• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I don’t understand why anyone would use a pistol for home defense, unless money were an issue.

Easier to maneuver in hallways , doors , etc

You might need other hand for something important - scoop up young kids , rescue your Kruegerands , give direct pressure to control bleeding . hold the collar of Fluffy the Rottweiler , until time to turn loose .

Every. Thing that goes bump , or unexpected knock on the door doesn't imeadately become a gunfight . A handgun can be discretely held more or less at the ready if or until ready .

A case can be made , that if you have only One firearm for home defense , a handgun is most versatile .

Arrgh ! I meant to quote Dr Hair , and then comment below , but I screwed up .

But I'm too lazy to erase & re. Type .

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    12 Gauge shotgun, pump
    30.30 Lever Action
    .22 rifle, semi auto or bolt action does not matter
    And a 9mm pistol
    And a 9mm carbine

And that means 4 different types of ammunition.

Sage954

Oct 8, 2019
    I’m not telling anyone what they need, but here’s my 5 if that’s the limit.
    M4
    G19 MOS
    AR pistol 300bo with suppressor
    22lr bolt action with suppressor
    30/06 bolt action

5 different ammo types, but all serve a different purpose.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    I don’t understand why anyone would use a pistol for home defense, unless money were an issue.

3 young children. My ARs are locked up in the basement. My G19 is in a pistol safe in my dresser, right next to the bed.

When kids are grown, a suppressed AR with motion activated red dot and a flashlight will be mounted by the bed.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Honest Outlaw's list wasn't bad. Him being from Iowa, I can understand no high power rifle for deer hunting being on his list.

He put two handguns on his list whereas I could make due with something like G19 size for both of his use.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    Given this topic more thought' and with caveat that I'm I'm coming from perspective of self-defense since I no longer hunt, my choices would/are:

1) Double stacked, striker-fired polymer 9mm handgun of choice; mine would be S&W M&P either 4.25" or 4" barrel.

2) AR-15 223/556 with lpvo or red dot with suppressor

3) I'm not big on shotguns but something like Benelli M4, Beretta 1301, or Mossberg 940 Pro tactical all in 12gauge. I'd probably pick the Mossberg 940 pro tactical because the safety is ambidextrous for me as southpaw and I believe the cheapest of the three listed.

I could live with this list as the right ammo selection the AR and shotgun could be pushed into hunting. The rest of the money for could be put to use on: more magazines, more ammo, more reloading supplies, more training, more prepper stuff, but since I'm allowed two more.

4) 22lr handgun w/ red dot and suppressor

5) 22lr rifle of your choice & preference w/ scope and suppressor.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Swinging the the barrel of your long gun into a door jam in the middle of the night while you try to stealthily see what made that noise.
    Easily overcome with training. Your rifle is an extension of you. Unless you routinely walk into door jambs, you can figure this out.
    3 young children. My ARs are locked up in the basement. My G19 is in a pistol safe in my dresser, right next to the bed.
    When kids are grown, a suppressed AR with motion activated red dot and a flashlight will be mounted by the bed.
    When my kids were little,I had an AR as my primary HD gun in my bedroom. There are rifle safes that work just fine. I had one of these in a closet, and put the key in it when I went to bed. Locked it back up in the morning. If I’m defending my family…no compromise does not mean an H&K.

Something similar:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I'll play this game from a more survivalist perspective:

1. A Ruger GP 100 6" barrel .357 Magnum. Will shoot .357 Mag or .38 special in any loading from snake shot to +P.
    2. A Ruger Old Army with Krist conversion cylinders in .45 ACP and .45 Colt. Will shoot .45 ACP, .45 Colt, or Cap and Ball Black powder. I would also add a Blue Mountain quick change base pin and a set of Mag-Spark 209 shotshell primer nipples for caplocks.
    3. A Savage model 24 in .22 LR over 12 gauge. That will take care of putting small game meat on the table.
    4. A M1 Garand. Proven battle rifle that will also take care of large and/or long range game.
    5. A Thompson Center Fire Storm Muzzleloading Rifle flintlock synthetic stock 26" barrel stainless steel. Something to shoot when all the other ammo runs out. With a percussion cap conversion kit. https://www.ebay.com/itm/174677838578?hash=item28ab9c4af2:g:HngAAOSwImRYjQry

If changing uppers and/or barrels is allowed I will give up the Ruger old Army and the Savage 24 in exchange for my Thompson Center Contender and Encore with the barrels I have.

Last edited:

Clay

Jul 22, 2021
    Tikka super lite 30-06
    Ruger 10/22 takedown
    Ar-15
    Glock 19
    Mossberg 50 field/deer combo

Benny

Feb 20, 2019
    22 LR rifle (bolt or semi)
    223/556 (semi)
    9mm handgun (semi)
    12 gauge shotgun (pump)
    308 (or other 30 caliber) rifle (bolt or semi)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Worsley

I apologize for hurting your feelings!
    Jan 5, 2022
    Westminster
    These are my 5:

Ruger American Ranch 7.62x39
    Colt LE-6920 / AR15
    Remington 870
    Ruger 10/22
    Glock 19X