• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MudRhino

Jul 8, 2011
    I did a search but couldn't find anything specific to .308 80% lowers. I'm hoping you guys could clear a few things up for me.

I've read that SB281 prohibits 80% AR15 or AK builds as these count as manufacturing banned 'assault weapons', or some nonsense to that effect. But what about .308 80% lowers? Are the 308's still GTG? If yes, is there any new legal ambiguity in completing an 80% 308 (read: would I need to be particularly worried about being made a legal example)?

Also on a related note (did a search but couldn't find an answer), I ordered a DPMS .308 16" upper with A2 flash hider on backorder almost a year ago now and it was only delivered relatively recently. Say I purchase a DPMS lower tomorrow, are there any legal issues I need to be concerned with here in MD for building a rifle with this upper? Is the combination of the flash hider and 16" barrel length a potential problems?

Thanks in advance for help that anyone can provide, I'm pretty confused with all these new laws - many just seem so damn arbitrary that I don't know what's what anymore.

abean4187

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2013
    I did a search but couldn't find anything specific to .308 80% lowers. I'm hoping you guys could clear a few things up for me.

I've read that SB281 prohibits 80% AR15 or AK builds as these count as manufacturing banned 'assault weapons', or some nonsense to that effect. But what about .308 80% lowers? Are the 308's still GTG? If yes, is there any new legal ambiguity in completing an 80% 308 (read: would I need to be particularly worried about being made a legal example)?

Also on a related note (did a search but couldn't find an answer), I ordered a DPMS .308 16" upper with A2 flash hider on backorder almost a year ago now and it was only delivered relatively recently. Say I purchase a DPMS lower tomorrow, are there any legal issues I need to be concerned with here in MD for building a rifle with this upper? Is the combination of the flash hider and 16" barrel length a potential problems?

Thanks in advance for help that anyone can provide, I'm pretty confused with all these new laws - many just seem so damn arbitrary that I don't know what's what anymore.

AR-10s are still legal in MD. And last time I checked there is no ban on 16" barrels but don't quote me on that one.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    You can just buy a "DPMS lower". Purchase of a stripped lower for an AR15 is outlawed. That is unless of course you mean a DPMS AR10 lower which is legal to purchase

MudRhino

Jul 8, 2011
    You can just buy a "DPMS lower". Purchase of a stripped lower for an AR15 is outlawed. That is unless of course you mean a DPMS AR10 lower which is legal to purchase

Yes, I mean a LR308(AR10) DPMS lower for the DPMS 308 upper. I understand that buying a stripped 223/556 lower is banned.

Thank you both, glad I seem to be on the right track.

sonicnofadz

Jul 24, 2012
    Perry Hall, MD
    I've attempted to buy AR-10/LR308 lowers post SB281 and have been unsuccessful. NICS check is not approved. 80% probably is legal. Maybe. I was ABLE to purchase an entire LR-308 rifle (fully assembled), the NICS check went through successfully.

MudRhino

Jul 8, 2011
    I've attempted to buy AR-10/LR308 lowers post SB281 and have been unsuccessful. NICS check is not approved. 80% probably is legal. Maybe. I was ABLE to purchase an entire LR-308 rifle (fully assembled), the NICS check went through successfully.

What a complete cluster....

I've decided NOT to go the 80% route. While I can't find anything indicating it is actually illegal, there is just way too much ambiguity out there. Especially with the current political climate in this state, I just don't think it's worth the potential hassle/liability.

I spoke with an IP that was confidant that purchasing a LR308 lower was perfectly fine although they did not stock any nor were they able to order me one. I'm going to dig a little more before placing an order via brownells or ctd.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

I don't think they are any different from each other from the standpoint of a NICS check.

Are you sure it was a NICS check that was not approved?

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD

the only info given to nics is "rifle, handgun, or other", not ar10 lower or complete rifle.

your story makes no sense. please provide specific details.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    the only info given to nics is "rifle, handgun, or other", not ar10 lower or complete rifle.

your story makes no sense. please provide specific details.

That's what I was getting at. They would have no idea what you were specifically getting.

aireyc

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    As far as the new laws are concerned, the barrel length is no more relevant today than it was five years ago. It has to be 16+ inches per NFA laws, unless you're building a pistol or SBR. The only things you should be concerned with are overall length, which has to be 29+ inches from tip of barrel (minus flash hider) to end of the extended stock, and the features test, which says you can have no more than one of the following: flash hider, FOLDING (not telescoping/extending) stock, and a grenade launcher (lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom