• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    300 BO is best for suppressing. Its very quiet with subsonic rounds and works better with sub 10 inch barrels.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    5.56. I try to stay away from fad calibers. Look what happened to the 6.8SPC, and some of the other "latest technology" rounds. .300blk is *kinda* cool if you shoot is suppressed. Non-suppressed is a waste of time and money. Just my opinion.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    5.56. I try to stay away from fad calibers. Look what happened to the 6.8SPC, and some of the other "latest technology" rounds. .300blk is *kinda* cool if you shoot is suppressed. Non-suppressed is a waste of time and money. Just my opinion.
    6.8 spc was fielded to the military as a replacement for the 556. The 300 Whisper was not fielded as a replacement for the 556. If anything, when AAC submitted the 300BLK for SAAMI certification, it only grew in popularity. It is easy to convert 556 brass to 300BLK and it uses all of the same AR parts as a 556, except for the barrel and flash hider.

It might be a fad caliber to you, but it has grown into more than just a niche caliber.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    6.8 spc was fielded to the military as a replacement for the 556. The 300 Whisper was not fielded as a replacement for the 556. If anything, when AAC submitted the 300BLK for SAAMI certification, it only grew in popularity. It is easy to convert 556 brass to 300BLK and it uses all of the same AR parts as a 556, except for the barrel and flash hider.

It might be a fad caliber to you, but it has grown into more than just a niche caliber.

Aside from using the same mags and bolt, how is it any better or more cost effective than a 7.62x39?

I just don't want to get into one, then poof everyone is on to the new caliber on AR15.com and .300blk dries up.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Aside from using the same mags and bolt, how is it any better or more cost effective than a 7.62x39?

I just don't want to get into one, then poof everyone is on to the new caliber on AR15.com and .300blk dries up.

Well if that happens, 300 ammo will come down in price?:D

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

That is when you convert LC brass and get those 30 cal boolits and reload it.

^^^ This

The 300 BLM is self sustaining. It is not a boutique round.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    ^^^ This The 300 BLM is self sustaining. It is not a boutique round.

This.

When your 5.56/.223 reaches end-of-life, don't toss it. Put it in a chop saw and make .300 BLK. Common brass, common projectiles.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I see both sides of this 'ponderment'. I see some application for the 300 but the 7.62x39 does the same thing and is very common. Then again, don't need more than a barrel for the 300....been tempted to try it...

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    One more thing. 7.62x39 is for Commies. You aren't a Commie, are you? :tap:

:lol:

I don't own any currently. :) I think my issue is I don't have a suppressor. Another one is that I feel like it is shoved down our throats with the whole tactical shovel everyone eats from these days. I have an instant reaction to dislike popular things for no other reason than to distance myself from the zombie headed pop culture obsessed sheep. Which makes me seem like a hipster, but I can't stand hipsters. This in turn seems to have bled over into my firearms hobby, which I consider a negative. I also boycotted Hunger Games because I heard NONSTOP conversation about how great it was. Well, I caved...and I LOVED those movies. JL is SMOKIN'. The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one. So my negative sentiments about .300 black are largely unfounded and seem to be a manifestation of a subconscious desire to be different.

59fecdb2421447827de29b0d3fa3dfed.jpg

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I don't own any currently. :) I think my issue is I don't have a suppressor. Another one is that I feel like it is shoved down our throats with the whole tactical shovel everyone eats from these days. I have an instant reaction to dislike popular things for no other reason than to distance myself from the zombie headed pop culture obsessed sheep. Which makes me seem like a hipster, but I can't stand hipsters. This in turn seems to have bled over into my firearms hobby, which I consider a negative. I also boycotted Hunger Games because I heard NONSTOP conversation about how great it was. Well, I caved...and I LOVED those movies. JL is SMOKIN'. The first step to fixing a problem is admitting you have one. So my negative sentiments about .300 black are largely unfounded and seem to be a manifestation of a subconscious desire to be different.

59fecdb2421447827de29b0d3fa3dfed.jpg

Tell you what. Next time you get back east and our schedules synch up, I'll let you take my 300BLK Bambi Slayer for a spin. I don't have a can for it, because I don't foresee the need to run subs on a deer rifle. If I am going to get a can for 300BLK, I'll just build a dedicated subsonic upper for use with the can.

I built my 300BLK for deer hunting, because I looked at the ballistics of the caliber. I also wanted a lightweight AR for schlepping up and down the countryside in WV, where I hunt. I managed to build an AR that weighs 8# +/- a few ounces, when fully loaded with a 20 round mag. That sure as hell beats my 11.5-12# LAR-8 in 308 with a 20 round mag in it.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

SBR use. 300blk works VERY well with a short barrel. It doesn't lose as much ballistically as most other rifle cartridges. If you're adding a suppressor to the SBR, there's no contest.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I don't own any currently. :) I think my issue is I don't have a suppressor.
    Then you are a commie.

I like the ballistics on the supersonic .300 BLK. People bitch that it doesn't go as far as 5.56. In a real SHTF situation, how far you gonna be shooting?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Same coin, different side. Da wifey is starting to get mroe into guns and has asked when I am getting my HQL, so I can buy some more handguns for her to play with. :rolleyes:

Uh, some more handguns for HER to play with???

You sly dog you!:lol2:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Then you are a commie.

:lol:

I like the ballistics on the supersonic .300 BLK. People bitch that it doesn't go as far as 5.56. In a real SHTF situation, how far you gonna be shooting?

I'm thinking "enemy at the gates" scenario.
    The 300 whisper and blackout were designed for close-up fighting in sub-sonic mode. That is where the round outshines the 7.62 'short' IMHO.
    The 7.62x39 was designed to shoot through walls(and unfortunately humans too). Not so for the 300Blk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom