• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I saw on this gun tv show on outdoor tv, i forgot what it was called but they shot couple calibers at a book to see how effective books were or something, and i think 9mm went through more books than the 45, so that could mean if you shoot a fat man in the tummy, and you hit no bones, the 9 might go through him, where the 45 stops in his body somewhere???? I ll take a 45 any day, except if i have to pay for bullets at the range. I know its easier, FOR ME, to reload 45 than 9, or it makes me feel better, bc i feel i am saving more money...I say 45 because i am a fan of 1911's

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I saw on this gun tv show on outdoor tv, i forgot what it was called but they shot couple calibers at a book to see how effective books were or something, and i think 9mm went through more books than the 45, so that could mean if you shoot a fat man in the tummy, and you hit no bones, the 9 might go through him, where the 45 stops in his body somewhere???? I ll take a 45 any day, except if i have to pay for bullets at the range. I know its easier, FOR ME, to reload 45 than 9, or it makes me feel better, bc i feel i am saving more money...I say 45 because i am a fan of 1911's

hard penetration benefits from high sectional density, basically momentum vs frontal area, different than soft tissue penetration, especially with expanding bullts. 45 has a lot more momentum than 9mm, but also a lot more frontal area, pretty much the reason 38 Super and 357 mag came about, both will out penetrate 45 through barriers by a wide margin, modern 9+p does well too, but heavy 357, 40 and 10mm usually has a improvement over 9mm's momentum, but retains a high SD, so tends to out penetrate 9 and 45 through most barriers. Thing is in soft tissue with expanding ammo, some of the faster calibers like 357 can expand much larger from high energy, but lack the momentum to out penetrate the same bullet in a slower caliber, the reason 357 sig with 9mm bullets failed a lot of tests till ammo makers redesigned controlled expansion bullets to keep from over-expanding.

Personally for defensive loads I like mild and heavy 10mm, 180+gr 1100FPS or under, low pressure, usually good capacity, mild blast and recoil like a light 45 or heavy 9. Really easy to control and shoot fast especially considering the larger frame and grip, but a fair amount more power. Much more gentle than a 40 with similar ballistics, but outperforms most duty calibers at least on paper. Mild and heavy 40 or hot and heavy 9 comes close, but has to run a higher pressure from a shorter case, so they are a bit more rude, mild 45 can be great as long as you don't loose much capacity from it.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Different Rounds For Different Situations

I'm a .45 guy, but the problem for me with the .45 is low capacity.

For home defense, I use a XD45 Tactical with 13+1 of Hornady TAP.

For carry, I used to carry a M&P 9c with 12+1 of NYC Police Load, Gold Dot 9mm+P.

If I was going to be in a shoot out or had to defend my family, land, and myself, like the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, I would have my CZ SP-01 loaded with 19+1 of Gold Dot 9mm +P. I want the ability to carry more rounds.

I guess I've come over to the 9mm side. It's much easier to practice with cheaper 9mm, so I guess I've gotten better with it than .45acp.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Back to the OP....Lots of brothas walkin round wif 9 mils in they bodies. Not so many wif foty-fives.:innocent0:

thai

May 8, 2013
    Don't forget the .44 Magnum of the desert eagle. What was the capacity of the pistol? 8+1? That is 45 ounce of Israeli goodness! I need to get one to compliment my Tavor.

Feb 28, 2013
    Don't forget the .44 Magnum of the desert eagle. What was the capacity of the pistol? 8+1? That is 45 ounce of Israeli goodness! I need to get one to compliment my Tavor.

Gotta have a big pair of meathooks to handle one of those. They're BIG pistols. ;)

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie

One consideration about penetration is clothing as well. The big, wide mouth of a .45 HP swallows more fabric than a 9mm too. So this MAY have an effect on penetration and the wound cavity.
    Maybe carry a 9mm in the winter and .45 in the warmer months? :)

Unless you're trained for head shots then it doesn't matter ;)

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Gotta have a big pair of meathooks to handle one of those. They're BIG pistols. ;)
    Amen for the BIG MEATHOOKS REQUIRED TO HANDLE A Desert Eagle.

At the range it can be managed in a managed situation. In extremis, not so much unless ya got big old paws. That's why I had one but no longer do. Came and went quickly. Lovely bit of gear. Very well made. Physical inadequacy (size matters) apparently is an important law of physics.

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011

Don't have bear paws, but have no problems hanging onto the Desert Eagle - 50AE, 44 Mag or 357 variant.

Good thing is, even if you miss with every shot - the DE makes a good melee tool when empty. :thumbsup:

TheGunnyRet

Ultimate Member
    Mar 27, 2014
    Falling Waters, WV
    I figured have both and be done with it, there will always be a debate over which is best. A far as limp or girly hurt wrists then your not handling the pistol correctly. My wife fired my FNX-45, she's about buck 20 and the only thing she complained about it was louder than the 9mm. Anyone can shoot any pistol if you do it right. Though accuracy & quantity never fail.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    I have a derringer. One barrel is .45 and the other is 9mm.
    Problem solved :-)

Nah, there are only two reasons to carry 9mm over .45 ACP.

1. you have girly hands
    2. you want more rounds in the magazine because you don't want to spend time at the range

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Millebar

Latest threads

Top Bottom