• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    My wife and I lived in Alexandria from 1986 through 2000. Our first house was on North Kings Hwy, not far from the Krispy Kreme doughnut factory mentioned above. It sounds like that house isn't far from your new neighborhood.

Our last house was a wonderful brick Cape Cod near TC Williams HS. I really loved living there...easy to get to DC, great walkable neighborhood, close to Old Town... but came despise the traffic nightmare that is Northern Virginia. It was ok if you stayed within the confines of the Beltway, but if you had to cross the boundary, you were entering a zone where you could never plan for what it might bring.

My last job while we lived there had my consulting office in McLean and the client site in Chantilly. On average, it was a 40-45 minute commute to the Westfields area. However, there really was no upper limit to how long it could take. If someone sneezed on I-66, it could easily go to an hour and fifteen or an hour and a half.

Sorry to be "Debbie Downer". I truly wish you the best of luck in your new home.

JoeR

Pretoria78

URX Fan
    Mar 30, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    If you're ever around during the week , we'll have to add you to our little MDS luncheon we do on Duke St a couple of times a year.
    I work in Alexandria next to Port City Brewery, so there's after work meet ups to do as well :innocent0

If great pizza is your thing, check out La Casa on Duke St. It's in the Fox Chase shopping center. Their pizza is out of this world.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Not far from Rt. 1-about a mile or so south of 495. Two miles from Huntington metro. I'm not familiar with the area really but I think it's pretty far inside FFX county.

Which side of Rt. 1 are you on? East or West? I used to live on East side of Rt.1 down in the Fort Hunt area many many many moons ago. I still get down in the Kingstowne area at least once a week for business.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    Inspection done. Addendum sent to seller. Awaiting reply. In the meantime...getting quotes from movers.

The pilgrimage to America is moving right along.

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    If great pizza is your thing, check out La Casa on Duke St. It's in the Fox Chase shopping center. Their pizza is out of this world.

I work five minutes from there. We've had a couple of our get togethers at La Casa. I tend to get the Gyro salad-that's very good as well.

Conductor

Mar 14, 2014
    Loudoun County, VA
    If you're south of the beltway, then you're not really in Alexandria, but in Fairfax County. The mailing address is Alexandria, but be glad that you're not actually in the City. Taxes in FFX County are bad enough. They're worse in the City. And the politics of the City really, really suck. I may be wrong, but I don't think there is a single Republican on the City Council.
    Commuting to BAL every day is going to be a bitch. But better than living in MD.

casualmadness

Man about town
    Jun 4, 2012
    VA
    If you're south of the beltway, then you're not really in Alexandria, but in Fairfax County. The mailing address is Alexandria, but be glad that you're not actually in the City. Taxes in FFX County are bad enough. They're worse in the City. And the politics of the City really, really suck. I may be wrong, but I don't think there is a single Republican on the City Council.
    Commuting to BAL every day is going to be a bitch. But better than living in MD.

Yeah we'll be in ffx county. My wife commented last night that she "really wished we could have gotten something in Falls Church or Annandale." I replied with "yeah well I really wish we could have gotten something in King George or even Harper's Ferry."
    But I think my new home will be a great improvement over Silver Spring. The commute...yes that will be awful. I'm already looking for jobs in VA. Not a lot of options in my field though. But hopefully something comes along soon.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Yeah we'll be in ffx county. My wife commented last night that she "really wished we could have gotten something in Falls Church or Annandale." I replied with "yeah well I really wish we could have gotten something in King George or even Harper's Ferry."
    But I think my new home will be a great improvement over Silver Spring. The commute...yes that will be awful. I'm already looking for jobs in VA. Not a lot of options in my field though. But hopefully something comes along soon.

What's your field?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Congrats, I lived not far from West Potomac for 2 years before moving into Springfield. It isn't the perfect spot, but it does have it's advantages - namely the Krispy Kreme right there on 1 across from the Wendy's. And unless they cleared house, the Outback in Beacon Mall does a pretty good job with the food too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom