• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I'm considering buying a 5.56 can for my AR. It would be probably be living on one or two rifles as standard equipment, so quick detach is not a requirement. Light weight and good suppression are. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Afdiesel

Mar 7, 2013
    Middletown
    Surefire SOCOM. Very well built and effective. I have a 5.56 in purgatory at the dealer. I love my 7.62 for my .308 and .300 blackout. Jim has some in stock at continental. Short barrel, mini and standard version too. I wouldn't get a mini for maximum sound attenuation but I got the short barrel version. According to the rep it has the same suppression as the standard but holds a little more back pressure for under gassed guns.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    The Gemtech G5 QD is also a good option, as well as their Trek threadmount. I have a few of Gemtech's new titanium GMT Halo on the way as well.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Is there a silencer that counts as permanently attached muzzle device (allowing one to remain over 29in for a MD compliant SBR).

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I've said this several times on this board, but I will say it again... look at titanium cans! You would not believe how heavy that huge chunk of steel is at the end of a barrel... it destroys the handling of the gun. You will not notice a couple db difference, but even a few ounces makes a easily noticeable difference.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    I've said this several times on this board, but I will say it again... look at titanium cans! You would not believe how heavy that huge chunk of steel is at the end of a barrel... it destroys the handling of the gun. You will not notice a couple db difference, but even a few ounces makes a easily noticeable difference.

... and again I agree! Weight at the end of the muzzle matters A LOT! Look hard at titanium suppressors, especially if being put on barrels 16 inches or greater.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I've got Ti cans in mind. This would not be my first suppressor purchase...and I know full well that it pays to buy the very best.

precisionfire

May 20, 2011
    Martinsburg WV
    Look closely at the Titanium Suppressors that Gemtech offers. They are well made. Also you may want to get a 30 Cal suppressor so if you ever get a 300 AAC caliber upper for your AR you can have a truly suppressed rifle. You will only lose a few decibels with using it on a 5.56 but with the ballistic crack of the 5.56 you won't even notice. Now Subsonic with a 300 AAC, that is as quiet as it gets. Loudest noise is the bullet striking target and the action cycling. I deer hunt in WV with a Suppressed 300 AAC in a subdivision! My neighbors don't even hear it inside their houses and when they are outside they don't recognize it as a rifle.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD
    How do you clean it then ? You have to disassemble everything mounted on the upper ?

That would depend on the firearm host the suppressor was permanently mounted to. It's not the best idea in the first place, but it can be done. If I were going to attach a 5.56 suppressor to an AR permanently, I would go with a monocore threadmount can for ease of cleaning- the threaded core stays attached to the barrel, but you can remove the end cap and tube to access the baffles for maintenance. It's not the ideal situation, but I believe it to be the best compromise for what you are trying to achieve, short of buying an integrally suppressed barrel.

I'm working on an identical setup for a vz61 Skorpion suppressed SBR with a permanently attached Thompson Machine ISIS 9mm can.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    That would depend on the firearm host the suppressor was permanently mounted to. It's not the best idea in the first place, but it can be done. If I were going to attach a 5.56 suppressor to an AR permanently,

What I am thinking about is an AR based SBR with a supressor that is just long enough to be approvable in MD.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    What I am thinking about is an AR based SBR with a supressor that is just long enough to be approvable in MD.

Any AR-15 SBR with a 10.5 inch barrel will work for that solution. Also with shorter barrel firearms, you can get away with a slightly heavier suppressor. It's when you have a 16 inch barrel and then put a 20-24oz suppressor on the end, is when the thing starts to act like a boat anchor. The more the rifle is balanced, the better it will feel. I would recommend putting in for the SBR paperwork with a 10.5 inch barrel, so the OAL will be 29 inches or greater, and in the mean time create an AR-15 pistol... that's if you already have the receiver. At the same time you can shop around for a suppressor of your choosing, whether it be a direct thread-on, or a QD mount. Vince can help you out with that, but make sure you get something in stock, so you're not waiting forever for the suppressor as well. Good hunting.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD

The crux of this issue is going to be whether you plan to build or buy. As Bob noted above, the OAL can be attained without permanently mounting your suppressor with a 10.5" barrel in most ARs. If you do not have a receiver, then your options for purchasing a SBR are more limited, as they are subject to the same requirements as a handgun purchase- roster board, internal lock, HQL, etc.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The crux of this issue is going to be whether you plan to build or buy. As Bob noted above, the OAL can be attained without permanently mounting your suppressor with a 10.5" barrel in most ARs. If you do not have a receiver, then your options for purchasing a SBR are more limited, as they are subject to the same requirements as a handgun purchase- roster board, internal lock, HQL, etc.

From what I understand, you don't want to put a suppressor on an AR with a barrel under 10.5" because of bullet stability, is that correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom