• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Correct me if I am wrong, but can't you put an upper on the lowers you sell prior to machining? I believe that the ones you sell are the same ones I bought prior to 10/1 (yes they were finished before the date). If you put an hbar upper on before machining, then this seems like the best way to do it after 10/1 since the firearm would be an hbar (although I would not recommend it, it may be possible). IANAL, this is just MY OPINION.

Yes that would be legal using the same definition the MSP is using to say stripped lowers are banned. Should apply to making an AR pistol too.

I have yet to see anything from MSP stating what constitutes an HBAR but it would seem that anything that uses a .750 or larger gas block and is noticeably larger than the 5/8" nominal size barrels would qualify as HBAR.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    I agree with Daemon. I just looked over SB281 and could not find where it says you are not allowed to purchase an AK flat post 10/1 and build it. Am I missing something here? If so, can you tell me where to find the verbiage in SB281?

Thanks in advance!

It is not illegal to build the AK. It is only illegal to possess the AK in Maryland if you did not possess it prior to October 1, 2013. So, the nano-second that you finish building it in Maryland, you have now broken the law because you are in possession of a banned rifle that you did not possess prior to October 1, 2013.

Regarding the AR, there is some grey area because a person could build an AR pistol or an AR-HBAR. I'm not very familiar with the AK platform, but I know there is no exception in the law for an AK-HBAR, if such an animal even exists. Can a person build an AK pistol? A google search shows that such an animal does exist, so there might be some grey area there too. Question is, who wants to be the test case?

TerminatorSVT

Aug 26, 2012
    Behind Enemy Lines
    It is not illegal to build the AK. It is only illegal to possess the AK in Maryland if you did not possess it prior to October 1, 2013. So, the nano-second that you finish building it in Maryland, you have now broken the law because you are in possession of a banned rifle that you did not possess prior to October 1, 2013.

Regarding the AR, there is some grey area because a person could build an AR pistol or an AR-HBAR. I'm not very familiar with the AK platform, but I know there is no exception in the law for an AK-HBAR, if such an animal even exists. Can a person build an AK pistol? A google search shows that such an animal does exist, so there might be some grey area there too. Question is, who wants to be the test case?

Hypothetically speaking, if you were to purchase an AK flat after 10/1 in cash and build it, how could they prove you possessed it after 10/1? The burden of proof would be on them and they would have nothing. Again, this is all hypothetical.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Hypothetically speaking, if you were to purchase an AK flat after 10/1 in cash and build it, how could they prove you possessed it after 10/1? The burden of proof would be on them and they would have nothing. Again, this is all hypothetical.

So, is the question whether it is legal or whether the state could actually prove something. Who was to know that the NBA player in New York had an unregistered gun until his wife turned him in. Do you live with anybody that will know you are breaking the law? Thing is, this is a chatboard that people end up finding in google searches etc. Giving people advice like "How will law enforcement ever know?" will probably end up getting somebody in trouble.

Now worries though. The prisons are full of people that thought they were so smart they would never get caught.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine

Obviously this is correct, but I'm not certain that this would console me as I'm getting butt raped in prison after some a-hole turns me in. I'd rather just move to a free state.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    And such a person would prolly already need to have a spot welder, bending dies and heat treating kiln already unless they're paying cash for all this stuff too. Just something else to think about.

TerminatorSVT

Aug 26, 2012
    Behind Enemy Lines
    So, is the question whether it is legal or whether the state could actually prove something. Who was to know that the NBA player in New York had an unregistered gun until his wife turned him in. Do you live with anybody that will know you are breaking the law? Thing is, this is a chatboard that people end up finding in google searches etc. Giving people advice like "How will law enforcement ever know?" will probably end up getting somebody in trouble.

Now worries though. The prisons are full of people that thought they were so smart they would never get caught.

The last statement is very true. I guess the question is could they prove it? Again, this is all hypothetical.

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    Sorry guys, but I really dont know why you are still talking about this.

It just seems like your giving the opposition more detail the next time your reps get some hair up thier asses.

There is no way they could know if you have/had a AK flat or a 80% lower that you paid cash or traded for before, the day of, or after 10/01.

That being said, I would not go trotting out a non marked AR/AK in MD even though its legal.

I think the intent of these asswipes is to bankrupt people into submission.

Quit talking about it already.

You cant finish a AK flat or AR15 lower after 10/01.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Digging up an old thread... but direct from MSP.

You CAN build a lower... providing it's into HBAR, SBR or PISTOL.

May I build my lower receiver purchased after 10/1/2013 into an assault long gun?
    ​​No, a lower receiver of a banned assault long gun purchased after 10/1/2013 may be built—provided there is compliance with federal and other state laws—only into a handgun, a short barreled rifle that has an overall length of 29 inches or greater, or if the lower receiver is an AR15 platform, into a heavy barrel model.

LS3Stig

Hey Jack
    Apr 13, 2016
    Silver Spring

May I build my lower receiver purchased after 10/1/2013 into an assault long gun?

​​No, a lower receiver of a banned assault long gun purchased after 10/1/2013 may be built—provided there is compliance with federal and other state laws—only into a handgun, a short barreled rifle that has an overall length of 29 inches or greater, or if the lower receiver is an AR15 platform, into a heavy barrel model.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Who sells a 80% Lower Receiver AR-15 Aluminum that is the easiest for a novice to complete? Some 80%s seem to have more drilled out than others. Want to do the least amount of routing possible. So far, I have not bought a router yet.
    Thanks.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Who sells a 80% Lower Receiver AR-15 Aluminum that is the easiest for a novice to complete? Some 80%s seem to have more drilled out than others. Want to do the least amount of routing possible. So far, I have not bought a router yet.
    Thanks.

Start with polymer and once you've made enough mistakes that you can be patient with your milling, move on to aluminum.

The Polymer80 Phoenix150 GenII's are pretty strong (strong enough that they even make an AR-10 version that holds up well) and they come with the jig and all the tooling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    KD96

Latest threads

Top Bottom