• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BillC

Jan 11, 2010
    Silver Spring, MD
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it has to be marked on the lower receiver hbar. Is yours engraved on the lower?
    No, mine is marked "Colt AR-15 A3". Which is the reason why they claimed it was a regulated, and not exempt, firearm.

Did they take the gun or leave it with you?
    Left it with me. They never made any attempt to take it or even imply they were going to take it. Besides, I was not going to give it up without a warrant.

Did you get it from SSG Tactical? They were the dealer in that thread too and were being audited.
    Yes, same dealer.

1. Does this mean MD gun shops can stamp "Colt Sporter HBAR" on anything they want to sell C&C?

2. That's absolute bull$hit. This is almost the same story we heard last week too.
    1. Unknown, but I suspect the MSP would not look favorably on that.
    2. Agreed.

CZ Fanboy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 19, 2013
    I saw a Maryland resident being sold a Sig 551A1 in Virginia. He handed the credit card, filled out standard paperwork, then got the Sig 551A1 immediately. I knew he was MD because he asked if it would be regulated as the Sig 551 is on the list in Maryland. What just happened?

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    Ok I would be calling a pro-2A lawyer

What should those who cannot afford a lawyer do? A large part of the questions are answered pretty quickly with "call a lawyer". There are probably a number of folks on this forum alone who don't have the means to just call up a lawyer and hire them.

Anyone know of any lawyers who are 2A friendly and willing to help those in need? If not, there might be a lot of people going unrepresented into a game where the rules seem to change by the hour.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    This is definitely over the line.

Rousting people in their homes at 6:00 to force registration of guns never before considered regulated is the stuff of tyranny.

I would contact pro 2-A Delegates and Senators, as well as the Associated Gun Clubs, and the NRA.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    It's going to suck for anyone getting called post 10/1. I bet they'll say you can't register it since it's an illegal firearm and therefore they need to confiscate. They're probably just testing the waters to see who's going to comply.

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    Don't take this out on the MSP. The Troopers were pawns in this scenario. These orders are coming from higher up.

Not taking anything out on anyone--just thought this one got settled years ago. If anything the troopers are being pretty reasonable with a sucky task.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    No MSP will enter my home and require me to sign/fill out anything. This is complete BS. Someone from MSI or the SAF should be looking into this and advising us. They are attacking us one at a time and picking off weapons. Once they have precedent of what they allow to be regulated and non-regulated, we are screwed even more than we already are.

MSP: "Well, these folks willingly registered their rifles, why would anyone be opposed?"

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    If they are doing targeted home visits now, it is my opinion that they will be doing targeted range visits after 01OCT2013.

The intimidation keeps mounting...

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    It's going to suck for anyone getting called post 10/1. I bet they'll say you can't register it since it's an illegal firearm and therefore they need to confiscate. They're probably just testing the waters to see who's going to comply.

I think you're absolutely right. They're going to confiscate.

Coincidentally, SB 281 let's them audit MD gun dealers at will, too. Correct?

JADCecil

May 7, 2013
    Cecil County
    This is serious and alarming. Clearly, the Administration is attempting to close the perceived gaps in 281 by both enforcement (confiscation post 10/1) and policy (proposed COMAR).

This is the real battleground, and perhaps more so than the personal info release.

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    No disrespect to MSP as i know they are just following orders however if someone from MDS that reads this were to get a visit and says KICK ROCKS your not seeing anything without a warrant, how do u think that would go?

CLP

Dec 18, 2012
    No disrespect to MSP as i know they are just following orders however if someone from MDS that reads this were to get a visit and say KICK ROCKS your not seeing anything withot a warrant, how do u think that would go?

That is the mentality they want to instill, by making examples out of targeted individuals it weakens the will of others to resist tyranny. If this happened to me I can't say what I would do, who is going to risk the consequences of noncompliance. How can you provide for your family and protect them if you are stacked with legal fees or in jail?

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    I get where you are all coming from.. but this rifle was not a HBAR marked rifle, correct?
    therefore regulated in MD?

what would usually happen if you purchased a regulated rifle, out of state - and something went wrong? ATF since its cross state lines?

Wojo

What's that Smell
    May 8, 2012
    Wrong side of the Potomac
    That is the mentality they want to instill, by making examples out of targeted individuals it weakens the will of others to resist tyranny. If this happened to me I can't say what I would do, who is going to risk the consequences of noncompliance. How can you provide for your family and protect them if you are stacked with legal fees or in jail?

I have not purchased anything out of state or unregulated so i doubt i would get a visit. But if i do, i'll have the phone ready and will post the video shortly thereafter! :D

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    Sooo ...

What happended to the SB281 interpretation that an HBAR is an HBAR, is an HBAR ?

SB281 FAQ
    Q: Are all HBAR AR-15s considered to be copies of the Colt Sporter H-BAR?

A: I've heard two different answers to this:
    1. The MFLDA was told by the MSP a long time ago that it was only with a fixed stock.
    2. The MSP says right now that it's any AR-15 with a heavy profile barrel. Early reports from the MSP meeting indicate they are going to be more specific about the required profile in the future.

The second interpretation is the one that is generally accepted, but be aware that the first interpretation is still in play at some FFLs.

If they can determine that a Colt AR15 can be copied, why not a Colt Sporter AR15 HBAR ?

I know, they're making chit up as they go ... like how to reduce the application backlog by inadvertently-on-purpose releasing PII. :mad54:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I just checked the FAQ page about SB281 on the MSP website and I swear this question and answer has changed very, very recently. Last time I looked the answer was much more lenient regarding HBAR clones. Now read it. Although it still doesn't really answer the question about HBAR clones, it doesn't sound good.

Also note they are lumping AR-10's in with HBAR AR-15's. Apparently whoever wrote this doesn't know the difference.

http://mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage/FAQ.aspx

Q. In the past, semi automatic AR10 or Heavy Barrel "H Bar" AR rifles - have been considered long rifles and were not subject to a waiting period (per FFL & MSP approved sales). Our team uses these rifles in competitions - are they now part of the ban or considered regulated? They are not on the firearms list.

A: According to existing law and the new law, the Colt AR-15 Sporter H-Bar rifle is exempt from the ban and is still for sale as a long gun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom