5.56 reloading, which primers for AR-15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    I've been using the Winchester primers for a while and never had a primer pierce, not saying it can't happen, but I guess I've been lucky. I use Remington primers also.
    The 8208 XBR is all I use in my 5.56 AR's, definately a good choice in powder for 223/5.56. :thumbsup:

I found out the hard way about Winchester primers piercing. Cost me a bolt and firing pin! Used the same load with other primers and never had an issue.
    Word to the wise.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I found out the hard way about Winchester primers piercing. Cost me a bolt and firing pin! Used the same load with other primers and never had an issue.
    Word to the wise.

Good to know, but I've got so many Winchester primers stockpiled I've got to use them.:o

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Noticed that. It is over on the USRifleteams.com national match forum under The Loading Bench, Topic Hornady 75 HPBT load data? post # 39.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I've been using the Winchester primers for a while and never had a primer pierce, not saying it can't happen, but I guess I've been lucky. I use Remington primers also.
    The 8208 XBR is all I use in my 5.56 AR's, definately a good choice in powder for 223/5.56. :thumbsup:

I read good things about 8208xbr have some haven't tried it yet

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    So my sierra load data does not mention 8208 xbr at all so I will stay away from that. But I found 8 lbs of tac and n140 so I might just get the tac and see what kind of ground
    s I pull. Also my load data only shows remington 7 1/2s but natchez is out of those also lol.

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    1 because the load I use calls for it.
    2 It's a match grade primer and I build that gun to shoot 77gr pills up a nats ass.
    3 Most importantly to me I'm anal as hell and want to shoot as tight as groups as I can.
    4 see 3

#4 is my favorite :lol:

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Local prices on Winchester primers is crazy. I can get CCI 41s for the same price as standard Winchester. No thanks. I have a small stash of 41s, when I get more 77gr SMKs I'll be loading up with them. Standard loads, I'm using the cheapest SR primers I can get that still go bang.

chad2

Mar 26, 2011
    Local prices on Winchester primers is crazy. I can get CCI 41s for the same price as standard Winchester. No thanks. I have a small stash of 41s, when I get more 77gr SMKs I'll be loading up with them. Standard loads, I'm using the cheapest SR primers I can get that still go bang.

Yeah i think I am going to stick with 400s or 41s

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So my sierra load data does not mention 8208 xbr at all so I will stay away from that. But I found 8 lbs of tac and n140 so I might just get the tac and see what kind of ground
    s I pull. Also my load data only shows remington 7 1/2s but natchez is out of those also lol.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com. You can never have too much reloading data!

It's surprising how many top-o-the line powder and bullet companies fall short of keeping up with modern reloading. These are two prime examples(and I frequent them both with the hopes of updates).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Haven't had a slam-fire yet and that's with a JP FCG in it(no bump fires either).

Slam fire has nothing to do with the FCG, it has to do with the floating firing pin.

For match rounds, I would probably use Remington #7 1/2 Small Rifle Bench Rest primers.

They are "rated" for the AR-15 and similar uses. Harder cup.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Slam fire has nothing to do with the FCG, it has to do with the floating firing pin.

For match rounds, I would probably use Remington #7 1/2 Small Rifle Bench Rest primers.

They are "rated" for the AR-15 and similar uses. Harder cup.

So how do you distinguish between a slam-fire and/or a bump fire?

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Everything I've ever read indicates that it's the floating pin combined with a high primer that's required to induce a slamfire in an AR15.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

Berger has data for 8208 in their manual, they seem to be on the conservative side though. You can call Sierra to get data for IMR 8208. Phone: 1-800-223-8799. You can also go to the USRifleteams.com , national match forum and search; 8208 loads, to see what serious across the course shooters are using. I recently did just that and they seem to have settled on 23.2 gr. of 8208 for 77's and 80's. I have not tried that load as yet but will get around to it next time I load test for my spacegun. As always, start low and work up since not every rifle will show the same results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom