• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    Yesterday I was shooting my 7.62x39 AR and with different brass cased ammo it was doing fine at first. After I ran out of the good ammo I started shooting wolf hollow point ammo, and it was keyholing the targets at 50yds. I've shot many different kinds of ammo including Wolf FMJ and never had this problem. I've heard that bullets can do this at longer ranges if they are not well stabilized, but this was at 50 yds. Would this be a defect in the bullet? What would make it so unstable?

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    JK could you post what kind of upper? No hijack and I want to knwo more about the resolution to your situation, but I am considering a 7.62*39 AR and it is good to conceptualize the situation in your context.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    It is made by Olympic Arms, and has a 16" steel barrel. I've fired thousands of rounds of all different types through it, and have never had a problem like this before.

leroygibbs

Ultimate Member
    Jan 2, 2008
    What was the good stuff you were using? US 7.62x 39, or Euro? Was it only keyholing with the Wolf Hollow Points? Or did it do it with ball as well? Keep in mind, HP is no way as aerodynamic,or efficient as a solid projectile. Sometimes, HP will de-stabilize, but it depends much on your barrel twist and the weight of the round, although, I have never had good luck with HP in 7.62x39 in AK style rifles.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    It is made by Olympic Arms, and has a 16" steel barrel. I've fired thousands of rounds of all different types through it, and have never had a problem like this before.

"Olympic" might be the reason. The Barrel could be worn out or the crown could be damaged.

Bullet weight in relation to barrel twist may be another. The ammo might just be badly made too. If the jacket isnt concentric to the core it will tumble.

Is the Gas Port heavily burred?

Headspace ok?

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008
    What was the good stuff you were using? US 7.62x 39, or Euro? Was it only keyholing with the Wolf Hollow Points? Or did it do it with ball as well? Keep in mind, HP is no way as aerodynamic,or efficient as a solid projectile. Sometimes, HP will de-stabilize, but it depends much on your barrel twist and the weight of the round, although, I have never had good luck with HP in 7.62x39 in AK style rifles.

It only was keyholing right when I started using the Wolf ammo. The other kinds were Sellier and Bellot, and a new kind called MFS. Both of those were very accurate. I have used Silver Bear HPs in the past without any problems, but maybe the Wolf HPs are different.

Try giving a really good cleaning, look for fowling in the barrel.QUOTE]

"Olympic" might be the reason. The Barrel could be worn out or the crown could be damaged.

Bullet weight in relation to barrel twist may be another. The ammo might just be badly made too. If the jacket isnt concentric to the core it will tumble.

Is the Gas Port heavily burred?

Headspace ok?

It was very clean, and when I got home, I inspected it and there was nothing that looked unusual. Since it works great with all the other ammo I've used, I don't expect it would be something wrong with the rifle, but I did stop shooting it once I realized what was happening.

Would non-concentric jackets cause bullets to tumble that badly at only 50yds, or could it be that there are other problems with the bullets too?

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    [QUOTEWould non-concentric jackets cause bullets to tumble that badly at only 50yds, or could it be that there are other problems with the bullets too?[/QUOTE]

depends on how asymmetrical the rounds are, but it's possible. that would be a bad batch of ammo, though (which is what it sounds like to me...) though others with more ballistics experience may have sounder hypotheses...

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    They were definitely your holes?

I've been to the range before and had holes in my target covered in another lanes ricochets.

Inigoes has a good AR in x39. Pretty accurate and no keyholing. I think he was using Wolf HP last time I saw him use it.

Matt correct me if I'm wrong about that.:shrug:

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA

I've been to the range before and had holes in my target covered in another lanes ricochets.

Inigoes has a good AR in x39. Pretty accurate and no keyholing. I think he was using Wolf HP last time I saw him use it.

You are correct. I'm trying to shoot off the last of the wolf JHP crap that I got.

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    i have seen that issue also.
    i believe wolf is using .308 vs .311 dia bullets. pull a bullet and mic it.

JKrew

Jul 2, 2008

Yeah they were definately mine. I was shooting very accurately before using the Wolf HPs, so it had to be mine. My friend also had the same problem on his target, and that's when I realized it was keyholing.

I'll try to take a bullet out and compare it with a bullet that has worked fine for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Charles of the Manor

Latest threads

Top Bottom