• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g8tr

Mar 19, 2013
    Balto Co.
    I'm starting an AR build project, and am trying to decide on the caliber. I already own another AR in 5.56 (which I got from HogSniper) which is my "up close and personal" AR. Planned use is mostly punching holes on paper. Thoughts? I'm torn between building a 20" barrel 5.56 for more distance vs. getting something that will give me more variety and ammo diversity in case of future issues with supply. I don't reload, btw.

Thanks!
    g8tr

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    The quick answer is yes, get one of each :)

You can also just get one lower and two uppers (20" 5.56 and a 300 blk) and switch as your needs change.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    300blk is really useful suppressed, if you plan to go that route I would buy the 300. I own both though so I'm not much help lol

ajviera

Dec 25, 2015
    Avenue, MD
    I'm starting an AR build project, and am trying to decide on the caliber. I already own another AR in 5.56 (which I got from HogSniper) which is my "up close and personal" AR. Planned use is mostly punching holes on paper. Thoughts? I'm torn between building a 20" barrel 5.56 for more distance vs. getting something that will give me more variety and ammo diversity in case of future issues with supply. I don't reload, btw.

Thanks!
    g8tr

If your plan is to shoot @ distance I would recommend getting a barrel chambered in 223 Wylde, it's more accurate than 5.56 chamber but is not limited to just the 223 cartridge. Can shoot both 5.56 & 223. Rifle in picture has a 20" Ballistic Advantage barrel chambered in 223 Wylde shoots sub MOA with no problems with decent ammo..

Attachments

• FDE Build I.jpg
      FDE Build I.jpg
      73.4 KB · Views: 607

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    I have both and like them both. They're different guns. The 300 offers a subsonic/suppressed potential that I hope to try someday. It's fun to shoot. I do a little deer hunting with 125g bullets. It's basically a 30-30. Past 200 yds it drops off too much. It did move me into reloading, which I enjoy, because of the ammo costs.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I run my 300BLK as a deer rifle and a subsonic close in groundhog killer.

I'll use my precision AR for medium range varmint control.

You get the idea. Just get both and do it. You'll be happy you did it one day.

GUNSnROTORS

nude member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 7, 2013
    hic sunt dracones
    I run my 300BLK as a deer rifle and a subsonic close in groundhog killer.

I'll use my precision AR for medium range varmint control.

You get the idea. Just get both and do it. You'll be happy you did it one day.

Like the way DA thinks.

BTW, I thought we weren't allowed to say "run" anymore. ;)

OP, have several ARs based on .223 parent case. In addition to 300 Blackout, the 6x45 (6mm-223) is a versatile round. It's a wildcat, made by simply necking up .223/5.56.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Build the 5.56 20". If you're planning on punching a lot of paper, 5.56/.223 is the way to go. Save the 300blk for a pistol/SBR build. My 2¢

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Like someone else mentioned, and this is speculation but building an AR is divided into two parts (with those calibers) so maybe think of it as building another upper since the lower is about the same. So my answer would be the 223 Wylde now and 300 will soon follow.
    Also think about grabbing an extra lower vs any other build given the political situation. My bet is that you will take up reloading eventually as well. Have fun.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Personally I would set up a long range 223 Wylde rifle. This will give you more versatility. If you want a 300 BLK just get a second upper for the AR you already have.

In a SHTF senario 223/5.56 will be available in greater quantities then others.

Oh and if you have to get approval from your wife you are doing it wrong. My wife and I work together for a common goal. We know what needs to be paid for, saved and what is disposable.

g8tr

Mar 19, 2013
    Balto Co.
    Thank you all for the great feedback. I've decided to stick to the 5.56 for now, and I do like the idea of a second upper - I hadn't thought of that option.

Best,
    g8tr

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom