• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    I brought my new lonewolf G9 carbine to the range for the first time. It shot well until after 30 some rounds, then I felt a jolt, jammed, and smoke came out from the mag well. On examining the chamber and the barrel, I found the round ruptured and some piece stuck in the barrel. And the round base was all cracked and tattered. Please see picture attached.

Any thought in what happened ? The 9mm I used is "Blazer Brass" brand 115 grain. I use this regularly with the glocks with no issues.

This incident unnerved me as I am not sure if the lonewolf is safe to use. Will that cause injury if this happen again, say the ruptured round stuck in the barrel and as I fire the next round that will be blocked and exploded inside the chamber.

Thanks

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Here is the picture of ruptured round

Attachments

• ruptured 9mm round inside G9 lonewolf.jpg
      ruptured 9mm round inside G9 lonewolf.jpg
      40.3 KB · Views: 585

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    so it went off out of battery? I can't think of any way the brass would look like that if it had been inside the chamber when the powder lit off.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    How would a contained round blow apart like that?

Hope you find out what happened there.

I have lots of Blazer brass 9mm and have fired a lot of it. Nothing remotely like that has happened.

Yikes.

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    it did not occur to me to check the entire barrel when it happened. I just looked through the barrel and saw the bullet itself lodged about 10" into the 16 " barrel. If I had tried to shoot after what happened, I may end up getting a real surprise (or injury). Apparently the round fired, shot the bullet down the barrel and stuck n the casing was shattered.

I called Lonewolf and they are pretty efficient to give me a RMA to return for refund. I just have to pay the shipping cost.

Quite disappointing, I was so look forward for a 9mm carbine to practice indoor. When I researched lonewolf, I never come across any such issues.

I would like to get another 9mm carbine, but not sure which one now. There are quite a few. And all, at least on paper, look pretty good.

https://jurmondsarsenal.wordpress.com/2014/10/22/glock-carbine-roundup/

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I suspect a round only partially chambered and it fired out of battery.

Time to ship it back. Even with the unlocked blowback bolt, the hammer should only fall if the bolt is in battery.
    No semi-auto AR has this protection (it requires an auto-sear.) You can drop the hammer at any time. A semi-auto AR15 firing pin will not reach the primer until the bolt is fully locked and in battery so an OOB should be impossible. A 9mm blowback bolt does not have that level of protection since nothing locks.

Edit: post a picture of the bottom of the bolt where the firing pin is. On some 9mm bolts, the ramped part comes back far enough to prevent the hammer from reaching the firing pin until the bolt is 'mostly' closed. Curious if the bolt they used is more open at the bottom.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I agree. Blowback PCC would under extreme circumstances get an OOB. Should not be real likely to happen 99% of the time and probably why they want it back to see it.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    No semi-auto AR has this protection (it requires an auto-sear.) You can drop the hammer at any time. A semi-auto AR15 firing pin will not reach the primer until the bolt is fully locked and in battery so an OOB should be impossible. A 9mm blowback bolt does not have that level of protection since nothing locks.

Correct. Bottom line, the firing pin should only get hit if the bolt is in battery.

Does the firing pin in the lonewolf upper use a firing pin spring ? The Colt bolt for some reason does. I assume that it is because the bolt is lacking the slow-down from the locking cam and just slams flat into the back of the barrel.

This round looks like it was pretty much un-contained. I wonder if the re is an issue with the firin pin binding in the channel and basically acting like the fixed pin on a grease-gun.

josh19

Dec 12, 2013
    Edit: post a picture of the bottom of the bolt where the firing pin is. On some 9mm bolts, the ramped part comes back far enough to prevent the hammer from reaching the firing pin until the bolt is 'mostly' closed. Curious if the bolt they used is more open at the bottom.

I already shipped back the items this afternoon to lonewolf. But I found in their web site the pics of the bolt
    http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=919476&TERM=g9

In a way, I am glad I return the carbine. That costed me $400 + $700 for both upper and lower. With the refund, I think I will get an AR15.

Well, all in all, I learned a few things from the incident. Thanks for all your sharing.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    It is easy to get one to fire out of battery. Bump fire it enough and it will happen. I figured that out the hard way.

I wouldn't be so quick to give up the 9mm carbine. Mine is a lone with wolf lower with a home built upper and is the most fun gun I have to shoot.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Looking at the casing I'd say it was not cambered when it went off. If it was the case wouldn't have had the room to open up like a flower. My best guess is that it short cycled so the hammer was never locked into the secondary sear and the hammer rode the bolt and firing pin as it stripped the round out of the magazine and fired the round before being chambered. Is there a sqib or stuck round in the barrel?

Tihsho

Secret Asian Man
    Aug 23, 2011
    Frederick & HoCo, MD
    Is there anything to look for in the setup prior to letting the first round rip? With my 9mm carbine setup 'complete' in my eyes for it's first shot, I want to be able to double check anything prior to loading it up with its first round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom