• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'd like to be of assistance but this prose got me twitching real bad...

In his previous threads , the consensus was that the OP is legitimate person , with real questions, for whom English is not his first language .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not current on MD laws, but I'll offer my opinion regardless. Why can't she just take them to the FFL/shop and sell them? Why do you need to involve the MSP/fill out inheritance paperwork, etc.? I mean, she's already in possession of them anyway if they're in her house and she's the sole occupant. No one has ever asked me for "proof of ownership" when selling before - they just have me fill out my PII and then log the gun it into their books.

IANAL , but with both myself and Mrs Biggfoot having dealt with deceased parents , who hadn't done maximum formalities when their respective spouses predeceased them , we discovered a bit .

Technically estates need to be formally opened , Personal Representives recognized/ appointed by the Court , etc , etc . Intestate has it's own body of law and procedures.

That said , if there isn't large amounts of assets or complicated financial issues , it's usual handled more informally . If there are no distant greedy relatives coming out of the woodwork wanting a piece of imagined pie, 99% of the time , for 99% of the things , the obvious spouse/ surviving offspring handle it with a copy of the Death Certificate.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I inherited a handgun last year April, the 77R (section 7 )require
    HQL, I provided my HQL# , but now I saw the inheritance can be an exception but must provide the proper documentation.

True and accurate statements.

As mentioned above, she can go sell them directly to an FFL. She would be best to bring her ID and his death certificate although I don't know if that's needed or not. She doesn't need to have them transferred to herself via MSP

Also essentially accurate.

IF she were to keep for herself some or all of the firearms, especially if it were a Grandfathered , otherwise Banned Rifle , doing the HQL exempt transfer could well be a Wise course .

If simply converting Firearms assets into liquid assets , sell / place on consignment to FFL . HQL not required to sell . Have a copy of Death Certificate , IF FFL happens to ask , but they very well won't .

( Next time I catch up with my FFL buddy who specializes in handling Estates ( in a mutually beneficial way ) , as to how his clients usually handle this .)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I’m sorry, but that just doesn’t sound accurate. Also, I don’t have very much faith in MSP to know the law either (even though they’re tasked with enforcing it). I know of a situation similar to above and the PR was asked if their name was on the Death certificate. SMH
    It actually is very accurate, and almost word for word from State Statute with regards to the actual transfer. The DC letter is a nice add if all of the handguns are going to the same person.

She DOES NOT need an HQL to have the handguns transferred to her at the MSP barracks or an FFL, nor does she need a DC letter.

This subject has been asked and answered well over 100 times since October 2013 when the HQL came into being.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    My question now is if she can inherit there guns without HQL requirement ,
    Yes, she can, inhertance is actually an exclusion from the HQL in State Statute.

she may hasn't to sell guns and just go to barracks to finish the paperwork, that's easy way. Applying the HQL need spend around $250 and take 4 hours class. but , has this rule changed?
    No the LAW (not rule) hasn't changed.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I mean "title" is a person's name which is on the MPD system, not a paper title like a car.
    Even if you sell your handguns, they are still on the list of firearms transferred to you. That is what is maintained, a list of regulated (currently handguns) transferred to you on a 77R.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Look at all the help the great members here offer. Now we know why most of the post are in the water cooler. Only the greatest can comment. No outsiders to ask questions that they need help with.
    It would be nice if they use the search function, especially in this case which is a common occurance in Maryland. For not so common issues, I can see a first post being a question.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Better watch yourself. You've been restricted many times for all the great help you've provided over the years.
    He's actually provided quite a bit of great help over the years. It's a shame you haven't been here long enough to understand that and simply call the entire community out for how questions like this (that have been asked and answered well over 100 times) get handled.

Tapper

MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2024
    Pasadena
    It actually is very accurate, and almost word for word from State Statute with regards to the actual transfer. The DC letter is a nice add if all of the handguns are going to the same person.

She DOES NOT need an HQL to have the handguns transferred to her at the MSP barracks or an FFL, nor does she need a DC letter.

This subject has been asked and answered well over 100 times since October 2013 when the HQL came into being.
    My mistake, somehow I misunderstood the post. When I read the post initially, I confused the civilian part with the MSP part and thought they were saying they needed an HQL or to surrender the guns.

Defense Initiative

Aug 2, 2023
    Maryland
    She want to directly sell two handguns to a Maryland or Virginia dealer , not private sell, also she don't want to apply a HQL to switch the title to own these guns, the title are still under her husband name. I remember I sold two handguns on Virginia gun shows since I moved to Maryland, but I only was asked to provide the DL and no one ask about if I am the owner or not, but I never sold other person's gun, so I have no experience to answer the above question.
    Thanks.
    What does she have? If it's something good, many dealers will likely rip her off.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    10 second Google search:

"Correct, inherited firearms are exempt from the HQL requirement. All she has to do is go to the barracks and fill out the paperwork. There is no fee for inheritance transfers."

Has this changed?
    I stopped expecting people to do the work, i.e. a simple Search when others are happy to do the work for them

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom