Affixing a front QD sling swivel on SR 556 ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    In response to the follow up discussion. This will be my SHTF set up/ home defense set up. It seems a 2 point fits my needs at the moment. I can modify later if it makes sense.
    I have a 1911 and Sig 239, both of which I love( among a few others).
    Battle belts weren't "a thing" when I last played with guns,but seems ideal for keeping a handgun close.
    I'll fix the sling this weekend then start the belt search.
    Thanks for all the good insight,

In most cases, you don't need a sling for home defense; you might be better off without one. You might consider training on personal protection inside the home and coming up with a viable security plan.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I only use a sling to carry my rifle around. I don't attach one when I go to the range and I don't keep them on inside the house. Basically only when I am hunting do I attach a sling. They can be useful for offhand shooting as a means of support but I don't practice that much.

M-Lok is super easy to install. Put the nuts and screws on, orient the two flat sided nuts so they will fit in the slot on the handguard, loosen the screws until the nut rotates 90 degrees, then tighten it up.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Hey D I
    Thanks for the perspective. This is all a long overdue work in progress.
    I'm figuring out my home plan currently.
    do not forget possibly a shotgun. I have one. 00 buck and slugs. 00 nice 8x.33 size pellets. And Bidet says to use them. :)

Fate

Mar 18, 2012
    In most cases, you don't need a sling for home defense; you might be better off without one. You might consider training on personal protection inside the home and coming up with a viable security plan.
    Totally disagree. Far harder to be disarmed in a grappling situation with the rifle attached to you

Fate

Mar 18, 2012
    Correct; however, that situation isn't likely if you defend a home correctly. A sling will often hinder the defender.
    Perfect defense isn’t always possible.

Sure, it’s best to lock a door and set up an ambush position while you’re on the phone to 911, but if you have kids in other rooms or on other floors, you can’t hide and need to engage.

I guess we will just have to disagree.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    Perfect defense isn’t always possible.

Sure, it’s best to lock a door and set up an ambush position while you’re on the phone to 911, but if you have kids in other rooms or on other floors, you can’t hide and need to engage.

I guess we will just have to disagree.

The perfect defense is possible. If you are in that situation, you never had the training and a viable security plan. I see it all the time.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Totally disagree. Far harder to be disarmed in a grappling situation with the rifle attached to you
    Don't get into a grappling situation. Don't use a rifle for HD. You will need to use your support hand for grabbing doors/kids/etc... as you are running down the hall getting kids out of the room and ending up in the last kids' room to get your position of advantage.
    Guarantee I can grab your slinged rifle and sling you right down the steps. You aren't doing transition drills to a pistol, so a sling is useless.
    You're not doing 1 man CQB in the house when you have others there. If you decide to do that and leave your wife and kids to fend for themselves, then you are a loser if that happens.

Get some training and a plan.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    Don't get into a grappling situation. Don't use a rifle for HD. You will need to use your support hand for grabbing doors/kids/etc... as you are running down the hall getting kids out of the room and ending up in the last kids' room to get your position of advantage.
    Guarantee I can grab your slinged rifle and sling you right down the steps. You aren't doing transition drills to a pistol, so a sling is useless.
    You're not doing 1 man CQB in the house when you have others there. If you decide to do that and leave your wife and kids to fend for themselves, then you are a loser if that happens.

Get some training and a plan.

This is NOT a security plan but more of a scenario of a last-minute reaction to a threat. In my opinion, the AR is the best home defense firearm. The ammunition type should be based on the location and dwelling type.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    This is NOT a security plan but more of a scenario of a last-minute reaction to a threat. In my opinion, the AR is the best home defense firearm. The ammunition type should be based on the location and dwelling type.
    You must be pretty good at shooting an AR one handed while you're trying to herd your kids down the hall into one room.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    Yes. Happened to me and ive seen it happen to others more than a couple times. I only use steel sockets now. I also regularly inspect for wear and replace suspect parts. They are super convenient but are a potential failure point as well as being noisy. For hunting or other applications where noise discipline is a concern, wind and tie shock cord through all the metal pieces like the sling loop and the adjacent rail apertures. Or use a sling that mounts to the weapon with no moving metal parts.

That said, I have broken HK hooks (not aftermarket ones, either) too. If it moves, it can break.
    Good to hear as confirmation. Ty. I will never be using QD then. Heard too many stories at this point. Best of luck with yours!
    Yeah I prefer fixed for weight,noise,etc anyways.

King Chicken

I identify as King/Emperor
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 24, 2022
    Land Full of Marys - MoCo
    You might have to reset the page.
    Screenshot_20240112-132037.png

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Good to hear as confirmation. Ty. I will never be using QD then. Heard too many stories at this point. Best of luck with yours!
    Yeah I prefer fixed for weight,noise,etc anyways.
    To be fair, I use quality steel sockets and QDs now and haven't lunched one of them. The socket that failed was aluminum.

I use all qd on rifles that will see a lot of range use or that I need to be able to rerig the sling for specific applications (from carrying the rifle around to using the sling as part of shooting stabilization in position or locating the tether point to the distal end of the forend bottom so I can candycane it for downward pressure from a shooting tripod system, etc). In precision rifle games, being able to use different slings or have no sling on different stages is a needed thing.

On a carbine that is dedicated to a task, using coated aircraft cable or wrapping the webbing of the sling itself through/around weapon parts may be preferable if you will dedicate the sling to that gun. Form needs to follow function and your purpose will drive both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom