• ...and so much more!
  • pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Is something like this suitable?
    medical-kits-trauma-pack-quikclot
    51GOdpWDkQL.jpg

This thread is freaking me out a little...

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    WOW, can't think of much else to say.

If this is a common problem for that firearm I guess a little research would have been prudent. I try not to buy anything that I don't do a little homework on first, unless it's super cool, in which case I buy it first and hope I just didn't waste my money. :D

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    I tend to be a big wuss with a new weapon. Every gun I've ever used for the first time that was new, new to me or inherited has had the first round fired with me standing to the side of the weapon on a bench. Same way I disconnect car battery terminals. If it doesn't blow after the first round then I'll tuck in and go shooting. I've never seen a catastrophic failure in real life but I have seen 5.56 rounds cook off on the ground and know the kind of power we deal with when we contain it in a chamber. Try driving a 16 penny nail all the way through a small tree and then compare the force you applied to how your gun makes the same hole.

My biggest fear is rapid fire on an AR with hand loads, getting a round stuck in the tube and sending a live round into it.

Never heard of Vulcan till this thread. Can't believe they haven't been sued into the poor house.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Shoot enough and a firearm WILL blow up on you. Its happens. This is why its best to have a GOOD GSW Kit and some training on how to use the contents.

Mix in Reloading and Unsafe Gunsmithing and the odds increase exponentially of this kind of thing happening.

The difference in the outcome is determined in the quality of the gun. Quality firearms will self destruct in a manner that diminishes damage to the shooter.

If you shoot a quality firearm with factory ammunition and are harmed then you have recourse against the manufacturer. Usually you sign liability waivers at ranges so the Range is usually immune from any damages.

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    How common is something like that happening? That freaked me out. Have always wanted a .50 but I am definitely going to save my pennies and go quality. Newton's 3rd law still in play when it comes to bolts.

I don't know what the Vulcan gun is like, but I have a Viper single shot .50 BMG rifle from Blue Grass Armory. It's built like a tank and the bolt is quite substantial, so I've never had any worries. They now have a magazine fed version that is really nice.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    Shoot enough and a firearm WILL blow up on you. Its happens. This is why its best to have a GOOD GSW Kit and some training on how to use the contents.

Mix in Reloading and Unsafe Gunsmithing and the odds increase exponentially of this kind of thing happening.

The difference in the outcome is determined in the quality of the gun. Quality firearms will self destruct in a manner that diminishes damage to the shooter.

If you shoot a quality firearm with factory ammunition and are harmed then you have recourse against the manufacturer. Usually you sign liability waivers at ranges so the Range is usually immune from any damages.

Hey, do you know of any training sources available per your comment?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Is something like this suitable?
    medical-kits-trauma-pack-quikclot
    51GOdpWDkQL.jpg

This thread is freaking me out a little...

That's GOOD to have for bleeding that wont stop but packing the wound and direct pressure is still the preferred method to stop bleeding. Having Hemostats and a Tourney and knowing how to use them can save if you have some kind of arterial bleeding.

Most of this comes down to training. Take a class and they will teach you what you need and how to use it.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    My biggest fear is rapid fire on an AR with hand loads, getting a round stuck in the tube and sending a live round into it.

As a fellow reloader, this is my worst fear. You have no idea how much this idea scares me and I am ANAL RETENTIVE about my process when I reload.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Hey, do you know of any training sources available per your comment?

I believe CCJA offers medical classes. So does Suarez.

Our very own "Gasman" is a trainer for Suarez medics courses if memory serves me right. Shoot him a P.M.

I believe Oly-medic was considering training as well, but ask him before taking my word for it.

ShallNotInfringe

Lil Firecracker
    Feb 17, 2013
    I believe CCJA offers medical classes. So does Suarez.

Our very own "Gasman" is a trainer for Suarez medics courses if memory serves me right. Shoot him a P.M.

I believe Oly-medic was considering training as well, but ask him before taking my word for it.

Thanks!

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Between seeing that video, and the other videos online of folks getting hit with ricochets, my weekly gun money is going into one of those kits. Holy shitballs.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    My wife is an occupational therapist who specializes in hand work. She has described some of the damage she's seen from malfunctions. It's definitely a life changing occurrence.

I think this link is a different malfunction on a Vulcan. Lost 3 fingers on this one.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/06/10/vulcan-v50-50-bmg-kaboom/

Clandestine: from your experience with AR's, what are the kinds of damage one could expect from pushing a live round into a stopped barrel in a quality (non piston) rifle? I feel like I'm not at the top of the quality scale with mine but definitely not at the bottom.

R357

Jun 23, 2009
    Upper Marlboro
    FYI, this is why EVERYONE should have a BOK/GSW Kit in their Range Bag, Home, AND in their vehicle if they CCW.

Couldn't agree more, that's why mine is attached to the side of my range bag every time I go shooting and on my hip when hiking regardless if I am armed or not.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    My wife is an occupational therapist who specializes in hand work. She has described some of the damage she's seen from malfunctions. It's definitely a life changing occurrence.

I think this link is a different malfunction on a Vulcan. Lost 3 fingers on this one.
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/06/10/vulcan-v50-50-bmg-kaboom/

Clandestine: from your experience with AR's, what are the kinds of damage one could expect from pushing a live round into a stopped barrel in a quality (non piston) rifle? I feel like I'm not at the top of the quality scale with mine but definitely not at the bottom.

It could always go bad, but in most cases if you are shooting with gloves, eye pro, and ear pro the worst you will get is some powder burns on your arms and face and a few small pieces of shrapnel that can be pulled with tweezers.

Always seek medical attention to be checked out as you may end up with an infection for something imbedded in your skin or a burn.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    That's GOOD to have for bleeding that wont stop but packing the wound and direct pressure is still the preferred method to stop bleeding. Having Hemostats and a Tourney and knowing how to use them can save if you have some kind of arterial bleeding.

Most of this comes down to training. Take a class and they will teach you what you need and how to use it.

+1million..

i would suggest a first aid class that involves truma.. doesnt make you a medic but at least you would know what to do in case of emergency.

i carry a first aid kit in my truck... lots of israelli bandages, hemostatics/quick-clot, chest seals and even decompression needle (among other things).

here's a starter pack..
    http://www.chinookmed.com/cgi-bin/item/01398

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Its a VULCAN Rifle. It was not the ammo, it was the gun.

If ANYONE here has one you probably should watch this video.

FYI, this is why EVERYONE should have a BOK/GSW Kit in their Range Bag, Home, AND in their vehicle if they CCW.

Is a BOK pretty much the same as a basic trauma kit such as a CAT, trauma pads, Z-pack packing gauze, Israeli pressure bandage, QuikClot Combat Gauze, pressure wraps, and rolled gauze, etc.?

I've only had basic first aid training, and read books on what to do while emergency help is in transit so someone doesn't bleed out before help arrives, but when I heard "get me a bunch of ****ing towels", the first thought that came to mind was that the wound was bad enough to possibly have to partly lightly pack and possibly in an area which a CAT would not be very useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom