• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    Got my Baofeng handheld today! been playing around with it trying to see how it works (being sure not to send signals of course) is it possible to listen to FM stations or police/emergency frequencies like old scanners? Or are those frequencies not in the allowable range of these handhelds?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Got my Baofeng handheld today! been playing around with it trying to see how it works (being sure not to send signals of course) is it possible to listen to FM stations or police/emergency frequencies like old scanners? Or are those frequencies not in the allowable range of these handhelds?

Since you don't say what radio you got, I can't answer about the FM (assuming you mean broadcast commercial FM) for the rest of your answer you may want to peruse this post:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2454115&postcount=1 see: Can I use my amateur transceiver as a scanner to hear police, fire, aviation, railroad, weather, etc frequencies?

Edit: if it is a UV5R then yes. it does receive commercial broadcast FM.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/baofeng_uv5r/info

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Well, I got the 718 on the 17th for my birthday present, and promptly made a bunch of contacts in europe this week while I was in NY. Noise level up there was s0 on just about every band. :D

The only problem was the plasma tv. :(

my fiancee got me a Softrock Ensemble RXTX 6.2 for christmas, so there are going to be some fun nights ahead of me. :D

Armed Citizen

Jul 27, 2010
    ah yes sorry, it is the UV-5R. thanks for the help!

Since you don't say what radio you got, I can't answer about the FM (assuming you mean broadcast commercial FM) for the rest of your answer you may want to peruse this post:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=2454115&postcount=1 see: Can I use my amateur transceiver as a scanner to hear police, fire, aviation, railroad, weather, etc frequencies?

Edit: if it is a UV5R then yes. it does receive commercial broadcast FM.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/baofeng_uv5r/info

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I need to get back into this. I've done virtually nothing with my license since I got it earlier this year. Talked to my dad yesterday and he asked me what I've been doing with it and my response was nothing. Going to charge it tonight and start carrying it with me more often.

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I need to get back into this. I've done virtually nothing with my license since I got it earlier this year. Talked to my dad yesterday and he asked me what I've been doing with it and my response was nothing. Going to charge it tonight and start carrying it with me more often.

I take it this is an HT. Do you have a mic and antenna for the car?

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I take it this is an HT. Do you have a mic and antenna for the car?

Yes on the HT, no on car accessories. Although my friend who lent the HT to me does have them I just need to go to his place to pick them up.

I did however just order a Maxpedition CP-L radio carrier so I can look cool while walking to work and back with it on my man-purse. :D

K31

MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Yes on the HT, no on car accessories. Although my friend who lent the HT to me does have them I just need to go to his place to pick them up.

You may want to start listening on your commute to local repeaters.

I did however just order a Maxpedition CP-L radio carrier so I can look cool while walking to work and back with it on my man-purse. :D

Maxpedition is the Louis Vuitton of tactical gear.

netspec

Sep 30, 2008
    Randallstown, MD
    I purchased a Yaesu FT-1500M the other day:

htttp://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/829

Looks to be a good mobile or ECOMM box rig due to its size (almost 5" square). Easy to program.

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Hey whats the rule on doing a "talk show" on a set frequency just like a normal one would be on the radio but no music?

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Hey whats the rule on doing a "talk show" on a set frequency just like a normal one would be on the radio but no music?

reread your tech manual.

People express opinions all the time, but the spirit of the hobby isn't to just talk and not care if people are listening.

Out of curiosity, and all legalities aside, what frequency would you be doing this on? 10m?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    "Broadcasting" is not legal on ham bands.

Broadcasting being one way transmission.

Ham is for two way communications only.

Not to say that some people have not spent some time expounding their views, but always in a "conversation" with others.

bkraft

Jul 24, 2008
    Eldersburg
    Can't believe I just saw this thread.

My FT-7800 is currently down for the count. With only a basic HT I'm not getting out much currently.

Radio was fine a couple weeks ago, then the battery in my truck died. (I was 20 miles from home and at a gas station, so I let them handle the replacement - something I don't typically do.) Anyway, just plugged the face plate in for the first time since the other day, and nothing :sad20:

I checked the leads to the battery in the engine compartment and they look good. I can't get to the actual radio w/o pulling the seat, though, and its been too cold for me to want to go out and mess with it. Likely be a few weeks before I can look into it. I'm hoping it's one of the line fuses or something simple and there was no damage to the radio internals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom