• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    Many people see this as an infringement, however, if you unknowingly sell a rifle to someone who beat someone up in a fight in college, and is now disqualified, how would you know?

Many people who are disqualified know they're disqualified and instead turn to internet forums to buy their firearms face to face without a NICS check.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I agree...this isn't much of a compromise in the since that we wouldn't be giving up anything. I'm not sure why so many on here are against this.

What rights or freedoms are being granted in return?

The 2A has been widdled away for the last 80 years. If we keep compromising what will be left?

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    The republicans should offer a compromise bill. Stipulate to universal background checks. Create an online NICS database. You would access it by entering your info(SSN ,name) and the other parties info. It would then respond up or down with number. No records of types or number of firearms could be kept . (while I know this is hard to believe possible but we rely that it is true with the currents nics system through an FFL) Now for the rest. The check they run is to find out whether your are felon or have other disqualifying attributes. It should check whether you are alive or dead. This could also be used at the polls. I would assume most firearm disqualifications (like convicted felon, terrorist, or you are dead) also removes your right to vote. When you got to the polls you do the same thing as buying a gun provide ID then the system says up or down on whether you still have the right to vote or if you already voted. The govt restricting two different rights for the same prohibiting factors should need the same burden of proof to exercise them.

How 'bout "No"

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    It's already a crime to sell knowingly sell a firearm to a prohibited person.

No more compromises. Not one inch.

We've been compromising for the better part of the last half century and each time they change the goalpost for what they consider "reasonable".

Catch-This-22

Dec 29, 2012
    Waldorf, MD

The 2A has been widdled away for the last 80 years. If we keep compromising what will be left?

I understand and share your frustration. However, I don't feel having access to the NICS system for private sellers would be a bad ideal. It isn't giving up any ground and could further limit criminals access to guns.

It is disingenuous to say there is nothing that can/should be done to limit mass shootings and we should support and work toward solutions that will help...protecting hunters and sportsmen and limiting mags/ banning scary looking guns that are only designed to kill lots of people completely miss the mark and ignore the intentions of the 2A.

Mitch Connor

Jul 10, 2011
    MoCo

Rights and freedoms are not granted. You are born free the government merely subtracts from you god given rights. In this country certain acts committed by a citizen results in the restrictions of your rights. If you want to debate that ok.

But all hate because I used the "C" word is as juvenile as the other side acts. Enforce the laws whether they are for voting, guns, immigration, whatever. If you do not agree with the law then election officials to change them.

Hotrod Diesel

Here for the Beer...
    Mar 7, 2012
    Parkville
    I have a compromise for you. All gun sales have to be accompanied with a nics check, the parties go online, enter their info, and print a bill of sale. No database is made, both parties keep a copy of proof. In exchange, suppressors are no longer nfa. Nics and then cash and carry... this is a compromise, both sides walk away with something...

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I understand and share your frustration. However, I don't feel having access to the NICS system for private sellers would be a bad ideal. It isn't giving up any ground and could further limit criminals access to guns.

It is disingenuous to say there is nothing that can/should be done to limit mass shootings and we should support and work toward solutions that will help...protecting hunters and sportsmen and limiting mags/ banning scary looking guns that are only designed to kill lots of people completely miss the mark and ignore the intentions of the 2A.

If the system would be made available voluntarily to help people selling privately owned firearms; that's great, I'm all for it! I would even use it.

The coerced government intrusion into a private transaction, is just another infringement.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

Where is the evidence that FTF sales are a contributing factor to crime where the seller is selling in good faith to someone that they believe to not be a criminal?

The black market does not observe either the "good faith" standard or does it observe the mandate for background checks.

Imagine the circumstance where a child inherits his father's substantial gun collection and is mandated to go through background checks, and hence presumably pay transfer fees on each.

Again. No compromises. It's time to get this decided for better for worse.

ricanmd

Dec 23, 2012
    Westminster MD
    Done Compromising

The republicans should offer a compromise bill. Stipulate to universal background checks. Create an online NICS database. You would access it by entering your info(SSN ,name) and the other parties info. It would then respond up or down with number. No records of types or number of firearms could be kept . (while I know this is hard to believe possible but we rely that it is true with the currents nics system through an FFL) Now for the rest. The check they run is to find out whether your are felon or have other disqualifying attributes. It should check whether you are alive or dead. This could also be used at the polls. I would assume most firearm disqualifications (like convicted felon, terrorist, or you are dead) also removes your right to vote. When you got to the polls you do the same thing as buying a gun provide ID then the system says up or down on whether you still have the right to vote or if you already voted. The govt restricting two different rights for the same prohibiting factors should need the same burden of proof to exercise them.

Falls into the gun grabbers agenda. We keep compromising and they keep coming back for more. They make make compromises based on lies and we keep giving in. I am done compromising.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    :thumbsup:
    I have a compromise for you. All gun sales have to be accompanied with a nics check, the parties go online, enter their info, and print a bill of sale. No database is made, both parties keep a copy of proof. In exchange, suppressors are no longer nfa. Nics and then cash and carry... this is a compromise, both sides walk away with something...

That would be a compromise!

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    If the system would be made available voluntarily to help people selling privately owned firearms; that's great, I'm all for it! I would even use it.

The coerced government intrusion into a private transaction, is just another infringement.

THIS! Voluntary im ok with. More infringements im NOT. Mandatory im not. F-U Barrack Osama

Catch-This-22

Dec 29, 2012
    Waldorf, MD
    I agree with Mitch Connor. While he used the "Compromise" word there was no real compromise offered. People shot down the idea because of the word and not merits. He never mentioned forcing private citizens to use the NICS system...he merely stated that it should be made available to them and was specific to state that no paper trail would be left nor would the type of firearm be listed.

ocsnapper

Nov 17, 2012
    Pittsville
    Well the way I look at it we have already done enough compromising on the Second Amendment. I do not mind the NCIC check, there are people out there that should not have a gun. We all know this and most would not disagree.
    Now back to the compromise, we have already given up some of our freedom with having to get a NCIC check to get a gun. I would love to see a NCIC check institutionalized when it comes to voting as someone said pryer, it will stop the dead from voting, people voting twice, felons form voting and illegal from voting. This sound great, this would make election fair and honest. But I'm sorry to say it will not happen anytime soon, for this would remove many a politicians form office and they know it and will not let it happen. To turn the tide they will clam it violates the rights of some people to vote and if everyone can not vote how could this be fair.
    This should make you wounder why politicians protect criminals and those that have lost there rights to vote or the ones that never had the right to vote to start with.
    If the slow but relentless erosion of the second amendment is left unchecked there will be no one left to stand up for the protection of the rest of the US Constitution. And when that day comes the people will stand around and wounder how this could have happened.

The truth is right in front of us all and all you have to do is read the US Constitution and what the founding fathers had to say.

Just my 2 cents..

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    I know that if I decided to legally sell a gun F2F, I would love a way to know 100% that I am selling to a legal person.

Ya, it would also be a great tool for identity theives! There are ways that this might be able to be accomplished but you would need to be extremely cautious about how you wanted to implement such a system.

jpk1md

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2007
    I agree with Mitch Connor. While he used the "Compromise" word there was no real compromise offered. People shot down the idea because of the word and not merits. He never mentioned forcing private citizens to use the NICS system...he merely stated that it should be made available to them and was specific to state that no paper trail would be left nor would the type of firearm be listed.

I'm sorry, but you're wrong

Flat, dead wrong

http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/01/1...a-vp-bidens-remarks-on-gun-control-proposals/

Obama said:
    The law already requires licensed gun dealers to run background checks and over the last 14 years that has kept 1.5 million of the wrong people from getting their hands on a gun. But it’s hard to enforce that law when as many as 40% of all gun purchases are conducted without a background check

That’s not safe. That’s not smart. That’s not fair to responsible gun buyers or sellers. If you want to buy a gun whether it’s from a licensed dealer or a private seller, you should at least have to show you are not a felon or somebody legally prohibited from buying one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom