• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Super fun today.. good to see you Art, maybe next month I will meet you Squaregrouper. I am sunburnt, tired and exhausted.. Can’t wait to do it again...

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Today was awesome. The Normandy stage was great, nice work Stoveman!
    Good to see many familiar faces.
    A few issues with my PCC mags but I’ll get it worked out.
    Heat and humidity kicked my butt, I was whipped by the time I got home.
    Great day today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    Haha... I talked to you.. Told you I liked your shirt and chatted about old school wrestlers. I will formally introduce myself next month..

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Yesterday was a great day indeed. As far as I can tell, everyone left with a smile on their face. Paul did an awesome job preparing the D Day tribute and all of the volunteers kept the lead heading in the right direction.

Sure would like to see someone arrange a rimfire challenge on a different day. Maybe down the road at some point.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I didn't get to show it off in person as much as I would have liked, but in honor of the D-Day theme, I shot this:
    22garand.jpg
    22garandcloseup.jpg

It was made by the (now defunct, I believe) Kingston Armory. The action is not a 100% 10/22 clone, but it uses 10/22mags. It is only a few inches shorter than a real Garand, and heavy. :o In fact, it's a little too heavy to be pushing around from target to target quickly...plus, the rear aperature is a little small for fast target acquisition and the big magazines didn't feed that well...but the view over the front sure looked like a Garand :shrug: and was fun in its own way:D

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Y
    Sure would like to see someone arrange a rimfire challenge on a different day. Maybe down the road at some point.

I didn't get to show it off in person as much as I would have liked, but in honor of the D-Day theme, I shot this:
    View attachment 287476
    View attachment 287477

It was made by the (now defunct, I believe) Kingston Armory. The action is not a 100% 10/22 clone, but it uses 10/22mags. It is only a few inches shorter than a real Garand, and heavy. :o In fact, it's a little too heavy to be pushing around from target to target quickly...plus, the rear aperature is a little small for fast target acquisition and the big magazines didn't feed that well...but the view over the front sure looked like a Garand :shrug: and was fun in its own way:D

I hope it doesn't shit the bed like the 10-22s do, worst part of an otherwise great day was watching shooter after shooter fvck with their 10-22s. Second worst part was watching for them fumble around in their pockets to fetch another 10 rd mag on the big stages.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    I hope it doesn't shit the bed like the 10-22s do, worst part of an otherwise great day was watching shooter after shooter fvck with their 10-22s. Second worst part was watching for them fumble around in their pockets to fetch another 10 rd mag on the big stages.

I really believe it had something to do with the Humidity. I was shooting my CMMG dedicated 22 upper yesterday. I have NEVER had a problem with it until yesterday. It jammed on me the first four stages and then I just put it away. I have never seen so many problems with 10/22's either. It was odd.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

It didn't like the big mags (Ruger 15 and 25 rnd) I was trying to use, but I'm pretty quick about fvcking with my 10/22. ;) I was extra prepared for the big stage. I had considered downloading all my 10 round mags to 8, for the true Garand effect...but I didn't want to keep fumbling around for mags :o

I haven't shot the rifle enough to figure out what ammo it likes. What's kinda weird is that I took it to the range earlier in the week to check my zero and function test the big mags. I have a bunch of Federal Automatch ammo (in the black and white box) that we bought during the last shortage because it was the only thing available. My (and Katie's) experience is that it is junk. A lot of duds (even for bulk rimfire), poor cycling and horrific accuracy out of a variety of guns. You can just tell by variations in the report that it is not consistently charged. I've been just burning it up, since we've been able to restock with better ammo. The 22 Garand ran the big mags fine with the junk ammo, so I figured if it was ok with that, it should be gtg with anything. :shrug:

Well...come match day, it was clearly not gtg with my previously beloved Winchester M22 (black bullets in the black box).:sad20: I'm kinda falling out of love with that ammo now as well. The past two bricks have had malformed cases and bent bullets. I should have just gone high dollar with MiniMags :rolleye12

John, my Co-RO also shot a 10/22 that fought with the 15 round mags. He was able to clear and keep going pretty well too.

I do know where you are coming from though. I've seen inexperienced shooters really struggle...and burn up a lot of time.

I don't get why 10/22's don't work anymore. :shrug: I have an older one (with the metal trigger guard) that behaves itself. Katie's got an older one too that doesn't do too well with accuracy...but functions just fine. She's also got a newish Sporter model that is accurate, but not reliable. My takedown is neither :o But, the one time I was able to convince my Dad to shoot steel challenge at Delta, he used a couple year old 10/22 that ran just fine (with the exact magazine that gave me trouble yesterday) :shrug:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I really believe it had something to do with the Humidity. I was shooting my CMMG dedicated 22 upper yesterday. I have NEVER had a problem with it until yesterday. It jammed on me the first four stages and then I just put it away. I have never seen so many problems with 10/22's either. It was odd.

I know I didn't like the humidity:innocent0

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

It didn't like the big mags (Ruger 15 and 25 rnd) I was trying to use, but I'm pretty quick about fvcking with my 10/22. ;) I was extra prepared for the big stage. I had considered downloading all my 10 round mags to 8, for the true Garand effect...but I didn't want to keep fumbling around for mags :o

I haven't shot the rifle enough to figure out what ammo it likes. What's kinda weird is that I took it to the range earlier in the week to check my zero and function test the big mags. I have a bunch of Federal Automatch ammo (in the black and white box) that we bought during the last shortage because it was the only thing available. My (and Katie's) experience is that it is junk. A lot of duds (even for bulk rimfire), poor cycling and horrific accuracy out of a variety of guns. You can just tell by variations in the report that it is not consistently charged. I've been just burning it up, since we've been able to restock with better ammo. The 22 Garand ran the big mags fine with the junk ammo, so I figured if it was ok with that, it should be gtg with anything. :shrug:

Well...come match day, it was clearly not gtg with my previously beloved Winchester M22 (black bullets in the black box).:sad20: I'm kinda falling out of love with that ammo now as well. The past two bricks have had malformed cases and bent bullets. I should have just gone high dollar with MiniMags :rolleye12

John, my Co-RO also shot a 10/22 that fought with the 15 round mags. He was able to clear and keep going pretty well too.

I do know where you are coming from though. I've seen inexperienced shooters really struggle...and burn up a lot of time.

I don't get why 10/22's don't work anymore. :shrug: I have an older one (with the metal trigger guard) that behaves itself. Katie's got an older one too that doesn't do too well with accuracy...but functions just fine. She's also got a newish Sporter model that is accurate, but not reliable. My takedown is neither :o But, the one time I was able to convince my Dad to shoot steel challenge at Delta, he used a couple year old 10/22 that ran just fine (with the exact magazine that gave me trouble yesterday) :shrug:

Four months ago a guy in my squad was saying that it was the cold making the grease around the bullets harden up.

From first hand knowledge yesterday in my squad we had one guy running a P80 that had a fit on the first stage but other than that all the issues were with the guys running the rimfires.

I get it, if you're a brand new shooter and want to get in the game and that's all you have then so be it, we'll suffer through watching you watch your rimfire take a dump but I wouldn't allow a second gun to be a rimfire. Shoot one and be happy or spend the $$ to shoot something that we're not all watching you mess with in the heat or cold.

Maybe deserving of the unpopular opinions thread but there it is.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Four months ago a guy in my squad was saying that it was the cold making the grease around the bullets harden up.

From first hand knowledge yesterday in my squad we had one guy running a P80 that had a fit on the first stage but other than that all the issues were with the guys running the rimfires.

I get it, if you're a brand new shooter and want to get in the game and that's all you have then so be it, we'll suffer through watching you watch your rimfire take a dump but I wouldn't allow a second gun to be a rimfire. Shoot one and be happy or spend the $$ to shoot something that we're not all watching you mess with in the heat or cold.

Maybe deserving of the unpopular opinions thread but there it is.

I have been thinking a lot about this. There are a lot of pros and cons to rimfire in this event. I hesitate to eliminate rimfire, but maybe we can come up with a local rule to address the issue. For all I know, there may already be a rule that talks about malfunctions and those are treated. I am thinking something along these lines -

If your firearm malfunctions on two or more separate stages and can not be cleared by manually cycling the action and/or dropping/reinserting the magazine, then the 2nd stage and any others after the 2nd will be scored as a DNFs.

In my mind, this would discourage participants from running any gun that they are not 100% confident will cycle properly.

As for the long stages, we have a 120 second par time. If they are fumbling with magazines and the buzzer goes off at 120, then they are finished. I am still a little confused as to why this was an issue, unless I misunderstood something.

We can talk about it this week and try to come up with something that works for everybody.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I have been thinking a lot about this. There are a lot of pros and cons to rimfire in this event. I hesitate to eliminate rimfire, but maybe we can come up with a local rule to address the issue. For all I know, there may already be a rule that talks about malfunctions and those are treated. I am thinking something along these lines -

If your firearm malfunctions on two or more separate stages and can not be cleared by manually cycling the action and/or dropping/reinserting the magazine, then the 2nd stage and any others after the 2nd will be scored as a DNFs.

In my mind, this would discourage participants from running any gun that they are not 100% confident will cycle properly.

As for the long stages, we have a 120 second par time. If they are fumbling with magazines and the buzzer goes off at 120, then they are finished. I am still a little confused as to why this was an issue, unless I misunderstood something.

We can talk about it this week and try to come up with something that works for everybody.

If it was just fumbling for mags on the big stages I wouldn't be griping. It's the constant trying to get the bolt to release after inserting a mag, the FTEs and FTF.

A guy in our squad would routinely strip off a live round after inserting a new mag just to make sure that it fed properly because he didn't trust his mags. Maybe a delay of 5-7 seconds but when that happens on a couple of strings times a couple of shooters per stage on top of the other issues it ends up adding serious time to the match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom