• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RugerFan

Jul 18, 2013
    Silver Spring
    I'm interested in shooting at AGC, but am daunted by the large choice of affiliated clubs. Can anyone recommend a good one for me?

I live in Silver Spring and enjoy target shooting pistol (.22 & 9mm) and rifle (.22 & .223). I also recently started shooting trap and sporting clays at PG Trap & Skeet and enjoy it quite a bit. I have never hunted, but would if given the opportunity. My 22-year-old son is also interested in joining wherever I do.

Any suggestions?

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I'm interested in shooting at AGC, but am daunted by the large choice of affiliated clubs. Can anyone recommend a good one for me?

I live in Silver Spring and enjoy target shooting pistol (.22 & 9mm) and rifle (.22 & .223). I also recently started shooting trap and sporting clays at PG Trap & Skeet and enjoy it quite a bit. I have never hunted, but would if given the opportunity. My 22-year-old son is also interested in joining wherever I do.

Any suggestions?

Yes, I am a self appointed volunteer recruiter for Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club, perhaps the largest and best run Club at AGC. You are the fourth person I have recruited today.

Monumental is the only 100% NRA Club within AGC, it has a separate Women's Division that is active, a Juniors program that has trained hundreds of kids to shoot safely and to enjoy the shooting sports and the org is run strictly by volunteers from all walks of life.

Monumental has sponsored Women on Target tng for basic rifle, pistol and shotgun for well over 1,000 women in MD. The Club meets monthly but the meetings are not mandatory.

Total fees for the first year are approx. $235 which include the $150 AGC range badge fee and a one year NRA membership fee. There is a token initiation fee and the the annual Club fee. Monumental issues a photo ID to assist the RO in iding their members.

The Club is well run, financially sound and enjoyable. Their annual Holiday celebration was held last Sat.

I believe you and your son would qualify for a family membership.

Come join us.

Lew--Ranger63 & Good guy 176

RJP3579

Mar 10, 2011
    Pasadena, Md
    Yes, I am a self appointed volunteer recruiter for Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club, perhaps the largest and best run Club at AGC. You are the fourth person I have recruited today.

Monumental is the only 100% NRA Club within AGC, it has a separate Women's Division that is active, a Juniors program that has trained hundreds of kids to shoot safely and to enjoy the shooting sports and the org is run strictly by volunteers from all walks of life.

Monumental has sponsored Women on Target tng for basic rifle, pistol and shotgun for well over 1,000 women in MD. The Club meets monthly but the meetings are not mandatory.

Total fees for the first year are approx. $235 which include the $150 AGC range badge fee and a one year NRA membership fee. There is a token initiation fee and the the annual Club fee. Monumental issues a photo ID to assist the RO in iding their members.

The Club is well run, financially sound and enjoyable. Their annual Holiday celebration was held last Sat.

I believe you and your son would qualify for a family membership.

Come join us.

Lew--Ranger63 & Good guy 176
    +1
    I am also a Monumental member. They are also very involved in the high power rifle leagues at the AGC. Lot of fun.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Being involved with an active , involved club is a Good Thing . Undoubtedly Momumental is such a Club. Other people are involved in Clubs elsewhere , and need only route to a Range Badge to have access to AGC also, othrer affiliated clubs meet those requirements.

But I'm calling on the part about Only 100% NRA Club. I know at least two others. Monumental may be unique is raising their dues by the amount of NRA membership , and paying it thru. Do 5 year and Life NRA member applicants get discounts ?

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    As the Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club secretary, I can state that we are a very active club.

We offer a variety of formal and informal shooting events. Many events have grown from individual members who had a suggestion for a shoot. We owe our success to the activity of our members in promoting the shooting sports.

In all fairness to the other 28 clubs at the AGC, I joined Monumental after attending meetings and events of the other clubs. I found Monumental Rifle and Pistol offered the best fir for me in terms of training and events. I encourage you to do the same.

With that said, we would love to have you. Please accept our invitation to you and your son to come out to our next meeting (Feb 15, 2014 @ 2:00PM). If you like what you see, feel free to join!

Last edited:

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Being involved with an active , involved club is a Good Thing . Undoubtedly Momumental is such a Club. Other people are involved in Clubs elsewhere , and need only route to a Range Badge to have access to AGC also, othrer affiliated clubs meet those requirements.

But I'm calling on the part about Only 100% NRA Club. I know at least two others. Monumental may be unique is raising their dues by the amount of NRA membership , and paying it thru. Do 5 year and Life NRA member applicants get discounts ?

In order to join Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club you must be a member of the NRA. There is no discount if you are a 5 year or annual NRA member. We do offer discount NRA renewal rates (annual is $25.00, 5-year is $75.00, and life time is $700 or $750 ?)

The dues structure is:

Iniation Fee (new members, one time only) $15.00
    Annual Club Fee (if under 65) $45.00
    Annual Club Fee (over 65) $22.50
    Annual Club Fee for Spouse (under 65) $22.50
    Annual Club Fee for Spouse (over 65) $11.25

New members get a price break if they join after June. The rates are 1/2 as is the AGC range badge fee.

For the record, the only 100% NRA Gold Club at the AGC is Monumental Rifle and Pistol Club. None of the other clubs (even though they have the NRA membership requirement) have ever applied for the NRA Gold Club status. Furthermore, the NRA recognized Monumental RIfle and Pistol Club for being the Outstanding NRA Gold Club in 2010 (i.e. recipient of the NRA DiBiasio Award).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You made me look up Gold Club Award. Tip of the hat to Momumental. There are also lots of clubs in Md that also meet the standards other that the officially affiliating w/ MSRPA .

But once again I advocate belonging to a full service Club with a broad and active program , and Monumental certainly seems to be one.

( I have long belonged to a diversified full service 100% NRA Club before adding a "Club of Convience" for AGC access . Persons not in that position should look into a full service Club at AGC )

Skins_Brew

loves the smell of cosmo
    Mar 4, 2009
    moйтgomeяу сoцйту
    I am in Greenbelt. Annual dues are $25. No mandatory meetings or anything of the sort.

We do have some events, like high power teams, three gun, etc.

If you are just looking to get into a club so you can shoot, Greenbelt is an option. Not everyone is looking for a ton of involvement.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    You made me look up Gold Club Award. Tip of the hat to Momumental. There are also lots of clubs in Md that also meet the standards other that the officially affiliating w/ MSRPA .

But once again I advocate belonging to a full service Club with a broad and active program , and Monumental certainly seems to be one.

( I have long belonged to a diversified full service 100% NRA Club before adding a "Club of Convience" for AGC access . Persons not in that position should look into a full service Club at AGC )

There are many clubs that are 100% NRA membership but do not meet the other NRA Gold Club requirements (newsletter, youth program, etc).

I would think many would want the designation as it opens up a wealth of support from the NRA, in particular, grants!

I am hoping that a few more of the AGC clubs will become NRA Gold Clubs as they meet the requirements and it cost nothing (other than some forms) to apply.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Does Monumental do club sponsored trap shoots?

Monumental has a trap shoot every 2nd Sunday of the month at the AGC. Right now the Monumental trap league is in 'practice' mode. In March or April the formal league shoots begin.

For more information, please contact Paul Mendez (trap@monumental.org).

I believe the next event in February will be the famous (or is it infamous) Riot Gun Riot (trap with participants being spotted birds for each inch less than
    24" --?)

jthoma24

Jul 25, 2012
    Arnold, MD

Any suggestions?

Homewood

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    MDTCA is by far the best club. ;)

But if MGs are not your thing, there are many other good options.

How much club involvement do you want to have? For me, none at first and Homewood worked great and was easy. I joined the quickest way possible.

Frankly I would not stress it, I would apply to your top two or three and go with whichever turns out the easiest for you. Switching clubs is no big deal, I started in Homewood, went to MRC and am now in MDTCA. There are no real bad choices!

There are clubs that do not require NRA membership and clubs with dues as low as about $25. My membership fee this year was $175 including range badge. $25 Club, $150 Range.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Like IMBLITZVT stated, there are lots of choices. Many of Monumental members started off in one of the other clubs. Some belong to several AGC clubs.

The most important thing is to come out and shoot! You will make friends with fellow shooters from all the clubs and perhaps take an interest in black powder or full-auto along the way.

Much like MD Shooters, the AGC is a large dysfunctional family of shooters but we all support each other in our love for the shooting sports!

Come on out and join us!

necrodude

Aug 22, 2012
    PG county, MD
    I've been wanting to join the AGC for awhile now to. I always hear the shooting when I go to the park that's right up the street from it. I just need to figure out what club to join first. It's a hard choice when they all seem great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom