• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    At some point in time economics and ammo availability may reduce us to rolling our own 7.62x54r to feed our Mosins.

We're not there yet.

In the meantime, don't forget the lesson of the "Ant & Grasshopper" Aesop fable.

Mosins like cast boolits almost as much as factory rounds...

Just sayin'...

:innocent0

With less than .25 cents a round, would it be worth it to reload your own? I rather just buy them. Just need to clean the gun every time you shoot, you should clean your after you shoot anyway.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    With less than .25 cents a round, would it be worth it to reload your own? I rather just buy them. Just need to clean the gun every time you shoot, you should clean your after you shoot anyway.

Apparently you've not read Aesop's "Ant & Grasshopper" fable:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ant_and_the_Grasshopper

I did not suggest reloading your own Mosin ammo is economical at this time. However, having the ways and means to continue to feed Mosins when times are lean plus having "food on hand" isn't a bad strategy. ;)

BTW, the CB rounds in my pic actually cost less than 20 cents each to build and shoot. :innocent0

What mold did you use for those??

Those boolits came from a Lee 155/312 mold. Add a GC and pan lube and they're pretty cheap and simple to make. They can't be loaded as hot as factory rounds, but they shoot great for me.

:thumbsup:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/75...2-ogive-radius-gas-check?cm_vc=ProductFinding

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Apparently you've not read Aesop's "Ant & Grasshopper" fable:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ant_and_the_Grasshopper

I did not suggest reloading your own Mosin ammo is economical at this time. However, having the ways and means to continue to feed Mosins when times are lean plus having "food on hand" isn't a bad strategy. ;)

BTW, the CB rounds in my pic actually cost less than 20 cents each to build and shoot. :innocent0

Those boolits came from a Lee 155/312 mold. Add a GC and pan lube and they're pretty cheap and simple to make. They can't be loaded as hot as factory rounds, but they shoot great for me.

:thumbsup:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/75...2-ogive-radius-gas-check?cm_vc=ProductFinding

yup, that my mosin m44 needs food, and once she is fed, she throws fireballs, I like.......but you have to spend time to reload them...I guess that comes down whether you're enjoying doing it or not......

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    yup, that my mosin m44 needs food, and once she is fed, she throws fireballs, I like.......but you have to spend time to reload them...I guess that comes down whether you're enjoying doing it or not......

So it's cheap M44 fireballs you want? No prob:

All you need is FMJ bullets, reloading experience and (yes) time. The fun part about reloading is that it's like an extension of range time. Especially when knowing what you build will be going back to the range with you to do it again soon.

:)

Attachments

• DSC02399.jpg
      DSC02399.jpg
      57.4 KB · Views: 153

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    you should clean your after you shoot anyway.

Nope, only exception is shooting corrosive ammo.

I clean my rifles when the accuracy falls off.

Over cleaning and ruined more firearms that not cleaning has. Cleaning put wear and tear on the parts, especially the bore at the throat and crown.

I wipe down the exterior surfaces with a oily rag or Birchwood Casey Sheath (now Barricade) to deal with acid in finger prints. But internally, not until it is NEEDED.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Thanks, added to my wish list.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    So it's cheap M44 fireballs you want? No prob:

All you need is FMJ bullets, reloading experience and (yes) time. The fun part about reloading is that it's like an extension of range time. Especially when knowing what you build will be going back to the range with you to do it again soon.

:)

reloading = stress relieve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Comotion357

Latest threads

Top Bottom