• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    I have several sources, one local for hard coat MIL-A-8625 Type III. Google-fu and search have not given a solid answer and neither did ATF.

Is it legal for an FFL 01 or 07 to anodize a lower after machining? Are markings like if manufactured for sale required for said FFL to do this (strictly for personal use, not for sale)?

Note please do not opine on what company procedures may be, what does the law say.

TIA

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    If kept overnight, I believe they'd need a serial number so it can be logged into their A&D book and out again when you pick it up.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    If kept overnight, I believe they'd need a serial number so it can be logged into their A&D book and out again when you pick it up.

I have trouble with this because there are a lot of pre-GCA non-serialized guns out there that stay overnight to be serviced by gunsmiths. IIRC, there is a proper way for them to log these in and out.

FFL's chime in please.

sundaeman

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    I'm not an expert, but the last time I looked into it, Federally a FFL gunsmith/manufacturer can anodize whatever fits within their paperwork. If you send a machined lower, they should be able to return it to you after the work is done (like sending a firearm out for repair). No marking legally required, but anodizers may have their own opinions.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    So following on to this question, what's a good local source for lower type 3 anodizing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom