online article that aligns itself with the "Reflections' book, in fact references it, and explicitly explains that there are no losses other than the coax. Here is the article: "The Real SWR Page"

In this article, the author states:
    a) the first trip down the coax, about 9% of the energy output from the tuner is lost to resistance and leakage in the coax.
    b) the signal arrives at the mismatch and a portion, depending upon actual degree of mismatch, is reflected back.
    c) whatever is not lost in the coax coming back is re-reflected at the tuner to be in phase with the outgoing signal, contributing to it's amplitude.
    d) this power will echo back and forth until it is either transmitted in phase with the main carrier, or lost to coax resistance and leakage.

It even explicitly states that everything reflects back and forth between the tuner output and antenna feedpoint until absorbed or radiated and there is no other power lost, which you had stated above.

If this is what you are telling me, then, yes, OK, I agree and understand this carefully defined loss description just fine.

What it does NOT explicitly say is that it references the degraded/attenuated output at the tuner, not full amplifier output, yet that is exactly what they are doing and exactly what we were discussing.

No real harm in this, but it fails to make clear that using the tuner costs us power, sometimes a LOT of power, but always some power. Losses are quite clearly NOT confined to the coax until we pay the piper tuner.

The tuner provides the advantage of allowing full amplifier output, and thus greater propagation than if the amp shut itself down, but tuning a balcony rail, so to speak, is extremely costly in terms of wasted power. To say an antenna tuner is without losses is patently untrue because it is impossible.

Pretty solid rule: Insert something passive into a circuit, suffer insertion losses.

With regard to the RF current path, tuners are completely passive. They do not provide positive gain (amplify or supplement the signal in any way). Their use of input power is limited to indicators and switching and is measured in milliamps.

What I said in my first post regarding this 'energy lost/not lost in the tuner' discussion is that the tuner causes losses that increase with mismatch, and suggest that a tuner isn't 'all that' and has substantial losses associated with its use. I stand by that.

I asked rhetorical questions intended to demonstrate this fact. The recurring question has been, because the answer is the key: "Where does the heat inside the tuner come from?"

Very simple answer: Insertion losses.

The RF power output from the amplifier heats the tuner because there is current flow along a path or paths, resistance and voltage drop, which equals power loss.

This direct answer demonstrates that there are indeed tuner losses. It can be no other way. The mere presence of heat, any heat, indicates lost power because we must use power to produce heat. Because the tuner represents circuit path losses that are proportional to the "work" it must use this energy to "do", losses vary and can be substantial, as I have maintained in prior posts. Laws of physics dictate that we cannot do "work" without using energy. Valuable RF energy, in this case.

The link I posted previously with the IR imagery showed exactly what components were hot from dissipating lost RF power. RF power lost to heat....inside the tuner. Testing was discontinued due to excessive heat accumulation and concerns for permanent damage to, you guessed it, the tuner. Between tuner losses, feedline losses and a few percent lost to antenna radiation resistance, they ended up with only 56 watts radiated power from the original 100 watts generated at the amplifier output. The coax loss only theory would have us at 91 watts...

Looking at the Excel chart linked below that compiles tuner specs from the ARRL testing sessions is quite illuminating. Note the MEASURED LOSSES in various tuners at the various match points within the various frequency bands:

Summary Chart, from MatchBoxShootout page.

These are real numbers from real tests. Find your tuner and see what a 10:1, or even a 5:1 does to it with regard to forward power output. Anything lost doesn't make it to the output, so again, to say that there are no losses except in the coax is erroneous.

It is easy to see tuner losses as great as 40%, and there are commonly losses in the 20-30% range. In fact, they treat a modest 10% insertion loss like a nice place to be.

Watts are watts and a direct measure of power, whether it is a 100 watt light bulb, a 1,500 watt cube heater or a 500 watt toaster. A median value loss of 20-30% means that if you are running 1kw into one of these mismatched antennas via a magical tuner, you are burning/losing/wasting enough RF power inside the tuner to light a 250 watt floodlight.

In the case of one of the uglier mismatches "cured" by the tuner, we are saddled with 40%, 50% or even more wasteful losses within the tuner. Several went to 55% and one exceptionally high loss number was at 58%.

Oddly enough, some of them even show >10% losses when tuning into a 50 ohm load. So apparently we sometimes pay for something we don't even need...

Only after enduring this tuner loss do we become subject to the 'no other loss but the coax' assertions put forth in the 'Reflections' theory. We are then only at the mercy of our feedpoint match and how much is reflected, and subsequently lost in the coax, again and again and again.

We still cannot get something for nothing.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    OK, I haven't read Reflections for close to 20 years.

I don't remember anything about tuner losses.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Another tuner article to consider, this is from ARRL

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Technology/tis/info/pdf/9501046.pdf
    Interesting read, thanks.
    Damn! This cant be good for your ham antenna.
    He looks normal....:sad20:

Looks like a pretty sizable beam, glad that's not my rig laying there. Does make me wonder if it was attempted homicide or simply TVI rage.

Found an early copy of Maxwell's book online:
    http://www.k6mhe.com/files/Reflect_rev1.pdf

jasonk1229

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2013
    MD
    I have been procrastinating, and have not yet begun to study for the Tech test. I have the current Tech book and website to study, just need to knock it out over a weekend.

Question: I see the test is changing (ARRL website), on 1 July 2014, it's not clear how many and which questions will be new. Am I better off studying for and taking the current Tech exam, or take the new one after June?

Ever get around to testing? They don't change radically so it doesn't matter which version honestly. The question pool is what I used to study since it is really a lot of basic electronic/radio knowledge.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Hamfest, Testing, Emergency Prep. Timonium Apr. 5

April 5 at the Fairgrounds.

Hamfest.

Computerfest.

Testing (be sure to read the info about the times).

Emergency preparedness (this apparently means vendors selling "amateur radio equipment, batteries, solar panels, food products, and many other items of importance to those who want to be prepared" for "large scale disaster, civil unrest, or disease".

http://www.gbhc.org/index.html

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Guess I better hit the books. I bought the ARRL guide months ago but I haven't dug into it yet.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Ever get around to testing? They don't change radically so it doesn't matter which version honestly. The question pool is what I used to study since it is really a lot of basic electronic/radio knowledge.

Thanks for asking, and no I haven't studied up, nor attempted the test yet. Someone (pretty sure in this thread or maybe a PM) said the same as you : the questions won't change much. The new questions are now, or soon will be open to review soon.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    While this is an "extra" opportunity to take the test, testing is done regularly each month throughout the year and the locations are staggered throughout the state week-to-week so don't sweat making this one opportunity.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Damn! This cant be good for your ham antenna.
    Hi Gary, I was told you were very knowledgeable regarding radio and I wondered if you could provide any insight on a question I have:

Reading the Reflections text I see the references to losses due to a mismatch between the amplifier output and antenna, which then required a matching circuit.

If we control both amplifier design and antenna design, why would we build in such a way as to experience a mismatch as gross as 5:1 to begin with, especially in such a narrow band environment?

garym

Damn Right, Rebel Proud
    Sep 20, 2009
    Davidsonville
    Hi Gary, I was told you were very knowledgeable regarding radio and I wondered if you could provide any insight on a question I have:

Reading the Reflections text I see the references to losses due to a mismatch between the amplifier output and antenna, which then required a matching circuit.

If we control both amplifier design and antenna design, why would we build in such a way as to experience a mismatch as gross as 5:1 to begin with, especially in such a narrow band environment?

The short answer is "that's the way we have always done it!". But you are right, if you have a given antenna that is say 1000 ohms you could build an amp that had an 1000 ohm output and feed it with 1000 ohm line. But to my original answer, we have over the years standardized on coax which is 50 ohms and thus radio/amp outputs are 50 ohms.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    The short answer is "that's the way we have always done it!". But you are right, if you have a given antenna that is say 1000 ohms you could build an amp that had an 1000 ohm output and feed it with 1000 ohm line. But to my original answer, we have over the years standardized on coax which is 50 ohms and thus radio/amp outputs are 50 ohms.

What Gary said :). While it might seem like an arbitrary number, but it is a compromise from transmission line design many many years ago. The best power handling is at z0=30 ohms, and the lowest loss was air dielectric coax with a Z0=77 ohms. So designers split the difference with a nice round 50.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Guess I better hit the books. I bought the ARRL guide months ago but I haven't dug into it yet.
    Same here. Seems like a good kick in the ass to get Extra.
    Good luck, guys!:thumbsup:
    Thank you, the 50 ohm convention makes sense. Because I have worked for the .gov, "that's the way we've always done it!" also makes sense. :)
    What Gary said :). While it might seem like an arbitrary number, but it is a compromise from transmission line design many many years ago. The best power handling is at z0=30 ohms, and the lowest loss was air dielectric coax with a Z0=77 ohms. So designers split the difference with a nice round 50.
    I understand, thank you, and I seen that balance discussed before.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Coupla questions about the technician license exam:

1. Is scratch paper permissible? (For doing calculations, etc.)

2. Do I need to preregister or something? There's something about getting an FCC id# before taking the test, what's this about?

chale127

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2008
    Brooklyn, MD
    Coupla questions about the technician license exam:

1. Is scratch paper permissible? (For doing calculations, etc.)

2. Do I need to preregister or something? There's something about getting an FCC id# before taking the test, what's this about?

You shouldn't need to do any Calcs, it's mostly rules and regs but yes you can (See link)
    and no pre-register with FCC (UNLESS you do not wish to provide your SSN, THEN you need to acquire a FRN), the VE may want a heads up you are coming to the Exam but otherwise you are GTG

http://www.arrl.org/what-to-bring-to-an-exam-session

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom