• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    For me;
    1. Pistol- CZ75- It has been rock solid reliable, and I have a .22 Kadet kit for plinking and training the kids. Chews thru the absolute sh!ttiest ammo I could scrounge up.

2. Fighting rifle- My Colt M4 (AR15 6721). I have several different caliber uppers for it, plenty of mags, spare parts, and a decent optic. Light recoil, plenty of common use ammo.

3. Shotgun- Mossberg 500- I beefed mine up a little with a heavier 590A1 barrel and metal safety and trigger group. I can swap the 18" barrel with a 28" barrel should I need to hunt or shoot 5" alien saucers. I also have plenty of spare parts since the Mossberg is user serviceable and a very common gun. Mine has been very reliable, and is equipped with a light and laser.

4. .22lr- Smith and Wesson 15-22. I love them. Love them. A fantastic rifle for the money, easy to accessorize, take down, and clean. Mine have run absolute garbage .22lr ammo without choking. Lightweight, easy to suppress, eay to mount an optic on, lifetime warranty.

5. Extended range/hunting rifle- As much as I want to take my M39 I am sentimentally attached to, I'd probably take my Remington 700 in common .308 Winchester. Scoped, reasonably accurate, common so parts availability and gunsmith know how.
    This is a good list. I like the 15-22 as well. I love the CZ-75 but some folks might think of it as old school.

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    9MM handgun
    10/22 Charger pistol with brace or SBR
    12 gauge pump shotgun
    AR 15
    308 bolt rifle

X every member of the family=___ guns

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Benelli M4 - everything from slugs to buckshot to #9 birdshot for smaller meals.

AR with LPVO

Mid-sized super reliable 9mm pistol with some capacity. CZ75 compact? G19?

Quality 22 bolt rifle with a can. Cheap, sneaky if needed.

45-70 lever gun - can knock down man or moose

"I like the cut of your jib" - Brandon

Seriously,,, I could not have made a better pick.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    I was not stated if this was in current times with decent ammo availability,, or in a future time with limited ammo/parts availability.

My list is for a time when ammo/parts is limited, but not "unavailable" , but severely limited.
    Also, my list is for a person who did squirrel away some ammo, not crazy amounts,, but more than a box.

1) 9mm compact - CZ 75 compact, Glock, Beretta 92.
    2) 9mm PCC,, even better if it shares mags with the compact handgun.
    3) 12 or 20 ga shotgun - red dot: Birds, small game, deer (slugs), general homestead predator control,
    HD weapon.
    4) .22 riffle, suppressed
    5) Longer range rifle of heavy, common caliber - AR10, .308 bolt, or even 45-70 because of the ease of
    reloading.

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    As much as I love rifles, I shoot handguns a lot more. I'm also not a hunter (though since many are, I'll try to keep that in mind for my list)...

1. .22lr rifle or pistol for cheap training and fun. We should probably have both, but I'm keeping it to 5. I have a Marlin Model 60, but if I was doing it again I'd either go Ruger 10/22 (I used to have one as well) or a lever action (though I'd go cheaper than the video's Golden Boy suggestion). The rifle, or a large enough handgun, could be used for small game hunting if that's your thing.

2. An easily concealed handgun, J-frame snub (or similar), micro-9, small .380 for when you need something very small. Too many good choices for me to pick just one, and your personal size requirements and recoil sensitivity would have a lot to do with your choice. If I was going to do the 5 guns only, I'm leaning towards the SIG P365 I just bought (after 200 rounds, I'm reasonably accurate, the recoil isn't bad, it is pretty small, and still have 10 rounds). Once I start carrying everyday, if that ends up being a bit large for my smallest gun, I may switch it to my LCP with a Crimson Trace laser.

3. I'm not a huge shotgun fan, but I agree on the shotgun if you are keeping to 5. It is just so versatile. A Mossberg 500 with an 18" or 20" barrel is a great home defense gun. You can easily get additional barrels for bird hunting, deer hunting, skeet or trap if you want as well.

4. A medium framed revolver. I'm old/old fashioned I guess, but everyone should have one K or L frame S&W or equivalent from another manufacturer. My first choice is a 3" S&W K-frame (or if you want current production, the 686+), though nothing wrong with a Ruger GP100, Taurus 65 or 66, or a 4" K-frame or L-frame. In some states, you can handgun hunt deer with .357mag, in most you can with a .44mag (S&W and Taurus make .44mags in this size).

5. Compact service pistol. Tons of good options, Glock 19/23, CZ PCR/P01, M&P Compact M2.0, etc. These are nearly as easy to shoot as a full-sized service pistol and are good for home defense (especially paired with the shotgun), yet you can carry them without too many changes in how you dress. I love CZ, though I'm finally starting to see the draw of Glock (I just shot my first Glock for the first time yesterday*), and they have more aftermarket support than pretty much anything. Even though I don't have one, and I love my M&P and CZs so it does pain me, but I might go/suggest the Glock 19 here (or the 23 with a 9mm conversion barrel).

Honorable mention: 1911. For those who aren't revolver people, I'd replace my revolver suggestion with a 1911. I like them almost as much are revolvers. Otherwise, the only reason they aren't on my 5 list is that they aren't quite as versatile as the other options.

*Edit: I just re-read that (I just shot my first Glock for the first time...") and realized the way I worded it sounds like I shot a Glock for the first time. No, I shot my Glock (the first I've owned) for the first time yesterday (after the MD waiting period I picked up my Glock 22 on Friday). I have shot range rentals and other people's Glocks before.

Last edited:

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    There is no five best. The idea of debating this is futile and counter productive of the true need to expand gun collections beyond reason. To wake up in the morning and know you have enough on hand at anytime to arm your family reunion without the blink of an eye. Five? I laugh

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I think I can surmise from the posts , but what were the Five listed in the linked video ?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. Quality AR
    2. Glock 19/17
    3. Colt or S&W .357 Revolver
    4. Quality 1911
    5. Quality pump 12 gauge

The Glock , Revolver , and 1911 are all essentially redundant with each other .in fulfilling roles . Pick one , and open up two more slots .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is no five best.

To play along with the spirit of this eternal amusing debate ; I would hold that there would be 7 or 8 identifiable Roles . Then would would decide which roles you would skip , and where you would choose compromise guns that could check off multiple boxes .

Once upon a time . a good friend who looked to me for guidance in things gun , asked me " Hey Biggfoot , which gun should I get next ? , and my answer was none , you're set . With 3 .

A J frame , a 4in .357 , and a double stack DA/SA .45acp .

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    1. 9mm Sig, HK USP
    2. 12 Ga. Rem 870 / Mossberg 500
    3. * cough* AR only cause of it's common (ammo avail)
    4. M1A / HK91
    5, would be toss up between TRG-42 338LM or The Barrett 82 (only cause of ammo avail)

options would be
    1. !911
    5. M6 22LR / 410

bucket list
    Dillon 503 50cal
    Dillon 134A
    Ma-Duece HB
    20mm F-15E gun.
    M79 Bloop Tube

-Rock

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    To play along with the spirit of this eternal amusing debate ; I would hold that there would be 7 or 8 identifiable Roles . Then would would decide which roles you would skip , and where you would choose compromise guns that could check off multiple boxes .

Once upon a time . a good friend who looked to me for guidance in things gun , asked me " Hey Biggfoot , which gun should I get next ? , and my answer was none , you're set . With 3 .

A J frame , a 4in .357 , and a double stack DA/SA .45acp .
    Yeah when I met my FIL we talked about guns and he had 4. Said he had all he needed.
    12ga
    44 mag Ruger
    22 rifle
    30-30 lever
    Now about 35 years later his collection has grown substantially but truthfully his bases were covered pretty well but I’ll never tell him that. It’s been too much fun finding new treasures.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That brings to mind one of my mentors , and a living legend . He had 3 guns .

Nickle Detective Special
    Nickle Python 4 in
    Ruger M77 .300 Win Mag

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I tune out when people tell me what specific firearms I need. All I hear is "this is what I think I need, and I have such low self esteem that I want others to agree with me"

The only firearms that people need are: the ones they shoot well, the ones they think are beautiful, the ones that interest them, the ones that have personal or historical significance to them, the ones they think will be an investment, the ones that serve the purpose they are used for, and the ones they want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom