• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • webb297

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2010
    Bowie
    Maybe they will teach you whom to call for answers in your 5th year of school...

You mentioned that there was a lot of misinformation in this thread, please point out the posting you think is not correct (other than the fact the AKs only have receivers, not lower receivers)?

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    One is the repeated use of the term "manufacture" vs machine or build.

Manufacture is a term that implies a business venture vs machining or building your own for personal use in compliance with GCA '68

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    That's not a "lower". It's a receiver.

Seems to me yet another internet ninja has decided ak's are just like ar's and the parts are interchangeable.

No.

AKs do not have "lowers". That implies there is an "upper" to accompany. Care to show a photo of an AK "upper"?

They might as well be the same. Everyone can't wait to bolt on AR stocks, magpul, rails, shitty railed top covers so they have a 'flat top upper'

deerhtr

Nov 22, 2011
    eastern shore
    ummm manufacture means just that you made it. because if you make something you shouldnt gca of 68 says you manufactured itand atf slaps your you know what

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    um... no it doesn't...

ummm manufacture means just that you made it. because if you make something you shouldnt gca of 68 says you manufactured itand atf slaps your you know what

Guys. Page 5 near the end.

http://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

9. May I lawfully make a firearm for my own personal use, provided it is not being made for
    resale?
    Firearms may be lawfully made by persons who do not hold a manufacturer’s license under the GCA
    provided they are not for sale or distribution and the maker is not prohibited from receiving or
    possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semiautomatic
    rifle or shotgun from 10 or more imported parts, as set forth in regulations in 27 C.F.R. 478.39. In
    addition, the making of an NFA firearm requires a tax payment and advance approval by ATF. An
    application to make a machinegun will not be approved unless documentation is submitted showing
    that the firearm is being made for the official use of a Federal, State, or local government agency (18 U.S.C.
    § 922(o),(r); 26 U.S.C. § 5822; 27 C.F.R. §§ 478.39, 479.62, and 479.105).

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Sorry to raise such stink. Sorry to have used the wrong terms with regards to ARs and AKs. Was only looking for general terms and not trying to be gun specific.

Thanks for all the answers. But, like I said in OP was just wondering why folks were talking of buying Poly AR lowers post OCT 1 and doing builds. how were they able to do so. Guess if they build HBARs or Pistols they would be legal.

Anyway, thanks again,

Dave

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    This is a gray area. In the unlikely event that it was discovered that you finished an 80% lower after 10/1/13, it could result in an expensive legal battle. If it is OK to finish an 80% lower after 10/1/13 for the purpose of building an HBAR, why can't you go to the local gun shop and buy a stripped lower?

tttongli

Oct 3, 2008
    HOWARD
    Sorry to raise such stink. Sorry to have used the wrong terms with regards to ARs and AKs. Was only looking for general terms and not trying to be gun specific.

Thanks for all the answers. But, like I said in OP was just wondering why folks were talking of buying Poly AR lowers post OCT 1 and doing builds. how were they able to do so. Guess if they build HBARs or Pistols they would be legal.

Anyway, thanks again,

Dave

MD is not the whole world.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I'm not sure I am on board with finishing an 80% AR receiver post 10/1 and saying you're building a pistol or an HBAR. If it were that easy, it seems like you could buy a virgin lower and fill out the 4473 paperwork on it as "handgun" or "other" or whatever and be good to go. At the very least it seems like a gray area.

mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    I'm not sure I am on board with finishing an 80% AR receiver post 10/1 and saying you're building a pistol or an HBAR. If it were that easy, it seems like you could buy a virgin lower and fill out the 4473 paperwork on it as "handgun" or "other" or whatever and be good to go. At the very least it seems like a gray area.

I agree with you I was going to attempt to sell my 80% lowers as H-Bar 80%'s and I changed the drilling depth dimension for the pocket from 1.249" to 1.251" to show a difference. Due to the fact we can't get stripped/virgin lowers this approach would likely not fly.

On the other hand being able to tell when the lower was drilled is almost impossible but I would hate to get caught.

I agree with you I was going to attempt to sell my 80% lowers as H-Bar 80%'s and I changed the drilling depth dimension for the pocket from 1.249" to 1.251" to show a difference. Due to the fact we can't get stripped/virgin lowers this approach would likely not fly.

On the other hand being able to tell when the lower was drilled is almost impossible but I would hate to get caught.

In another thread, I repeatedly mentioned this referencing the Polymer 80 lowers. They didn't ship the first one until after 10/1. Because of this, there is no way to defend yourself in MD if prosecuted. The burden of proof will be satisfied for the state. Other 80% lowers could have been, may have been or were completed prior to 10/1. Prosecutors would have a tough time proving a completion date but the accused would be out a lot in attorney's fees nonetheless.

mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    In another thread, I repeatedly mentioned this referencing the Polymer 80 lowers. They didn't ship the first one until after 10/1. Because of this, there is no way to defend yourself in MD if prosecuted. The burden of proof will be satisfied for the state. Other 80% lowers could have been, may have been or were completed prior to 10/1. Prosecutors would have a tough time proving a completion date but the accused would be out a lot in attorney's fees nonetheless.

very true... Also a credit card purchase over the internet after 10/1 would really be hard to fight.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    WAIT, I have three 80% lowers I finished before 10/1

was I supposed to fill out some kind of paperwork? Am I screwed now?!

Nope, you are fineby the letter of the law. It doesn't mean the State couldn't try something, but the burden of proof would be on them to prove you finished them after 10/1/13.

spfrazierjr

Mar 1, 2013
    very true... Also a credit card purchase over the internet after 10/1 would really be hard to fight.

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't you put an upper on the lowers you sell prior to machining? I believe that the ones you sell are the same ones I bought prior to 10/1 (yes they were finished before the date). If you put an hbar upper on before machining, then this seems like the best way to do it after 10/1 since the firearm would be an hbar (although I would not recommend it, it may be possible). IANAL, this is just MY OPINION.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom