• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ImperatorZices

Imperator
    Jan 22, 2009
    I recently received a trade offer that includes what looks like an ACOG TA01 NSN.

The seller is unsure of the exact model, and he says there is no tritium illumination of the reticle. He also claims to have used it in Afghanistan.

Is there a surefire way to determine the optic's authenticity? If it's genuine, what would be its current market value?

The pic he sent:
    zneN6.jpg

Thanks all!

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    there are so many fakes out there, people get burned all the time. I would not chance it, especially since its all painted up.

Jun 30, 2010
    Churchton
    It's hard to tell from that picture if it's authentic or not...some of those Airsoft replicas are pretty spot-on...still would only trust from a dealer.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    Well, he painted over the SN, so you are out of luck there. The easiest way to tell most fakes is on the opposite side from that pictured. The "Trijicon ACOG" lettering is screened on almost all fakes. On the real scope, the lettering is molding with the metal and is raised. Also on that side, there should be raised lettering with "Made in the USA" and (if it is a couple years old) it has the bible verse. If it has all of this, that does not mean it is real, but if it doesn't, it is definately fake.

Looking through the glass is also usually a pretty quick way to tell. The carity difference between real and fake is not subtle.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Another issue... isn't it technically illegal to buy these if they were issued to servicemembers and not returned? Obviously personally purchased items (backed up by sales receipt as stated above) would not be an issue. I remember reading a couple threads over on M4C where people have bought high-dollar items like ACOGs and PEQ-2s etc only to have been approached by gov't agents looking to reclaim the property and obtain the identity of the source where it was purchased...

I dunno but in today's environment where the government and military are hurting for money I wouldn't put it past them to investigate those sorts of things.

Plus the issue of counterfeits and airsoft knockoffs. I once saw an EOTech that when you pressed the "NV" button, the reticle turned green. :rofl:

booker

Apr 5, 2008
    Baltimore
    Doesn't look right to me. I wouldn't risk it. With optics, better to buy new unless it's a dealer or a trusted source.

BRASS

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 29, 2012
    I've seen countless Trijicon fakes. The funny part is they usually advertise them priced higher than you can buy them online at reputable dealers. Of course Ebay is full of $40 Triji fakes.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I've seen countless Trijicon fakes. The funny part is they usually advertise them priced higher than you can buy them online at reputable dealers.

I see loopy pricing on the fakes at most local gun shows. Suckers beware.

walstib

Jul 4, 2010
    havre de grace
    ta01

a real one new goes for about a grand or more theres a used one with paperwork on armslist.com under maryland section i think it was 700 but not sure good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom