• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunup

Jun 17, 2010
    Towson, MD.
    I am a proud owner of AR15 for a while now and I love it!!! I go shooting every chance I get but ACR Bushmaster caught my interest. Looks great, It's also much lighter and I like the fact that you can take out and replace the barrel so easily which could come in handy.

Thoughts?

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    I am a proud owner of AR15 for a while now and I love it!!! I go shooting every chance I get but ACR Bushmaster caught my interest. Looks great, It's also much lighter and I like the fact that you can take out and replace the barrel so easily which could come in handy.

Thoughts?

Do you shoot often enough to wear out the barrel? If so, then it might be a good investment. :P

Bushmaster promised interchangeable barrels in multiple calibers, including 7.62x39 and 6.8SPC. So far, they have yet to produce. This effectively renders the ACR's greatest advantage to recreational shooters pretty much null and void.

Beyond that...it depends if you want to pay that much for it. It's a neat gun...just overpriced.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    Do you shoot often enough to wear out the barrel? If so, then it might be a good investment. :P

Bushmaster promised interchangeable barrels in multiple calibers, including 7.62x39 and 6.8SPC. So far, they have yet to produce. This effectively renders the ACR's greatest advantage to recreational shooters pretty much null and void.

Beyond that...it depends if you want to pay that much for it. It's a neat gun...just overpriced.

this, pretty much.

the rifle has been in production for more than long enough for these conversions to be released, but...where are they?

the only reason i would buy an ACR would be to make a briefcase rifle out of it...and by that i mean a rifle that can be taken down and fit into a standard looking briefcase...dono why...but for some reason i've always wanted a rifle that could do that lol

squirrels

Who cooks for you?
    Jan 25, 2008
    If you ask my personal opinion, which is worth what you're paying me for it, I think Bushmaster is finally realizing the mistake they made buying the Masada/ACR rights from MagPul and trying to back away slowly.

My guess is that they got a rifle they thought they were going to be able to produce with relatively low-cost re-using some of their AR15 production-line parts, but that ended up being a one-off design they had to re-engineer to be able to produce it cost-effectively.

BM dumped so much into R&D that they had to price the rifle way above what it was worth (in the 2K range) to be able to make any money from it. They were hoping that Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2 fanboi-ism would help bolster sales, I guess.

I'm willing to wager the reason they aren't developing the interchangeable parts for it is because the rifles, while decent plinkers, just aren't good enough rifles to command the price BM puts on them. If you're BM in this situation, do you continue producing middle-of-the-road AR15s which are tried-and-true and sell like hotcakes, or do you dump a sh!t-ton more money into a one-off rifle for a small gun-hobbyist market, hoping to make it profitable?

The choice is pretty obvious. The people who love the ACR will pay the premium to have it in their collection. Everyone else will buy an AR15.

I would not expect BM to spend any money developing alternate barrels/chamberings any time soon, that's for sure.

If I were you...I'd say go handle the rifles. See how they balance, how the trigger feels, how the ergos fit you. Think about what you're going to be doing with them...either rifle is plenty accurate enough for a weekend shooter at Hap Baker or ENSF. Either rifle should hold the zombies off plenty long enough, too.

Then look at the price-tag and think about whether there are any features that make the ACR worth it for you. If you think you're gonna like it just because it's an ACR, that may be enough to justify the extra cost for some people.

I'd consider one at like, $1250 maybe. :D Not paying what BM wants for it, though.

gunup

Jun 17, 2010
    Towson, MD.
    I agree that ACR is expensive but goot things are not cheap, but Is that the case here?

You can have a pretty nice AR for about $1000 (without optics) ones you replace few things her and there. ACR will run you about $2000...... so is ACR $1000 better than AR15, or is that a waist of money?

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The ACR is basically a dead end at this point. Unless you desperately need to change from 5.56mm to 7.62x39mm on the fly, I just don't see what it nets you.

I'd rather have an LWRC for that price...

gunup

Jun 17, 2010
    Towson, MD.
    this, pretty much.

the rifle has been in production for more than long enough for these conversions to be released, but...where are they?

the only reason i would buy an ACR would be to make a briefcase rifle out of it...and by that i mean a rifle that can be taken down and fit into a standard looking briefcase...dono why...but for some reason i've always wanted a rifle that could do that lol

You make some good points.....

Slimjim

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2007
    Just get an LMT MRP. It's about the same price, quick change barrels, and no parts you cant source easily, And AR barrel can be converted to it for a small fee, So you dont have to wait for bushmaster to make new barrels and magwells.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Wait for the Beretta ARX160 to hit the civy market. The ACR is a meidocre at best so is the SCAR IMHO.

Beretta has been sittng back watching manufacturers make mistakes and designing an awesome gun.

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    It's far overpriced for what it is, but if you have the money, go for it. The best thing about the ACR is the position of the ambi bolt catch/release. The worst thing about it is that it's front heavy. It doesn't balance in the hand very well. Also, I wouldn't ever expect interchangeable barrels for it, they would have done it by now if they were going to.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I'd save the money and buy 2 AK's to mount on top of my house.

A. thats way cooler than an ACR
    B. It's way more effective then one plastic gun
    C. AK's won't sleep with your wife and sit next to your during breakfast and laugh at your jokes all while knowing what they did!!!!! Damn sneaky ACR's!!!!

mancheechee

Daily Trigger
    Jul 22, 2010
    Frederick
    I'll be in the market for a .308 next year...but not sure if I should go bolt or AR...

I'll have to keep my eyes out for the Colt .308/5.56
    model number???? or sneak peak link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom