Affixing a front QD sling swivel on SR 556 ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allan R

Dec 22, 2023
    Baltimore
    First, as a new member, gotta say I;m floored by the wealth of information, freely shared here.
    Between my handgun and AR questions, I'm spending lots of time here.
    The expression " like trying to get a drink from a fire hydrant seems apt!
    Todays question seems embarrassingly simple.
    My new Ruger has a rear sling, non- swivel, non QD mount
    No front mount at all.
    I got a sling attachment but have no idea how to mount it. It requires attaching nuts within the handguard.
    I can't figure out how to remove the HG to do this.
    There;s no delta nut(?) to retract and remove rails and all the yootoobs show removing the upper and detaching the barrell.
    There;s got to be an easier way?
    Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been answered before, I've tried searching for hours.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Is it a M-LOK rail? You need a M-LOK QD mount attachment.

Ouch. Looks like it's KeyMod.

Post a picture.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    First, as a new member, gotta say I;m floored by the wealth of information, freely shared here.
    Between my handgun and AR questions, I'm spending lots of time here.
    The expression " like trying to get a drink from a fire hydrant seems apt!
    Todays question seems embarrassingly simple.
    My new Ruger has a rear sling, non- swivel, non QD mount
    No front mount at all.
    I got a sling attachment but have no idea how to mount it. It requires attaching nuts within the handguard.
    I can't figure out how to remove the HG to do this.
    There;s no delta nut(?) to retract and remove rails and all the yootoobs show removing the upper and detaching the barrell.
    There;s got to be an easier way?
    Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been answered before, I've tried searching for hours.

I have no idea what configuration your rifle is in, so a picture is needed. How do you plan on using the sling?

Allan R

Dec 22, 2023
    Baltimore

Attachments

• 20240110_173219.jpg
      20240110_173219.jpg
      107.3 KB · Views: 54

Mule

Just Mule
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2013
    If it's M-Lok, you shouldn't need to remove anything.

You just orient the "wings" on the anchors so that they'll drop in through the slots. Then, when you turn the screws, those wings should rotate into place.

This link should give you all of the info you need, between drawings and instructional videos

One more piece that comes into play (and maybe what Defense Initiative had been alluding to), is that the way you're planning to use the sling may affect where you choose to mount the adaptor.

It's not uncommon to say "I'm going to put the adapter here." Then, you find out that position may not allow you to do certain things, or places the sling in the way of something, or may not be as comfortable as things would be if the adapter was in a different slot.

So, be prepared to move and reinstall, as needed. (The good news is that it's super easy to do so)

Also, if you decide to put something on the top rail, instead of the side, Gear Sector/ American Defense Manufacturing makes a quality product, and their offset sling mount is nice

Last edited:

Allan R

Dec 22, 2023
    Baltimore
    I was gifte a cheapo Trinity force which says it's M_LOK QD but can't figure out how to access the "inside" of the foregrip to position the nut and hold it while tightening without removing the entire thing.
    BTW thanks, Blaster

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    OP -That looks like the free-floated AR556. The SR556 is an older discontinued model from Ruger. Given that, an M-Lok attachment is your poison as noted above. Installation is simple.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I was gifte a cheapo Trinity force which says it's M_LOK QD but can't figure out how to access the "inside" of the foregrip to position the nut and hold it while tightening without removing the entire thing.
    BTW thanks, Blaster
    You don't access it. You place it over the cut out and the back supports twist perpendicular and stop because they hit a "thingy" lol, and you continue to tighten them until tight.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The sling setup will often dictate how the rifle is to be used.
    Last thing on someone's mind who hasn't even shot their brand new rifle yet. He's not ready for 1 man CQB.

How about ask if he is left or right handed. That would be more relevant to a new shooter on where the sling should be placed.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    Last thing on someone's mind who hasn't even shot their brand new rifle yet. He's not ready for 1 man CQB.

How about ask if he is left or right handed. That would be more relevant to a new shooter on where the sling should be placed.

If you don't care about the cost and are willing to change it until you get it right, then yes.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Is this for urban warfare or jungle? What's the altitude?

:)

Have you or anyone here had QD slings detach? I've heard some horror stories. Cracked optics. Not saying it's common.
    Yes. Happened to me and ive seen it happen to others more than a couple times. I only use steel sockets now. I also regularly inspect for wear and replace suspect parts. They are super convenient but are a potential failure point as well as being noisy. For hunting or other applications where noise discipline is a concern, wind and tie shock cord through all the metal pieces like the sling loop and the adjacent rail apertures. Or use a sling that mounts to the weapon with no moving metal parts.

That said, I have broken HK hooks (not aftermarket ones, either) too. If it moves, it can break.

Allan R

Dec 22, 2023
    Baltimore
    In response to the follow up discussion. This will be my SHTF set up/ home defense set up. It seems a 2 point fits my needs at the moment. I can modify later if it makes sense.
    I have a 1911 and Sig 239, both of which I love( among a few others).
    Battle belts weren't "a thing" when I last played with guns,but seems ideal for keeping a handgun close.
    I'll fix the sling this weekend then start the belt search.
    Thanks for all the good insight,

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom