After more than 60 days I have finally received "application for the purchase of a regulated firearm was Not Disapproved".

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I am now told that because 30 days had passed I have to wait maybe 7 days for a federal recheck. Wow!
    When MD emails you that you are “not disapproved”, that is MD speak for you’re approved. So why do you need an additional 7 days wait? Something doesn’t sound correct.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    NICS “instant” there is no seven day wait for federal. You need to deal with a different FFL.

This FFL needs to be outed as an idiot.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    NICS “instant” there is no seven day wait for federal. You need to deal with a different FFL.

If it has been more than 30 days, the MSP has to do a NICS recheck. Sometimes that takes several more days, dealing with that right now with a customer who is not a "Designated Collector" and had to wait 30 days for the next purchase before he was allowed to pick it up.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    If it has been more than 30 days, the MSP has to do a NICS recheck. Sometimes that takes several more days, dealing with that right now with a customer who is not a "Designated Collector" and had to wait 30 days for the next purchase before he was allowed to pick it up.
    He is “not disapproved” MSPLD is no longer involved

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD

The ATF goes by the date it was submitted. So if it takes 30 plus days to get the ok then per the ATF it must be rechecked. Stupid but it shouldn’t have taken that long to get approved to begin with.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I am not understanding. I thought the NICS check and 4473 were normally done when you picked up the gun, not when you started the 77r or filed the 77r with MSP.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    I am not understanding. I thought the NICS check and 4473 were normally done when you picked up the gun, not when you started the 77r or filed the 77r with MSP.
    When a regulated firearm is purchased in MD, the first thing a customer fills out is the Federal 4473 form (Federal before State for paperwork per ATF). Then they must have a filled out 77r application that the dealer submits with the customer there containing the firearm info. The MSP during the 7 day waiting period conducts among other things a NICS check on the individual. The NICS check is only valid for 30 days, if it longer than that for the customer to receive their firearm then another NICS check must be run by the MSP before the Dealer portal on the MDSP website will allow us to transfer the firearm. Hope this answers some questions...

Phoenix_1295

Creature of Life and Fire
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 6, 2010
    MD
    When a regulated firearm is purchased in MD, the first thing a customer fills out is the Federal 4473 form (Federal before State for paperwork per ATF). Then they must have a filled out 77r application that the dealer submits with the customer there containing the firearm info. The MSP during the 7 day waiting period conducts among other things a NICS check on the individual. The NICS check is only valid for 30 days, if it longer than that for the customer to receive their firearm then another NICS check must be run by the MSP before the Dealer portal on the MDSP website will allow us to transfer the firearm. Hope this answers some questions...
    Great explanation of process. :thumbsup:

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    The ATF goes by the date it was submitted. So if it takes 30 plus days to get the ok then per the ATF it must be rechecked. Stupid but it shouldn’t have taken that long to get approved to begin with.

It happens often enough. The ATF is researching during that thirty-day period and likely found something they are looking into.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    It’s always funny to purchase a new gun and have a cooling off period and at the same time have more guns at home than some FFLs have in stock. “I’m so upset I’m going to murder someone but I need something new to mark the occasion.”

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    It’s always funny to purchase a new gun and have a cooling off period and at the same time have more guns at home than some FFLs have in stock. “I’m so upset I’m going to murder someone but I need something new to mark the occasion.”
    LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom