• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    CFR = Code of Federal Regulations. Title 27 of the CFR is where the ATF regulations are located.

Even though it's neither an acronym nor an initialism, "§" = section sign in laws and regulations.

cpc1027

Jun 25, 2010
    Sparks
    EOTWAWKI: End Of The World As We Know It

seen occasionally, and usually used in a post that elicits a response redirecting the OP to MDPreparedness.com

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Great post. It's been tough sometimes trying to figure out what's being talked about. THANKS!

FWIW - For What It's Worth
    GTG - Good To Go

ETA: Yes, make this a sticky!

ETA - Edit To Add

ProShooter

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2008
    Richmond, Va
    JAFO - Just another F'ing observer!

blue.jpg

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    Don't you just love it when an acronym or an initialism is used in a written document and it is not initially defined? That's a rhetorical question; don't answer it.

To answer my rhetorical question, it drives me crazy. The same goes for using non-existent terms in any regulations and law (e.g., "approval" where approval does not exist). Refer to the following section title in Title 29 of the COMAR dealing with regulated firearms: "29.03.01.10. 10 Sale or Transfer of Regulated Firearms Without Approval." There is no "approval" with regard to regulated firearms.

EHS1976

Mar 28, 2013
    USA
    TANSTAAFL = There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

and EBR = Evil Black Rifle

Didn't Alan Guth say something about there being no such thing as a free lunch or something to that effect when he postulated the inflationary universe theory?

Bad joke I know.

sbmike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2011
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Ultimate acronym:
    Hagtttrnoaspotwrta? Wirttmmtooodl? IantangralNUDebmeuaiewsoMSadoetattc. Igoimaiuamiiiaamotrwrwhtrtacbtdwiatts. fa.

(Has anyone given thought to the revolutionary notion of actually spelling out the words rather than abbreviating? Would it really take that much more time out of our daily lives? I'm not talking about nationally generally recognized abbreviations like NRA, USA, DOJ, etc, but many we use are issue-specific even within sub-groups on Maryland Shooters, and duplicated or even triplicated adding to the confusion. I'm guilty of it myself although I usually ask myself if it is an abbreviation the majority of the readers will recognize without having to refer to a code book to decipher what I am trying to say.
    Flame away) :innocent0 :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom