• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I picked up a 350 Legend a few months ago. Since then I’ve been researching load data. I have a Winchester 145 grain pills that I’ve been loading. I’ve been using H-110 & Lil’ Gun.

I also have some dedicated 170 grain something, but the exact manufacture escapes me at the moment. They have a distinctive soft tip. It appears not many dedicated .355 rifle projectiles are made for this caliber at the moment.
    Some of the load data I’ve discovered is for pistols projectiles
    I’m seeking any current information and actual experience loading the 350 Legend.
    Any assistance would appreciated.

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    I picked up a 350 Legend a few months ago. Since then I’ve been researching load data. I have a Winchester 145 grain pills that I’ve been loading. I’ve been using H-110 & Lil’ Gun.

I also have some dedicated 170 grain something, but the exact manufacture escapes me at the moment. They have a distinctive soft tip. It appears not many dedicated .355 rifle projectiles are made for this caliber at the moment.
    Some of the load data I’ve discovered is for pistols projectiles
    I’m seeking any current information and actual experience loading the 350 Legend.
    Any assistance would appreciated.
    Be extremely careful with overpressure signs and COAL, Lil'Gun is rather sensitive to the volume.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Thanks for the info. I’ve been scouring for information.

I was reading the above article and noticed the Lil Gun load data used.
    When you go to the Hodgdon load data site it has some conflicting information.

I’m also reading higher weight bullets (200gr +) but who makes them?

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    Is this for a bolt gun or for a semi auto? I did a bit of 350L handloads for my ruger american ranch bolt action rifle, but I settled with using factory winchester 180 gn SPs for hunting after I was getting the same ballistics and performance with hornady 170 grain interlocks. Of all powders i tried, lil'gun worked best in getting the speeds I wanted.

I also developed a target load for general plinking using 147 grain 9mm fmjs. They didn't feed too well due to the RN profile, but I was able to get it work on a buddies AR. It's flattering sending a 9mm pill down range and hitting things at 200y at grapefruit sized groups.

I put the project on hold in light of waiting for my can to arrive, but I will eventually experiment with loading sub sonic rounds for it. I figured I'd experiment with 200 gn projectiles and CB loads. Projectile choices can also extend to one's used in 357 magnum, sizing them down to .355". 350L would work best with a long and tapered round.

Sent from my SM-A136U1 using Tapatalk

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    Don’t necessarily trust printed load data. I followed Lyman’s book and what was supposed to be in the safe range was way over pressure (bolt was sticking). I use 22 gr. IMR-4227 for a 165 gr. FTX bullet. This is below the specified minimum charge, but it’s accurate and no pressure issues.

That’s being said, I’m still trying to remove a stuck case from my Lee resizing die.

Last edited:

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    Is this for a bolt gun or for a semi auto? I did a bit of 350L handloads for my ruger american ranch bolt action rifle, but I settled with using factory winchester 180 gn SPs for hunting after I was getting the same ballistics and performance with hornady 170 grain interlocks. Of all powders i tried, lil'gun worked best in getting the speeds I wanted.

I also developed a target load for general plinking using 147 grain 9mm fmjs. They didn't feed too well due to the RN profile, but I was able to get it work on a buddies AR. It's flattering sending a 9mm pill down range and hitting things at 200y at grapefruit sized groups.

I put the project on hold in light of waiting for my can to arrive, but I will eventually experiment with loading sub sonic rounds for it. I figured I'd experiment with 200 gn projectiles and CB loads. Projectile choices can also extend to one's used in 357 magnum, sizing them down to .355". 350L would work best with a long and tapered round.

This is for a Ruger American. I’m considering a 350 Legend Upper but before going that route I’m gonna need some consistency of which projectiles & loads work first.
    I also wanna play with subsonic too.

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County

What grain bullet will you start with for your subsonic rounds?

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I was thinking of starting with the lee 358-200-rf, gas checked, and powder coated cast bullet. Since I'm loading for a bolt gun, I can configure them as mouse fart loads to get them to subsonic speeds.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I would size it to .355"-.357" as that is the saami specs for 350L. I believe the ruger american ranch 350L bore diameter is .355", so I would lean towards sizing them to .355" to be safe.

357Max

Feb 28, 2019
    Crownsville
    Shooters World SBR Socom is an excellent powder for 350L

I tried it with both Winchester and Hornady brass. Hornady has slightly more capacity & gave better SD's.
    Win brass weight 101.0 gr
    Hornady brass weight 95gr

Light Crimp & cci #41

Hornady 165 FTX @ 2.265 coal in Hornady brass
    28.5gr = 2146 SD 7.7
    29.5gr (C) = 2195 SD 7.0

Barnes 170 TSX @ 2.265 coal in Hornady brass
    28.2gr = 2111 SD 4.7
    29.2gr (C) 2159 SD 7.3

This was from a 11" barrel AR

Barnes 170 TSX recovered from base of steel plate @200Y
    weight as shown 146gr
    IMG_7423.jpg

IMG_7418.jpg

Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I would size it to .355"-.357" as that is the saami specs for 350L. I believe the ruger american ranch 350L bore diameter is .355", so I would lean towards sizing them to .355" to be safe.
    Thanks!
    I was considering a resizer but I want to explore all of my available options first.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Hornady has a 250 gr Sub-X bullet. Something around 15.0 gr of VV N120 gets you ~1000 fps or so. Not sure how that would fair in a 1 in 14 twist.

I am tempted to try loading 3x 90 gr 9mm HPs in one case.

Growler215

Ultimate Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    SOMD
    I started experimenting with the 250 gr Sub-x bullets in my 1:10 twist 12.5" AR w/pistol length gas, no suppressor (yet.)

Tried 6 powders as well as Hornady factory ammo

Results (1050 fps loads):

Cycled and Locked Back:
    CFE BLK
    A 5744

Cycled/No Lock Back:
    Factory ammo (Hornady)
    A 1680
    IMR 4227

No Cycle or Lock Back:
    Lil' Gun
    N 120

I know the tricks to get other powders to cycle/lock back, but hope to avoid needing them.

I have to do more testing but, unfortunately, at this point A5744 is looking like the most accurate. I say unfortunately because it's the most expensive of the powders I've tried. But I dislike the position sensitivity and temperature sensitivity of Lil' Gun (the cheapest.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom