• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    Folks:

It is easy to say I am out of here, knew this would happen, they don't listen so what's the use, F'em all and all the rest of the negative crap. This is not what we need. Yes I am pissed and angry but more than that I am resolved to remain engaged and try to change the dynamics in Annapolis. We need to keep the ground that we gained. By that I mean the 1000s of folks who got active, who decided to come to Annapolis and take a stand and who woke up. We cannot lose that energy by pissing and moaning we need to redirect it to political activism. There are some scared politicians that know they have crossed a line. Stay committed stay focused and stay involved. This is our State and if we quit then what? To quote the movie Galaxy Quest..."Never Give up, Never Surrender".

jpo183

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    in Maryland
    Folks:

It is easy to say I am out of here, knew this would happen, they don't listen so what's the use, F'em all and all the rest of the negative crap. This is not what we need. Yes I am pissed and angry but more than that I am resolved to remain engaged and try to change the dynamics in Annapolis. We need to keep the ground that we gained. By that I mean the 1000s of folks who got active, who decided to come to Annapolis and take a stand and who woke up. We cannot lose that energy by pissing and moaning we need to redirect it to political activism. There are some scared politicians that know they have crossed a line. Stay committed stay focused and stay involved. This is our State and if we quit then what? To quote the movie Galaxy Quest..."Never Give up, Never Surrender".

This. If you move the fight will find you anyway. Look at what happened in VA and PA this past election. Nowhere is safe....except AZ and TX

Tidewatcher

Jan 29, 2012
    It is time to seek revenge on those who so freely and easily gave away what so many men and women sacrificed to protect. Partisan politics has been nullified and elections have a new perspective. We will cross district lines and do what has to be done.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Metaphors and Analogies

It will grow like a cancer now that it has metastasized in CA, NY, CT, CO, and now MD.

So everyone will need to make a personal decision whether to nuke it now or just wait to die a slow horrible death in whatever state you could run to. This was Obama's plan all along ... chip away, chip away, chip away ... only to have the loss of freedom follow you to your grave.

What comes to mind is William Wallace's speech ...

"I am William Wallace. And I see a whole army of my countrymen, here in defiance of tyranny! You have come to fight as free men. And free man you are! What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?”

"Two thousand against ten?” – the veteran shouted. No! We will run – and live!”

"Yes!" Wallace shouted back. "Fight and you may die. Run and you will live at least awhile. And dying in your bed many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for one chance, just one chance, to come back here as young men and tell our enemies that they may take our lives but they will never take our FREEDOM!

Let's go shoot some fireballs from our eyes and bolts of lightening from our ass.

splfd

Jul 27, 2011
    Unfree State
    I'm one of those guys who wasn't very active for most of my entire life regarding gun rights. I'm originally from New York and of course we had very restrictive gun laws back then, of course that was Disney World compared to what it is now. I grew up with guns and hunted upstate. When the service moved me to MD, I thought wow this is freedom. Didn't have to register anything, didn't have to worry about carrying concealed because, I never had it, didn't know what I was missing.

Newtown changed everything.

Not only are things going to get more restrictive, but the politicians have demonized us which I think is far worse than anything. I have an NRA sticker on my bumper, which has prompted a few looks among popular hand signals from people. Of course they don't know me, but they associate the NRA with Adam Lanza. Why, I have no idea.

Here's my point... Is there a thread, or seriously, can we meet and discuss activism 101 as "Lessons Learned." I have received multiple emails and phone calls from MSI, the NRA and other groups telling me I need to email, write, fax, visit and call...etc. So I do these things because I can't let my 2A rights slip away, but here's my issue: Sometimes the emails tell me to call the wrong people or the right people at the wrong times. The staffers are generally friendly, but I find that most times, they are schooling me on the process, which makes me look like a gun supporting idiot. That does does nothing for me or our image.

On a different note, I have met some of you in Annapolis- and the guys who I have met have been incredibly amazing. I mean some of your testimonies were downright brilliant. You spoke eloquently, coherently and intellectually. I wish I could do that.

So- basically if it's not to late or even if it is... Can someone describe the process and where 2A supporters need to interject themselves to the right people at the right times. Can we meet or is this just to much to ask? Or is this over now and the point moot?

I'm with you in 2014- but I think a lot of these new restrictions can be fought in court. How that works, I have no idea, but I would like to find out so I can help.

BTW- I'm an NRA life member for probably 20 years, recently signed up my wife as a life member, and my toddler son. I will be signing up my other two children but at 1K a pop, I did one per month. You can see, I've got the donation part down pretty good. I think. Thanks.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    splfd- Dude, that was pretty eloquent...
    Stay focused, talk to your family, friends, neighbors, co-workers, (you get the idea) and you will be fine. Keep at it!

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    I am here, I am with you. But I also like to stay seated in reality. Where did we make any gains? Who is scared? They voted straight through every vote, not a single defection. Aside of reducing training/fees somewhat this bill is arguably worse than what was originally introduced now that with retro PBJs we have people who must surrender their firearms....

Someone here said that it will take 2-3 "successful" voting cycles to turn the tides in our favor. The best we can hope for is MOM's gone and Frosh failing in his AG run and maybe getting 1 or 2 weak DEMs replaced.

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    The key is not to loose those that have awakened but to keep them motivated. Focus the anger focus the disgust and target the vulnerable representatives who stole our rights.

splfd

Jul 27, 2011
    Unfree State
    Thanks Parshooter- I'm talking brother; I'm talking to anyone who will listen.
    I'm registered to vote and my calender is cleared for 24 June 2014. I'm ready, able and willing. Let's roll...

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    You know what strikes me - the number of guys here now with low number of posts and join dates right after these bad bills were introduced

And I DO NOT mean this in a negative way. It just proves they have hit the hornets nest with a baseball bat

game on!

gswayne

Left Maryland, Freedom
    Nov 9, 2011
    You know what strikes me - the number of guys here now with low number of posts and join dates right after these bad bills were introduced

And I DO NOT mean this in a negative way. It just proves they have hit the hornets nest with a baseball bat

game on!

Exactly! An awakening of major proportions. They have no idea the shit storm that will rain down upon them. The Alamo project alone could change the tide not mention amazing hairdos.

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    It will grow like a cancer now that it has metastasized in CA, NY, CT, CO, and now MD.

So everyone will need to make a personal decision whether to nuke it now or just wait to die a slow horrible death in whatever state you could run to. This was Obama's plan all along ... chip away, chip away, chip away ... only to have the loss of freedom follow you to your grave.

What comes to mind is William Wallace's speech ...

Let's go shoot some fireballs from our eyes and bolts of lightening from our ass.

A few months ago I would have said the wind is at our backs and we were winning the 2A fight (heller, etc). NOW not so much, lost Wollard, SB281, etc. I hope the tide isn't turning against us and this is just an anomaly effecting the "bluest of blue" states (don't know what is happening in CO) and the Supreme Court corrects the legislative errors.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013

game on!

Count me in that crowd... Glad I joined!

Not fading away... Not here or in Annapolis...

Fair warning :D

bogus130

Jan 23, 2013
    I am one of these newbies. I have shot all my life but recently became more active and aware because of what went on the past few months. It has been a huge educational experience for me both political and gun related.

I believe what we can do that will make the most impact is education.

I work at a small (20 people) science lab in Columbia. I have started conversations with 2 people now about this debate. Walking to lunch with one of them I made the comment that I was going into VA to look at some rifles. Her response was, "Oh you Marylanders and your guns". As in, this state is all gun crazy people. I was then able to explain to her that Maryland law is right up there with CA, NY, CO. We have background checks for all handgun purchases, etc. I am now able to bring it up in conversation with her and let her know about shooting and the legislation that has gone through Annapolis.
    The other person thought that Maryland was a pretty conservative state. My jaw dropped when she said that but it was because she is not aware of what is going on. I told her how left MD is and about SB281. She has now continually asked about how SB281 was going. She asks questions about what they are trying to pass and how it would or wouldn't help. Its been great to open their eyes to guns.

Lastly, we need to get the intimidation factor away from guns. Even though I have been shooting all my life, I still get a little rush when I grab my handgun or go to a gun store and get to hold one of those evil black rifles. Think about the people that have never shot or even held a gun. They see a handgun and think about the power it has. Its intimidating and scary for them. We need to get people to see guns as recreation and fun rather than power and intimidation. One way to do this is to take them to the range. Let them pick up a gun and take a shot.
    We need to get the average joe gun owner to talk to their friends, coworkers, family. Persuade them to go to the range with you, and have knowledgeable staff at the range to encourage and instruct.

theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD

game on!

^^THIS. Ive been a member for a while and have been an NRA member for as long as I have been a gun owner and an MSI member since their introduction. Seeing everyone show as much support as they have and fight has hard as they have to defeat these bills is truly sobering to the soul and gives me hope. DINO is in effect, 2014 is going to be a rude awakening for Annapolis. Bring on the court cases, I am ready to fight. :draw:

fly4now

Jun 19, 2009
    Howard County
    I, like splfd, would benefit from an activism 101 lessons learned type discussion. This type of activism is a first for many of us. I sent out e-mails, went to Annapolis several times, showed up at offices of members of the committees to sign their ledgers, but really didn't know what to say and to whom. If I did say anything, I don't think I was effective.

I've sent out e-mails to my senators and delegates in the past, but never like this year. I'm motivated, but don't have any idea of where to direct my efforts from here. What's next? My only sources of info are from this forum, and e-mails from MSI and AGC.

Thanks to everyone for all your efforts. I am encouraged that there are so many of us. They have awakened a sleeping giant.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    This is just the beginning... we have about 18 months to prepare for the next elections. Plenty of time

I believe I saw somewhere that June 9, 2013 is the deadline to switch to the Democrat party to vote in the upcoming primary. So, not as much time as you may think.

Just got my parents, who live in Montgomery County, on the DINO train tonight. My dad has actually woken up. My mom is still in shock. When I told her I was going to move to Richmond back in February and showed her houses online that my wife and I were thinking about buying, she said "They aren't going to pass this bill." She even said that yesterday. Today, she was in shock.

My dad, a 72 year old man that has never owned a handgun, is thinking about buying a couple now.

Me, I promised my wife and kids that we will stay here until all the kids are done with grade school, and maybe while they are in college if they attend a state school. So, I'll be fighting here for about another 20 years (you guys are stuck with me).

Of course, it is always good to have a backup plan. Had been looking at farms on Maryland's eastern shore. Now, I'll be looking on Virginia's eastern shore and the mountains of West Virginia. I plan on retiring on a farm, and it will not be in this state unless there is a huge change between now and then.

milldog

Apr 16, 2011
    College Park

game on!

I was a lurker and then this all happened and here I am; took part in one of the protest days (wanted to do more but job didn't allow it), sending letters off, talking to folks about MDS (potentially got a recruit today discussing the forum, DINO, MSI, and, sadly enough, the WES??? Thread :shocked3: ). Even re-registered :puke2: just to vote against that <censored> Pena-Melnyk and Rosapeppe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom