• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    From what I understand, you don't want to put a suppressor on an AR with a barrel under 10.5" because of bullet stability, is that correct?

Excellent point. Most manufacturers say something to the effect of "for use on 10.5" length barrels or greater". If memory serves, Thunderbeast Arms manufactures a can for use on 7" barrels, but I do not recall the model offhand.

mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Really short AR's will have a lot more baffle erosion more than anything. The pressure at that short length beats on the blast baffle.

barrel5.jpg

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    From what I understand, you don't want to put a suppressor on an AR with a barrel under 10.5" because of bullet stability, is that correct?

Depends on the barrel and bullet weight/length. I have an Adams Arms 7.5" piston upper with 1/7 twist heavy barrel, and a Tactical Innovations 5.56 suppressor. Never had any problems, as long as I run 55-62gr bullets. I had a VERY slight end cap strike when I was using some Nosler 70+gr bullets, but as you know, bullet stabilization is always key for the barrel in which you are running. For the shorter barrels with a suppressor, just make sure you have a heavier barrel (better harmonics), and match the bullet with the barrel, and you should be fine. A free float hand guard probably wouldn't hurt either. Just my personal experience.

iHasCrabs

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2011
    Blue POint Crab House
    Excellent point. Most manufacturers say something to the effect of "for use on 10.5" length barrels or greater". If memory serves, Thunderbeast Arms manufactures a can for use on 7" barrels, but I do not recall the model offhand.

Saker is warrantied to 7" as well. Was one of the main reasons I went with that over the socom

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Any AR-15 SBR with a 10.5 inch barrel will work for that solution. Also with shorter barrel firearms, you can get away with a slightly heavier suppressor.

It may be a bit off-topic for a thread labeled '5.56 suppressor options', but I want to do this for a 9mm AR.
    The way I understand the behavior of 9mm, there is very little fps gain once barrel length exceeds 8in (the only reason 9mm carbines come with 16in barrels is regulatory). I dont want to suppress to 'movie quiet' but just enough that I dont go completely deaf while using the thing indoors. So with a 8in barrel and one of the shortish 5in pistol suppressors permanently mounted, I should end up with something that fulfills the length requirements and still spits 9mm rounds at velocities a bit above what a handgun would provide.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    It may be a bit off-topic for a thread labeled '5.56 suppressor options', but I want to do this for a 9mm AR.
    The way I understand the behavior of 9mm, there is very little fps gain once barrel length exceeds 8in (the only reason 9mm carbines come with 16in barrels is regulatory). I dont want to suppress to 'movie quiet' but just enough that I dont go completely deaf while using the thing indoors. So with a 8in barrel and one of the shortish 5in pistol suppressors permanently mounted, I should end up with something that fulfills the length requirements and still spits 9mm rounds at velocities a bit above what a handgun would provide.

Well, that's a whole lot easier. I assumed you were looking for a 5.56 can. Drop by the shop sometime and I'll show you some options.

rockstarartist

I shoot like an android
    May 3, 2009
    Baltimore City
    What i would love to see is an excel spreadsheet with decibel suppresssion wet and dry, can weight, can size/length, locking type (with benefits and negatives) of all the different suppressors out there.

I will be in the market for one soon and I am just starting my research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom