• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Went to the Gunshow in Frederick this morning. Got there at 7:45 and there was already about 80 people in front of me. Walked in an checked out Shooters Discount's table (Lou had some good stuff so if you're looking for a Mosin or other surplus rifle check him out). Walked by another table and saw a strange looking M38 carbine. Didn't look as nice as the other refurbs around so I took a closer look, crossed my fingers, took a deep breath and saw a Finnish SA stamp! Needless to say I never put it down and gladly paid $225 for it and walked away happy. Sucks that I had spent all my gun money within 5 minutes of walking in the door but I could care less now, a Finn Capture M38 has been one of the tops of my list since I started collecting.

Now for the run-down. Its an ALL Matching 1941 Ishvesk. All parts seem to be correct Ishvesk stamped as well. Got a Pre war M38 stock and the bore is spotless with a little rust, oh and its non-counterbored. The finish looks surprisingly good and there isn't any issues. Don't know if I should shoot it or leave it a safe queen yet. h2u and pysoring I'd love to hear you're guy's input on it.

Attachments

• DSCN2544.jpg
      DSCN2544.jpg
      119.6 KB · Views: 263
    • DSCN2546.jpg
      DSCN2546.jpg
      88.2 KB · Views: 270
    • DSCN2549.jpg
      DSCN2549.jpg
      91.3 KB · Views: 269
    • DSCN2550.jpg
      DSCN2550.jpg
      88.3 KB · Views: 262
    • DSCN2551.jpg
      DSCN2551.jpg
      103.9 KB · Views: 265
    • DSCN2552.jpg
      DSCN2552.jpg
      46.2 KB · Views: 257
    • DSCN2553.jpg
      DSCN2553.jpg
      113.5 KB · Views: 266
    • DSCN2555.jpg
      DSCN2555.jpg
      101.7 KB · Views: 257
    • DSCN2557.jpg
      DSCN2557.jpg
      89.7 KB · Views: 267
    • DSCN2559.jpg
      DSCN2559.jpg
      81.3 KB · Views: 253

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Dan,
    Great grab!! Finn carbines are pretty scarce-ESPECIALLY all matching examples. Your rifle is easily worth the price paid :thumbsup:

I do have a reservation about the stock. I've seen several Finned M38's and none have had a stock with that light of a color. Looking further, I see the grasping grooves are much darker and much closer to that Finn oiled look.
    The pictures in the daylight appear a little too shiny-did someone rub it with BLO? Again, without it in my hands - I can't be sure and will leave the call on the stock to you as you have other Finned Mosins to compare the stock to.

Being all original matching is a BIG plus in my book. Most of the Finned carbines I see have either a M/M or Finn matched bolt.
    Because these are so few and far between, the going rate for them lately has been $700-$2000+ depending on year and condition. Even if the stock has been lightly sanded and refinished, it's still easily worth twice what you paid.

I'd say go ahead and shoot it if you want to. If you own another M38, switch out the stocks for range use, just so you don't have a chance to drop or crack it shooting.

I'd be VERY happy to own that carbine at the price you paid! :D
    Congrats and let me know if you decide to sell down the road ;)

Here are two pictures of my all original matching Finned M38. 1941 as well.

Attachments

• DSC01959.jpg
      DSC01959.jpg
      159.8 KB · Views: 244
    • DSC01915.jpg
      DSC01915.jpg
      48.3 KB · Views: 236

Bravo757

Stand In The Gap
    Apr 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    I happily get that FINN bug handy so I always have an excuse to pick another one up - I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Mauser NUT but the Finn-Nagants... ya gotta love the history.

Congrat's on a fine looking rifle

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks everybody, I do agree h2u the stock does look like somebody may have messed with it but its a little iffy to me. The pictures make it look a little shinier than it really is although it is very possible

psoyring

Ultimate Member
    Apr 25, 2010
    Brunswick MD
    I really wouldn't worry about the stock, it may very well be the original finish. If the stock is a potbelly then the finishes are pretty uniform but if the stock is Russian, then the finishes are all over the place, from very light to very dark. The Finns stripped a lot of the Russian stocks and then attempted to give them the pine tar treatment, and this often produced some really strange looking results.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i believe i talked to you at the shooters discount table and commented on your score.
    congrats at a great find!:)

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    i believe i talked to you at the shooters discount table and commented on your score.
    congrats at a great find!:)

Yup that was me. Nice talkin to you as well.

Doctor M, Thanks! I sat there for about 20 minutes before I posted this thread trying to think of a whitty attention grabbing title before I thought of it...just kidding :lol2:

h2u

Village Idiot
    Jul 8, 2007
    South County
    Thanks everybody, I do agree h2u the stock does look like somebody may have messed with it but its a little iffy to me. The pictures make it look a little shinier than it really is although it is very possible

Don't sweat it. You've got a very hard to find carbine captured by the Finns during the Continuation War. As has already been said (other forum), these Finn-captured carbines are extremely hard to find as they weren't issued to front line troops. The Finns weren't exactly steam-rolling through the Russian lines, so getting firearms from the REMF's did not happen much at all ;)

I know many advanced Finn collectors that don't have that carbine. You did very well!

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Don't sweat it. You've got a very hard to find carbine captured by the Finns during the Continuation War. As has already been said (other forum), these Finn-captured carbines are extremely hard to find as they weren't issued to front line troops. The Finns weren't exactly steam-rolling through the Russian lines, so getting firearms from the REMF's did not happen much at all ;)

I know many advanced Finn collectors that don't have that carbine. You did very well!

Now if I could only seem to find a Finn Capture M44. Now that would be something!

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Congratulations! A great score for any Finn collector. You can now say you have something that I don't. I've been looking hard at just about every M38 I run across for the boxed SA and no luck for me, yet.
    Sanded stock isn't a real big deal, considering how hard these are to find (let alone matching) and the excellent price you paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom